Honey Bock Results

Since bottling the honey bock last month, I’ve tried a bottle last week and this week. While it is a very nice beer, the honey flavour is not very noticeable. That said, the second bottle I tried had a slightly stronger honey flavour than the first so it might just need to mature for another month or so.

If I was to do this beer again, it would make sense to use a stronger flavoured honey or just use more honey. Then again, perhaps it isn’t worth trying honey flavoured dark beers.

One beer I’d like to make again is Chilli Beer.  I haven’t seen any commercial equivalent to it, and it was great on a hot summer afternoon.  Since there were chilli pieces in the bottles of the last batch, it got hotter as it matured.  It is an interesting experience where taking a sip of the beer cools your moth down, but it starts heating up again once you swallow.

6 Comments

1. Posted 10 April, 2008 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Wow. Chilli beer does sound great. One of my favourite beers is Badger Blandford Fly. A beer flavoured with ginger. The taste is so powerful it’s difficult to consume a whole bottle but it’s great to share.

2. Sebastian Bengtsson
    Posted 10 April, 2008 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Well, honey can make really great imperial stouts. Check out this one:
    Amazing flavour. It is a very small bottle but I would suggest sharing it with one or more persons.

3. Peter
    Posted 11 April, 2008 at 2:08 am | Permalink

The Sail and Anchor in Fremantle has done a chilli beer as a summer feature on a couple of occasions before.

4. Posted 11 April, 2008 at 5:36 am | Permalink

Check out Rogue’s Chipotle Ale … http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/354

Mix it with their Chocolate Stout to make “the mole”. ;)

5. Posted 11 April, 2008 at 7:35 am | Permalink

That honey bock sounds great!

Here’s a chili beer that I’ve enjoyed: http://www.chilibeer.com/index2.htm (music on site)

6. Posted 11 April, 2008 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Rob: Sounds nice. I think the last ginger flavoured beer I had was Speight’s Samradh Ale from Dunedin NZ. Maybe I’ll try and find some Blandford Fly next time I’m in the UK.

Sebastian: I see that that beer says it has been aged for 2.5 months. I guess I’ll hold off judgement on my beer for a few more months.