August 29, 2010
This week… 2512 commits, in 181 projects, by 248 happy hackers (and 596 were translation commits).
- The synctex plugin, to synchronize TeX files and PDF output, has been merged into gedit-plugins.
- Both Lapo Calamandrei and Jakub Steiner worked on the metacity/mutter theme for GNOME 3.
- Nate Stedman added alpha support to backgrounds in Ease.
- A “save as PDF” plugin has been added to Gimp, thanks to Barak Itkin . (GNOME bug 382688)
- Andreas J. Guelzow added progress info support to the ODF export feature of Gnumeric.
- Batch operation support for both Calendar and Documents services has been added to libgdata . (GNOME bug 624141, GNOME bug 624142)
- Christopher Roy Bratusek made the applications menu of Sawfish honour NotShowIn and OnlyShowIn.
- Interactive TLS certification verification has been merged into Empathy . (GNOME bug 626848)
- Jonh Wendell split the reverse VNC feature of Vinagre into its own plugin, and ported it to GSocket, making reverse connections work with both IPv4 and IPv6 . (GNOME bug 626981)
- Cosimo Cecchi updated the design of the Nautilus sidebar, categorizing items with headings, a screnshot is available . (GNOME bug 508404)
- f-spot completed its port to GtkBuilder . (GNOME bug 589702)
- Thomas Wood implemented a new UI design for the background preference panel.
- Thomas Hindoe Paaboel Andersen ported both gnotravex and gnotski to cairo . (GNOME bug 625444)
- Gustavo Noronha Silva wrapped the geolocation support provided by WebKitGTK+ in Epiphany, using info bars to present policy requests to the user . (GNOME bug 626687)
- GDateTime, an opaque data type containing a date and time representation, has been added to GLib . (GNOME bug 50076)
- Benjamin Otte completed the second part of his GTK+ 3 rendering cleanup work, and posted a status report to the gtk-devel-list.
August 8, 2010
This week… 2649 commits, in 194 projects, by 282 happy hackers (and 522 were translation commits).
- Ruben Vermeersch updated f-spot to show import failures after the import command is done.
- Nate Stedman made ease use a single instance, using libunique.
- A long list of deprecations (GdkImage, GdkGC…) has landed in the GTK+ 2.21 branch, to match functions and objects that were removed in GTK+ 3.
- Andrea Cimitan added blur capabilities to his Murrine GTK+ engine.
- GEdit got a GSettings migration file (GNOME bug 619898).
- In GNOME Color Manager Richard Hugues added the possibility to flick between different images in the profile viewer.
- Validation of UTF-8 strings when serializing from blob has been added to GDBus.
- GNOME Power Manager EggConsoleKit has been converted to use GDBus.
- Philip Withnall added a key-file backend to folks, to store links made between contacts.
- Epiphany web inspector got new capabilities, including docking in Epiphany’s window, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote about this in WebKitGTK+ and the Web Inspector.
- Aaron Bockover added the Amazon MP3 server proxy code tat is used to redirect the user to the correct Amazon store, set the Amazon Affiliate ID on requests, and generally provide a level of indirection.
- Bastien Nocera added support for Last.fm’s new XSPF extensions to totem-pl-parser.
- Jiří Techet introduced a memory cache, and removed the non-persistent file cache, to store tiles in libchamplain.
- The summer of code is ending soon, Luca Invernizzi ported his Getting Things Gnome Evolution plugin to be a proper backend, Jamie Nicol added the ability to download free songs from Last.fm in Rhythmbox, etc.
June 20, 2010
This week… 2299 commits, in 199 projects, by 257 happy hackers (and 362 were translation commits).
- This week again a few modules were ported to gsettings, this is the case for GNOME Shell, Brasero, Empathy and the GNOME Bluetooth nautilus-sendto plugin.
- girparser, from gobject-introspection, got support for an introspectable=no attribute, to replace the hackish pre-filter for varargs with a much more generic mechanism . (GNOME bug 621570)
- Robert Ancell made dconf-editor understand and display configuration schemas.
- Jonh Wendell added the possibility to specifiy an alternative ssh port when doing tunnels in Vinagre . (GNOME bug 621809)
- Matthias Clasen ported accounts-dialog to be a control-center panel, this is done in the control-center-panel branch.
- Maxim Ermilov added animated display of startup notifications to GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 598349)
- Totem has been ported to the new libpeas for plugin handling . (GNOME bug 604830)
- Garrett Regier added support for gobject introspection to gedit (GNOME bug 621549)
- F-Spot has been switched to use bilinear scaling for thumbnails . (GNOME bug 621881)
- Stef Walter fixed a deadlock on secure memory usage in gnome-keyring.
- Around the Summer of Code projects, Stéphane Maniaci added a basic flickr fetcher to ease, to grab pictures from flickr, Luca Invernizzi added a new two-way synchronization engine to Getting Things GNOME, Alexander Saprykin implemented GIO async read/write support to his totem chapter plugin, and other students also did much work…
June 13, 2010
This week… 2432 commits, in 191 projects, by 260 happy hackers (and 292 were translation commits).
