August 2, 2009
This week… 2195 commits, in 186 projects, by 288 happy hackers (and 328 were translation commits).
- Now that gnome-doc-utils and yelp both have support for Mallard documents, Milo Casagrande converted gnome-hello documentation to the new format.
- After some discussion on the gnomecc list the default toolbar style has been changed to “Text beside items”.
- Sabayon was changed to use Xephyr instead of Xnest, as Xephyr supports the “new” X extensions.
- gnome-session has been fixed to not exit when the system bus restarts . (GNOME bug 583345)
- A new “ssh” plugin appeared in vinagre, which is becoming a universal tool to access remote systems.
- Robin Stocker added to Totem the functionality to remember the current position of a stream when pausing or closing . (GNOME bug 164918)
- After Hylke Bons posted some thoughts on the font viewer Thomas Wood started implementing the proposed ideas, in the “font-viewer-revamp” branch of the GNOME Control Center.
- Anjuta Git plugin gained an option to initialize new repositories . (GNOME bug 566698)
- Finally, during this 10th week of the summer of code, students were hard at work, some noticeable advancements:
- Paul A. Bellamy successfully implemented syncing and a properties dialog for MTP devices in Rhythmbox;
- Neil Loknath added streaming to Banshee using Telepathy, you can now stream a contact’s music after downloading their library info;
- Paulo Cabido merged the plugin engine with Getting Things Gnome main development branch.
July 19, 2009
This week… 1954 commits, in 172 projects, by 279 happy hackers (and 293 were translation commits).
- Amitakhya Phukan added Assamese translations to a bunch of modules.
- Pierre Wieser rewrote much of the foundations of nautilus-actions, and ported to GtkBuilder along the way.
- Along the same line Felix Riemann removed the last bit of libglade from gnome-settings-daemon (GNOME bug 582502); Jaap Haitsma ported gnome-nettool (GNOME bug 580149), Christopher Taylor did gnome-screensaver (GNOME bug 463010), and Javier Jardón migrated the GTK+ wizard of Anjuta.
- A target to generate PDF files have been added to gtk-doc exposed targets.
- Several release team scripts, and jhbuild, have added support for SHA-256, to replace MD5 checksums with a better hashing algorithm.
- Thanks to Thibault Saunier, libgdata gained support for the Google Documents service (GNOME bug 587073); this is an important step in his Nautilus: Add support to Google docs for GNOME GSOC.
- Evolution got a rewrite of its calendar cache, backends will be migrating to it after some more testing.
- Working on GtkTreeView performances Benjamin Otte looked at Epiphany location bar and changed it to set a fixed width on its cell renderer.
- Murray Cumming published a toolpalette branch for GTK+, implementing a new tool palette container widget, with groups of toolbar items that can be shown as a grid of icons or a list of names (GNOME bug 567729).
- Also in GTK+ Michael Natterer added a bunch of API to access sealed flags or members, as they are necessary for applications to port applications to a GSEAL-enabled GTK+.
- Banshee added support for WebOS, used in the Palm Pre (GNOME bug 585112).
- Ray Strode ported the GDM greeter to PolicyKit 1.0, and made it so, that in case of duplicated names, it appends the username to differentiate the entries.
- After discussing the matter with designers at GUADEC, William Jon McCann patched libgnome to disable icons on menu items and buttons (GNOME bug 583352, GNOME bug 557469); guidelines on the proper usage of icons should now be published.