March 29, 2009
This week… 1396 commits, in 196 projects, by 161 happy hackers (and 354 were translation commits).
- Vincent Untz commited his changes to session management (GNOME bug 552387).
- gnome-disk-utility has been ported to the new DeviceKit-disks, that uses libatasmart.
- Rhythmbox switched to using GStreamer decodebin2 instead of decodebin, that fixed playback of chained ogg streams.
- Brasero split into backend (libbrasero-burn) and application was finished, the new library API now needs to be refined.
- gpointing-device-settings got support for tap move and palm detection.
- Sebastian Dröge started porting totem GStreamer backend to playbin2 . (GNOME bug 542663)
- gnome-bluetooth device chooser saw some merging of device types into categories (mice and keyboard in “input devices”, headphones, headsets and others in “audio devices”…), making easier to find a select devices.
- libchamplain added a way to make visible a bunch of markers (GNOME bug 574809) and smooth movement to a new position (GNOME bug 557641).
- Anjal saw many changes, such as working Delete/Junk, a formatting toolbar, and the possibility to open mails in new tabs.
March 22, 2009
This week… 2594 commits, in 269 projects, by 223 happy hackers (and 993 were translation commits).
- 2.26 got released on Wednesday, and translators worked hard, a special mention for the Maithili and Assamese teams, that improved their percentages by near 20 points.
- An initial backend support for GDB Variable Objects landed in Nemiver.
- Philippe Rouquier started splitting brasero between backend and application.
- The Mini-Commander applet got support for https URL . (GNOME bug 575782)
- Cosimo Cecchi fixed nautilus to spawn its windows on the correct screen, instead of always using the default one . (GNOME bug 555078)
- Epiphany got support for translucent link-message statusbar, ‘Inspired’ from Chrome, will show the link-message in a translucent floating div on the bottom left corner of the web view if the normal statusbar is hidden.
- Cody Russel improved the GTK+ menu theming on Win32, using the new menu styling API, it makes GTK+ looks much better on Windows Vista . (GNOME bug 538840)
- Rhythmbox will now use the new GtkEntry API for the “clear” icon in its search entry, rather than libsexy’s SexyIconEntry; also GnomeHRef usage has been replaced with GtkLinkButton, that removes the libgnome dependency.
- Also the Rhythmbox Jamendo XML parser got rewritten to create database entries in a single pass, rather than creating an intermediate structure and converting that to database entries. This speeds up catalogue loading and reduces memory consumption . (GNOME bug 424423)
- Rygel got transcoding support, from any format (that GStreamer can handle) to
mp3, LPCM and mpeg transport stream.
- In the Murrine GTK+ engine Andrea Cimitan removed shadows from comboboxentry’s button and welcomes any feedback on this.
- Finally two new modules in Subversion this week: Jordi Mas imported Mistelixa, a DVD authoring tool, and Krzesimir Nowak imported libvtemm, C++ bindings to libvte.
March 15, 2009
This week… 2312 commits, in 240 projects, by 194 happy hackers (and 1253 were translation commits).
- Hard code freeze started this week, things settle down and translators are hard at task, there is now 8 languages at 100% and 44 languages over the 80% mark. The Oriya team is again leading the progress show with a mind-boggling increase of 17 points (that is almost 7500 strings!), it is now at 77%; other particulary noteworthy teams are Malayalam (+11 points), Hindi (+10), Telugu and Tamil (+8), Greek and Assamese (+7).
- A major discussion happened in gtk-devel-list over fsync in glib/gio, led by Alexander Larsson with a patch to gio making sure fsync() is called and adding a new G_FILE_CREATE_ASYNC_WRITE flag. A patch to call fsync() was also applied to gedit.
- Epiphany trunk is again preparing a WebKit future with profile migration from the old Mozilla backends (both SQLite and txt formats).
- To perfectly match nautilus-cd-burner, Brasero added a CD/DVD Creator entry to the System Tools menu, to start up a Nautilus window in burn :// (GNOME bug 573790)
- Dan Winship seriously improved libsoup documentation.
- Rhythmbox got a new CD burning plugin, using brasero, that is now built in preference to the nautilus-cd-burner plugin . (GNOME bug 536732)
- Andrea Cimitan updated his Murrine theme to support the “progress bar in entry” that is new in GTK+ 2.16.
- Ray Strode disabled the user presence stuff from gdm for now until some of the pieces that make it useful get fleshed out.
- Finally Vincent Untz spent much time to fix session saving for 2.26, be sure to test the patch now attached to GNOME bug 552387.
March 1, 2009
This week… 1904 commits, in 187 projects, by 204 happy hackers (and 641 were translation commits).
- British English is the first language to reach 100%, there is now eight languages with over 99% of the UI strings translated, sixteen with over 95%, and 39 over the 80% mark (used to be listed in the release notes).
- There are three new modules in Subversion this week: Gnome Format, a GNOME media formatter, developed by Michael Kanis, gpointing-device-settings, a program for touchpad and trackpad settings, developed by Hiroyuki Ikezoe, and gio-strigi, a GIO wrapper for Strigi, developed by Philip Van Hoof.
- Davyd Madeley started preparing the stage for the 2.26 release notes.
- Following on last week work, Alexander Larsson worked on trusted desktop file launchers in Nautilus.
- Rhythmbox got a D-Bus interface for adding and removing DAAP shares . (GNOME bug 570115)
- GParted added detection of the BRTFS file system.
- David Zeuthen added a –device option to gvfs-mount.
- Support for taking a screenshot of an user-defined selection landed in gnome-screenshot . (GNOME bug 155061, opened in October 2004)
- Lucas Rocha merged his session-saving branch into gnome-session trunk.
- Epiphany (webkit) started using SoupProxyResolverGNOME, so it gets support for GNOME proxy settings through libproxy.
- Bastien Nocera announced the fork of bluez-gnome that is now available in gnome-bluetooth.
- Orca got support for notify-osd (the new Ubuntu notification daemon).