August 8, 2010
This week… 2649 commits, in 194 projects, by 282 happy hackers (and 522 were translation commits).
- Ruben Vermeersch updated f-spot to show import failures after the import command is done.
- Nate Stedman made ease use a single instance, using libunique.
- A long list of deprecations (GdkImage, GdkGC…) has landed in the GTK+ 2.21 branch, to match functions and objects that were removed in GTK+ 3.
- Andrea Cimitan added blur capabilities to his Murrine GTK+ engine.
- GEdit got a GSettings migration file (GNOME bug 619898).
- In GNOME Color Manager Richard Hugues added the possibility to flick between different images in the profile viewer.
- Validation of UTF-8 strings when serializing from blob has been added to GDBus.
- GNOME Power Manager EggConsoleKit has been converted to use GDBus.
- Philip Withnall added a key-file backend to folks, to store links made between contacts.
- Epiphany web inspector got new capabilities, including docking in Epiphany’s window, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote about this in WebKitGTK+ and the Web Inspector.
- Aaron Bockover added the Amazon MP3 server proxy code tat is used to redirect the user to the correct Amazon store, set the Amazon Affiliate ID on requests, and generally provide a level of indirection.
- Bastien Nocera added support for Last.fm’s new XSPF extensions to totem-pl-parser.
- Jiří Techet introduced a memory cache, and removed the non-persistent file cache, to store tiles in libchamplain.
- The summer of code is ending soon, Luca Invernizzi ported his Getting Things Gnome Evolution plugin to be a proper backend, Jamie Nicol added the ability to download free songs from Last.fm in Rhythmbox, etc.
July 25, 2010
This week… 2276 commits, in 205 projects, by 233 happy hackers (and 504 were translation commits).
- Handling of contacts in Empathy has been switched to use libfolks, this will enable future enhanchements, such as support for metacontacts . (GNOME bug 623714)
- Carlos Garcia Campos ported the byzanz applet to use the new D-Bus based panel applet library.
- Gtk-vnc has switched over to use GIO for socket connections and DNS resolution.
- Giovanni Campagna contributed a base API for system status indicators in GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 621705)
- James Liggett implemented a tags pane in the Anjuta git plugin.
- In the ongoing transitions, Nautilus has been ported to GSettings, Eog has been switched to GTK+ 3, and accounts-dialog is being ported to gdbus.
- Preliminary support for adding new annotations (at the moment only Text annotations are supported) has been added to Evince . (GNOME bug 168304)
- Toms Bauģis changed hamster search to use SQLite full text search.
- David Pellicer contributed a few more keyboard layouts to Caribou.
- The function name completion tooltips used in Gnumeric have been improved by Andreas J. Guelzow.
- Evolution-rss default renderer has been switched to be WebKit.
- Nate Stedman merged his branch adding suport for themes in Ease.
- Benjamin Otte continued stripping GTK+ of old GDK drawing functions and classes (GdkPangoRenderer, GdkGC…).
- Richard Hughes split off a new libcolor-glib library out of gnome-color-manager.
- Totem youtube plugin has been updated to work after the latest Youtube page format changes.
- In GSOC land Jamie Nicol has added to Rhythmbox the possibility to scrobble to both Last.fm and Libre.fm, Michal Hruby ported zeitgeist-datahub to Vala, Karlo Jež added a hover menu for quick task manipulation in Getting Things GNOME, and more…
July 18, 2010
This week… 3273 commits, in 181 projects, by 295 happy hackers (and 427 were translation commits).
- Toms Bauģis added to hamster he possibility to click on a time bar in the overview to get to the detailed day view . (GNOME bug 623872)
- The Bastard Mode option of Quadrapassel has been renamed to “choose difficult blocks”, but it’s still a real bastard.
- Fernando Herrera added Mallard documentation to Dots, the interactive braille transcribing application.
- The calendar backend in evolution-mapi has been made fully asynchronous.
- Thomas Wood added region and city comboboxes to the new date and time control center panel.
- Aleksander Morgado contributed a feature to enable or disable selected books in devhelp . (GNOME bug 619202)
- Nate Stedman replaced the system() call by the usage of libarchive when saving documents in Ease.
- GThumb has been updated to preserve the EXIF data after lossless rotations.
- Vinagre has been migrated to GtkApplication . (GNOME bug 596733)
- Arx Cruz added a new password dialog to Zenity.
- The three-point-oh branch of cheese has been merged, rewriting Cheese in Vala and making advantage of Clutter.
- Paolo Bacchilega ported file-roller to use GSettings.
- Seed has been updated to build against the gtk 2 or gtk 3 versions of WebKit, at user choice.
