My University decided to publish some videos using an DivX Codec. These videos are part of some Software Engineering class and serves as a replacement for real customer interaction.
Anyway, I decided to transcode those videos using a free codec and I boldly announced, that I’ll do that without actually knowing how much work that’d be. In fact, I feared kilobytes of arguments to mencoder or ffmpeg. I also didn’t want to use new and awesome stuff like Transmageddon or Arista, because I wanted a really simple solution, like any2wav. I imagined something like any2theora which simply does what I want.
It turns out, that ffmpeg2theora exists and it does exactly what I want. It is really simple to use, no command line argument whatsoever to produce a well working Theora encoded video with Vorbis encoded sound.