Made a few more changes to the Gnome viewcvs. Pretty much all of the original ugly colour scheme is gone now, and I got it to pretty print some more files with gnome specific file extensions.

We are maintaining the modifications in CVS using the standard vendor branch/main branch setup. Since the cvs import command is one that people screw up the most, I wrote some scripts to help with exporting viewcvs from upstream CVS and then importing it into our CVS.

When I went to test the script, it worked fairly well, except for the fact that some of the template files had been moved between the two pulls. Since there was no link between the two different file names, CVS wasn’t able to merge my local changes. Other than that, the merge went okay.

I wonder if Arch or Subversion would have been able to handle this situation any better, given that the upstream repository didn’t record that the file had been moved?

14 April 2004

  • Post author:
  • Post category:Uncategorized


After the breakin at the web server, the CVS server were moved over to the new server HP donated. However, the LXR and Bonsai tools weren’t considered as high a priority, so have not been restored yet.

Since it was easier to set up than either LXR or Bonsai, I set up ViewCVS (with jdub‘s help), so we now have online repository browsing again. It doesn’t provide all the features found in the other packages, so it’ll be good to get them set up again too though.

We made a few superficial changes to the templates to make them look a bit more gnomey, but they probably still need a bit more work.


Merged a patch to add an optional "make clean" phase to jhbuild, and added a "make check" phase (also off by default). These should be useful for the unattended “tinderbox” mode.

It does increase the complexity a bit, so I think I’ll have to look at how to simplify it a bit (probably pull a bit more of the logic out of the program code).