August 30, 2009
This week… 3183 commits, in 208 projects, by 294 happy hackers (and 1032 were translation commits).
- In gnome-disk-utility David Zeuthen landed the new ATA SMART user interface.
- Rhythmbox gained support for downloading cover art from discogs.com and MusicBrainz (GNOME bug 410684).
- The libchamplain map widget gained support for keyboard shortcuts, to navigate and zoom the map . (GNOME bug 582872)
- Ekiga switched to boost for both smart pointers and signals (GNOME bug 575005)
- The “kill-bonobo” branch of Evolution is now the “master” git branch, this marked 45 old bugs as fixed.
- gconf-editor has been ported to PolicyKit 1.0 . (GNOME bug 585596)
- A shutter sound will now be played when taking a screenshot (GNOME bug 592372).
- Gnome Shell improved the way it displays search results, it now has bigger fonts and brighter colour for the headings, and more padding.
- Daniel Elstner worked on the C++ bindings so they could get their API references published on library.gnome.org.
- Jean Bréfort moved gnumeric to use GooCanvas instead of FooCanvas.
- Finally devhelp has been ported to make use of libunique.
August 23, 2009
This week… 2565 commits, in 231 projects, by 273 happy hackers (and 652 were translation commits).
- Andoni Morales imported longomatch, a sports video analysis tool for coaches and sports scientists using Mono and GStreamer, into git.gnome.org.
- Empathy gained optional support for connman (as used in Moblin) to manage its connectivity status. Sjoerd Simons also pushed his branch porting Empathy to Mission Control 5, which improves the foundations of Empathy and makes integrating Telepathy with the desktop more practical.
- Zhang Sen finished his Summer of Code pushing a new collaborative mode to his sudoku over telepathy tubes.
- The Evolution Exchange autoconfig wizard has been ported to GtkAssistant, evolution-exchange is now libgnome(ui) free . (GNOME bug 580904)
- The “About Me” configuration window was ported to PolicyKit 1.0, to be honest this amounted to removing all traces of PolicyKit from the application.
- Orca got special casing for the no break space character since some synthesizers cannot handle them . (GNOME bug 591734)
- Daniel Elstner continued his work, cleaning the build process of many C++ bindings, and converted the examples in the gtkmm documentation to non-recursive build.
- Brian Cameron improved the documentation for a11y configuration of gdm . (GNOME bug 141378)
- In the Panel Vincent Untz fixed several issues related to multi monitor use cases.
August 17, 2009
This week… 2799 commits, in 207 projects, by 314 happy hackers (and 707 were translation commits).
- Nautilus has been changed to inhibit gnome-power-manager when copying files (GNOME bug 334806).
- Simon van der Linden landed much of his summer of code work on pybank (using gobject-introspection to create dynamic Python bindings to gobject libraries) in the gsco2009 branch.
- GConf has removed its libgnome dependency (which was casued by a test client ) (GNOME bug 586435), and was ported to the PolicyKit 1.0 API (GNOME bug 585303).
- Benjamin Otte ported byzanz (screencast tool) from gnome-vfs to gio, and from gdk to cairo.
- Thanks to a change in libgweather it is now possible to add an UTC time entry to the clock applet . (GNOME bug 541145)
- Jean Bréfort added a new cairo-based canvas to goffice, to be used in Gnumeric, to replace foocanvas.
- Every little part of gnome-panel has been ported to GtkBuilder.
- The gvfs gphoto2 backend and monitor were ported to gudev.
- Most of the C++ bindings were transitioned to a new build infrastructure, using the new mm-common module.
- In Yelp Shaun McCance added the possibility for ghelp: URIs to reference Mallard documents.
- And an all-new Mallard documentation, mostly written by Milo Casagrande and Phil Bull, has been merged into Empathy.
- Dan Winship ported SoupAddress to use GResolver, new in the latest GLib.
- Finally Matthew Barnes added support for “Fifth Sunday *of the month*” to Evolution (in his kill-bonobo branch) (and it also works for other weekdays !) (GNOME bug 328361).
August 9, 2009
This week… 1813 commits, in 179 projects, by 261 happy hackers (and 401 were translation commits).
- Totem has been updated to use its new logo in both the browser plugin and main player (GNOME bug 480200), and to display embedded cover images in audio streams (GNOME bug 581249).
- Marek Kašík added SVG support to GtkPrintBackendFile, this allows printing to SVG 1.2 files. (GNIME bug 357655)
- Gimp got a palette export script which allows exporting palettes to .css, .php, .py, .txt and .java by adding a Export to menu item in the palette context menu in the Palettes dockable . (GNOME bug 304399)
- Paolo Bacchilega imported his “ext” branch to gthumb, that refactors much of it into a system of extensions.
- In GNOME Shell Marina Zhurakhinskaya enabled hot corner for triggering the overview mode; to enter and leave the overview mode by just moving the mouse to the top left corner of the screen,
and Owen Taylor added a desktop file, to allow making GNOME Shell the desktop default by adding it to the auto-start items
- Empathy was changed so dragndropping contacts will move them from group to group, instead of duplicating them in both groups . (GNOME bug 585443)
- David Zeuthen added a first usable version of the Create RAID Array dialog to GNOME Disk Utility.
- A new display-configuration branch has been created in gdm, to pursue GNOME bug 536355, to get back the ability to start and stop displays dynamically.
- Xan Lopez reimplemented a password viewer for Epiphany, that fetches the data from the GNOME keyring, which is where WebKit stores it . (GNOME bug 579217)
- In his Summer of Code project Guillaume Beland ported gnibbles to Clutter 1.0, fixed a collision bug and added some nice animations and effects.
August 2, 2009
This week… 2195 commits, in 186 projects, by 288 happy hackers (and 328 were translation commits).
- Now that gnome-doc-utils and yelp both have support for Mallard documents, Milo Casagrande converted gnome-hello documentation to the new format.
- After some discussion on the gnomecc list the default toolbar style has been changed to “Text beside items”.
- Sabayon was changed to use Xephyr instead of Xnest, as Xephyr supports the “new” X extensions.
- gnome-session has been fixed to not exit when the system bus restarts . (GNOME bug 583345)
- A new “ssh” plugin appeared in vinagre, which is becoming a universal tool to access remote systems.
- Robin Stocker added to Totem the functionality to remember the current position of a stream when pausing or closing . (GNOME bug 164918)
- After Hylke Bons posted some thoughts on the font viewer Thomas Wood started implementing the proposed ideas, in the “font-viewer-revamp” branch of the GNOME Control Center.
- Anjuta Git plugin gained an option to initialize new repositories . (GNOME bug 566698)
- Finally, during this 10th week of the summer of code, students were hard at work, some noticeable advancements:
- Paul A. Bellamy successfully implemented syncing and a properties dialog for MTP devices in Rhythmbox;
- Neil Loknath added streaming to Banshee using Telepathy, you can now stream a contact’s music after downloading their library info;
- Paulo Cabido merged the plugin engine with Getting Things Gnome main development branch.