- John Stowers created a gtk-3.0 branch of pygtk, to prepare a pygtk version that, while not based on gobject introspection, would still be a step towards GNOME 3.
- Aaron Bockover changed the Amazon proxy URIs of Banshee to some supporting geo-IP redirection, redirecting users to the Amazon stores appropriate for their countries.
- Benjamin Otte has been working hard on the “rendering-cleanup” branch of GTK+ 3, chopping much of the old drawing system, where cairo usage is more appropriate now.
- In GSOC land, Dragos Dena finished the snippets editor for Anjuta, Jamie Nicol almost finished implementing Last.fm radio playback in Rhythmbox, Luca Invernizzi completed the couchdb backend of Getting Things GNOME, and others also worked, of course…
July 4, 2010
This week… 2192 commits, in 173 projects, by 235 happy hackers (and 293 were translation commits).
- Jim Evins added native support for SVG images to glabels.
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro continued porting gedit plugins to libpeas, and Philip Withnall ported totem plugins.
- The possibility to edit metadata of many images is now possible again in gthumb (GNOME bug 618187)
- Ryan Lortie added a GSettings port of Cheese, in the gsettings branch.
- Vinagre got support for RDP connections, wrapping the rdesktop program . (GNOME bug 503456)
- Matthias Clasen added bash completion support for gsettings.
- Nate Stedman added possiblity for the user to insert images into ease.
- Support for OSSv4 and SunAudio has been added to gstreamer-properties . (GNOME bug 618402)
- Shaun McCance finished the transition to GDBus of yelp.
- In the various Summer of Code Jamie Nicol has been making progress on Last.fm radio playback in rhythmbox, Luca Invernizzi finished the first version of a Launchpad backend for Getting Things GNOME, etc.
June 20, 2010
This week… 2299 commits, in 199 projects, by 257 happy hackers (and 362 were translation commits).
- This week again a few modules were ported to gsettings, this is the case for GNOME Shell, Brasero, Empathy and the GNOME Bluetooth nautilus-sendto plugin.
- girparser, from gobject-introspection, got support for an introspectable=no attribute, to replace the hackish pre-filter for varargs with a much more generic mechanism . (GNOME bug 621570)
- Robert Ancell made dconf-editor understand and display configuration schemas.
- Jonh Wendell added the possibility to specifiy an alternative ssh port when doing tunnels in Vinagre . (GNOME bug 621809)
- Matthias Clasen ported accounts-dialog to be a control-center panel, this is done in the control-center-panel branch.
- Maxim Ermilov added animated display of startup notifications to GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 598349)
- Totem has been ported to the new libpeas for plugin handling . (GNOME bug 604830)
- Garrett Regier added support for gobject introspection to gedit (GNOME bug 621549)
- F-Spot has been switched to use bilinear scaling for thumbnails . (GNOME bug 621881)
- Stef Walter fixed a deadlock on secure memory usage in gnome-keyring.
- Around the Summer of Code projects, Stéphane Maniaci added a basic flickr fetcher to ease, to grab pictures from flickr, Luca Invernizzi added a new two-way synchronization engine to Getting Things GNOME, Alexander Saprykin implemented GIO async read/write support to his totem chapter plugin, and other students also did much work…
August 2, 2009
This week… 2195 commits, in 186 projects, by 288 happy hackers (and 328 were translation commits).
- Now that gnome-doc-utils and yelp both have support for Mallard documents, Milo Casagrande converted gnome-hello documentation to the new format.
- After some discussion on the gnomecc list the default toolbar style has been changed to “Text beside items”.
- Sabayon was changed to use Xephyr instead of Xnest, as Xephyr supports the “new” X extensions.
- gnome-session has been fixed to not exit when the system bus restarts . (GNOME bug 583345)
- A new “ssh” plugin appeared in vinagre, which is becoming a universal tool to access remote systems.
- Robin Stocker added to Totem the functionality to remember the current position of a stream when pausing or closing . (GNOME bug 164918)
- After Hylke Bons posted some thoughts on the font viewer Thomas Wood started implementing the proposed ideas, in the “font-viewer-revamp” branch of the GNOME Control Center.
- Anjuta Git plugin gained an option to initialize new repositories . (GNOME bug 566698)
- Finally, during this 10th week of the summer of code, students were hard at work, some noticeable advancements:
- Paul A. Bellamy successfully implemented syncing and a properties dialog for MTP devices in Rhythmbox;
- Neil Loknath added streaming to Banshee using Telepathy, you can now stream a contact’s music after downloading their library info;
- Paulo Cabido merged the plugin engine with Getting Things Gnome main development branch.