- Many modules started adopting GTK+ 3 (GNOME Desktop, GNOME Settings Daemon, GNOME Color Manager, GNOME Power Manager, GNOME Control Center, Goocanvas, Totem), sometimes keeping compatibility with GTK+ 2.x, (like VTE, gucharmap, GNOME Games, librsvg and GNOME Terminal).
- Shaun McCance added “Copy Code Block” and “Save Code Black As” to code snippets in Yelp, he wrote about the feature in Yelp and the DOM.
- The volume control “applet” has been changed to use symbolic icons (GNOME bug 614212), to complete this Jakub Steiner added such icons for microphone levels . (GNOME bug 621175)
- Johan Dahlin added a “promise” module to gjs, to provide a better API for supporting asynchronous code . (GNOME bug 608450)
- Grilo got a gravatar plugin, it is used to distribute an artist-avatar/author-avater attribute if either “artist” or “author” fields contain a valid email.
- Totem has been updated to use a dark theme and symbolic icons . (GNOME bug 617921)
- Ryan Lortie added dconf-editor to the dconf module.
- Jonathan Matthew implemented the MPRIS D-Bus specification in Rhythmbox (GNOME bug 618520), MPRIS defines a common D-Bus interface for media players.
- Harold Schreckengost contributed a new F-Spot topic based help.
- Felix Kaser added a new “EmpathyLiveSearch” widget in Empathy, used to dynamically filter the main window contact list.
- In GNOME Control Center Thomas Wood converted the display capplet to a settings panel.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added a search function to the function selector of Gnumeric . (GNOME bug 495776)
- In the GNOME Shell Florian Müllner added a fade effect when overing over items of the dash . (GNOME bug 620782)
- Abderrahim Kitouni added a plugin to support Vala to Anjuta . (GNOME bug 620757)
- William Jon McCann improved the performance of the GDM greeter (GNOME bug 621045)
- In Summer of Code land, Alexander Saprykin wrote a tiny parser for CMML files, so libcmml won’t be necessary for chapter support in Totem; Yuvi Panda made photo, video and burst modes of Cheese work in his Vala port; Michal Hruby wrote a Rhythmbox plugin using Zeitgeist; and more.
June 6, 2010
This week… 1883 commits, in 194 projects, by 225 happy hackers (and 372 were translation commits).
- Christian Persch added a backend using GDBus to libunique (GNOME bug 618723).
- In the same vain both libbonobo and nautilus have been ported to use GDBus.
- In another important transition Richard Hughes ported gnome-packagekit and gnome-power-manager to GSettings.
- Maxim Ermilov modified GNOME Shell app view to have sections, based on the categories from desktop files . (GNOME bug 614131)
- John Palmieri added the gtk-demo app, and a couple of demos, to the the pygi repository.
- Per-line staging and unstaging has been made possibile in the gitg git frontend.
- Robert Carr added a theme chooser, and several themes, to his Glide presentation tool.
- In the Ease presentation tool Nate Stedman added transition previews in the inspector.
- Evolution-data-server got the necessary code to connect via a SOCKS4 proxy.
- Yelp got a “Read Later” feature, Shaun McCance wrote about it on his blog: Read It Later With Yelp.
- Ruben Vermeersch worked on the import code of f-spot.
- An initial universal access module and UI has been added to the gnome-control-center by Thomas Wood.
- During his SoC Alex Launi abstracted the context pane logic of Banshee so that the context pane and the now playing area can work independently while sharing the same backend content.
- Yuvi Panga spent his second week replicating most of the UI of Cheese in Vala, making the thumbnail widget work, and implementing a fullscreen mode.
May 16, 2010
This week… 2094 commits, in 204 projects, by 253 happy hackers (and 417 were translation commits).
- Florent Thévenet added support for user preferences to solang, using gsettings.
- libunique and gtkmm have both been ported to GTK+ 3.0.
- Fabio Bonelli removed libbonobo from Galeon, it uses D-Bus now.
- In pygi John Palmieri wrapped the GObject module, making it compatible with both the ancient pygobject attributes and new attributes exposed by introspection.
- Roberto Majadas added initial support for ConsoleKit in nanny.
- The dependency on libgnome-vfs has been removed from f-spot, it now uses GIO.
- The class inheritance graph in anjuta has been switched to use cairo, instead of straight gdk draw.
- Christian Persch ported Evince and GConf to GDBus.
- Fridrich Strba pushed an initial implementation to have evolution as default mail client and mailto handler under Windows.
- Introspection support has been added for the libnautilus-extension library.
- GEdit unique instance mechanism has been switched from bacon to DBus.
- In GNOME Shell Colin Walters implemented the initial application menu.
- Last but not least Matthias Clasen merged GDBus in glib.
