28 April 2003

Red Hat 9

Installed it on a few boxes, and I like what I see so far. The Bluecurve mouse cursors look really nice. It is also good to see some more of my packages included in the distro (fontilus and pyorbit).


Some spammer has been sending mail with random @daa.com.au addresses in the From: field. So far, I have received lots of double bounces, a few messages asking if we know about the spam, and many automated responses (some saying the message came from a blocked domain!). The Received headers indicate that the mail comes from somewhere else, so there isn’t much I can do. I hate spammers.

I put up a bit of documentation on the SpamAssassin/Mailman setup I developed on my website. It would be good to get mail.gnome.org switched over to the new setup (they are using an older version of my filter), as it has greatly reduced the amount of moderation required.


Did a bit more hacking on jhbuild. It now builds fontconfig and Xft from CVS, which should give Keith a few more testers. I had to update jhbuild to use libtool-1.5 as it was required to build them. This has uncovered a few bugs in various autogen.sh scripts that still need to be fixed. I also added the ability to override the cvsroots used to check things out (so if you have an account capable of writing to gstreamer from cvs, you can use it), and change the branches for individual modules which should be useful for module maintainers.


I am about half way through modifying libglade to construct arbitrary GObjects, rather than just widgets. When this is finished, it will allow eg. setting up tree view columns in the .glade file, size groups and a few other things. The change will break compatibility for backend modules, but should keep binary compatibility for apps. This seems okay given that there are only about 3-4 backend modules in existance (which add support for libgnomeui widgets, gnome-canvas and libbonoboui widgets).