21 October 2002

Jury Duty (almost)

Thursday, 17 October

I received a letter, dated 16 October, saying that I have jury duty in 5 days (Tuesday). Rather than being held at the closer Perth District Court, it is to be held out at Fremantle :( The Weird thing is that it says that I should notify them at least 5 days before hand if I should be excluded.

I spent the weekend wondering about what it will be like, and wondering why it was scheduled at such short notice.

Monday, 21 October

I received an overnight envelope saying that the Court case out at Fremantle has been rescheduled to be held in the Perth Court, so I am no longer required. This letter was dated 17 October.

I am a bit pissed off about this. I don’t mind getting called for jury duty, but I would expect slightly more notice. If it was going to be cancelled, I would also prefer to hear about it earlier than the night before hand.


The client side of PyORBit should be pretty usable now. Marshalling and demarshalling of pretty much all types is working well. I ported most of test/everything/client.c to Python using PyORBit, which helped test the a lot of the code.

I support pretty much all of the complex types pretty well (structures, unions, sequences, arrays, exceptions, anys).

I fixed the weird typelib bug (bug 94513), and checked the fix into both HEAD and gnome-2-0 branches of ORBit2 (haven’t had a release yet though). I need to look at porting the fix for bug 93928 back to the gnome-2-0 branch. I ran into some other bugs while working on the union support: bug 95581 and bug 95591. Hopefully I can get both of these resolved and a new ORBit2-2.4.x release put out.

As the client side of things is mostly working, I am tossing up on whether to port gnome-python over to using it. I should probably wait for a tarball release of ORBit2 though …

4 October 2002


Registrations are now open!


Fixed up handling of return values for all types. Now I need to look at the handling of arguments. The semantics of ORBit_small_invoke_stub are non trivial. Also fixed a bug in the marshalling of sequences to python types.

Tracked down and fixed one of the typelib bugs. Turned out to be a subtle bug in the IDL compiler.