September 20, 2009
This week… 2699 commits, in 227 projects, by 271 happy hackers (and 1213 were translation commits).
- This is the week before the 2.28.0 and translators are working like crazy, Maithili support literally jumped from 43% to 55%, Asturian also jumped, progressing of 8 points; Galician, German and Hungarian all reached 100% of UI strings translated.
- Brasero got event sound support, sounds will be played when a CD finished burning . (GNOME bug 594954)
- A new WebSharing extension has been added to F-Spot.
- Ryan Lortie added a D-Bus service for dconf (GNOME bug 595479).
- Epiphany gained back its context menu, thanks to the new WebKitHitTestResult support in WebKit.
- Nemiver gained support for editing breakpoint condition.
- Evolution got rid of its dependency on libgnome and libgnomeui, Matthew Barnes blogged on how Evolution is now 100% Bonobo free . (GNOME bug 567283)
- Screen locking on suspend or hibernate has been fixed in gnome-session (GNOME bug 595154)
- XChat-GNOME got an option to hide its statusbar (GNOME bug 524030).
- GNOME Shell has been updated to make the run dialog and “looking glass” debug console work in the overview . (GNOME bug 595116)
- David Zeuthen added GObject introspection support to PolkitGtk.
June 28, 2009
This week… 1811 commits, in 183 projects, by 217 happy hackers (and 226 were translation commits).
- Evince was changed to output straight PDF for printers supporting PDF natively . (GNOME bug 585442)
- Evolution gained an inline view of application/mbox attachments . (GNOME bug 464131)
- A problem with RSA key size that were not a multiple of 8 has been fixed in gnome-keyring . (GNOME bug 576700)
- A new theme, Moblesse, has been added to the experimental GTK+ CSS theme engine.
- Milan Crha fixed several issues and improved the performance of the evolution-data-server CalDAV backend.
- Philippe Rouquier commited a new layout for the Brasero user interface: the medium selector is still inside the main window and on clicking burn a dialog appears to set the session burning options
- In both libgoffice and gnumeric Andreas J. Guelzow improved Open Document Format support (number style output, scientific number output, time and date styles, import of currency symbols, and much more).
- F-Spot Adjust Time dialog, and gnome-session windows, have been ported from libglade to GtkBuilder.
- A Python binding for libbrasero-burn has been added to gnome-python-desktop.
- As explained in his Data about Data weblog post, Alexander Larsson added metadata support in gvfs, and already made Nautilus use it.
- Empathy has been updated to use gnome-session instead of gnome-screensaver to know when the session is idle.
- Benjamin Otte did some research on the GTK+ file chooser performance
(explained in a tale of waiting message in the
gtk-devel-list, be sure to also read the followup messages), and pushed a new “filesystemmodel” branch to publicize his work.
May 24, 2009
This week… 2349 commits, in 189 projects, by 255 happy hackers (and 298 were translation commits).
- John Carr published his syncml branch of conduit, adding SyncML support for contacts and calendar items.
- Gnumeric got support for more styles in its ODF export (cell, paragraph and text styles).
- Niepce Digital got an initial UI shell and basic gphoto support.
- krb5-auth-dialog added a gconf key to disable its notifications.
- f-spot date range dialog got ported from libglade to gtkbuilder; rhythmbox also replaced libglade by gtkbuilder.
- The graph component in goffice gained support for formatted editing of graph limits that are dates and times . (GNOME bug 574681)
- Evolution search bar got improved, to more closely resemble Firefox . (GNOME bug 580925)
- Rhythmbox status icon has been made into a plugin, with additional capabilities, some aspects of the status icon and the notification popups are now a bit more configurable.
- Willie Walker continued his numerous improvements to the speech generator in Orca, porting Pidgin, Gecko and Thunderbird to the new generator.
- In gnome-utils gsearchtool got rid of its libgnomeui usage . (GNOME bug 573670)
- Brasero gained the possibility to span data across several media . (GNOME bug 438858)
November 23, 2008
This week… 1470 commits, in 149 projects, by 183 happy hackers (and 126 were translation commits).
- Support for file transfer has been merged in Empathy; it is currently only available for Link-Local XMPP, support for Jabber should now be implemented in telepathy-gabble; Guillaume Desmottes posted about this.
- gnome-shell is progressing nicely and Owen Taylor gave a status update.
- f-spot moved from gnome-vfs to gio.
- Behdad Esfahbod continued his work on vte and its pangocairo backend, he also removed obsolete backends.
- Josselin Mouette merged Debian patches into esound, which prompted the release of 0.2.41.
- Rhythmbox can now deal with uninitialized iPods.
- Benjamin Otte improved the gvfs FTP backend to work with more FTP servers.
- evolution-mapi, a connector to Microsoft Exchange 2007, gained its own subversion module and has been proposed for 2.26.
- tracker got its indexer module API GObject oriented, this will allow easier bindings development and more flexible behaviour for modules.
- Glade gained a new editor for cell renderers.