February 19, 2012
This week… 2128 commits, in 175 projects, by 238 happy hackers (and 428 were translation commits).
- Andy Spencer added a Tile Map Service to Grits, a “virtual globe” library, that downloads tiles directly from openstreetmap.org.
- Christian Persch updated vte to use a GResource for its default termcap.
- Shaun McCance merged the new Mallard Conditional code into yelp-xsl.
- Alexander Larsson added a “Add to My Contacts” button to gnome-contacts.
- Lennart Poettering ported the automount support provided by gnome-shell from ConsoleKit to system-logind.
- In gnome-screenshot Cosimo Cecchi added support for the new Shell API that allows including the pointer.
- Sergio Villar Senin fixed several issues in libsoup cache support.
- Giovanni Campagna made use of the new configuration system in the alternate-tab and auto-move-windows gnome-shell extensions.
- Massimo Valentini ported the Gimp gfig plugin to use Cairo for its drawing operations (GNOME bug 642728).
- Richard Hughes added a new CcStrengthBar widget to gnome-control-center, to display a smaller and neater progress bar, to be used in the power and user-accounts panels.
- Johannes Schmid worked on a “Find in files” dialog for Anjuta document manager, giving it quite a lot of features.
- Chandni Verma work on having the Empathy debug window display all sources of message by default has finally been merged . (GNOME bug 592994)
January 9, 2011
This week… 1791 commits, in 173 projects, by 211 happy hackers (and 356 were translation commits).
- Cristian Klein patched vte to prevent useless wakeups when the terminal doesn’t have focus, disabling the cursor blink timer when the cursor is hidden.
- Florian Müllner added two new frame states to mutter to allow theme authors to tread side-by-side windows differently . (GNOME bug 637330)
- Lucas Rocha started adding a “Sound Thing” to the board.
- Shaun McCance modified yelp to automatically install packages for missing documents.
- In Meld Kirill Müller sped up SVN listing for huge working copies . (GNOME bug 638607)
- Vivien Malerba added initial support for rich text rendering in libgda reports.
- Jon McCann changed gsettings-desktop-schema to no longer have icons on the desktop by default.
- Adel Gadllah implemented cross overview drag & drop in GNOME Shell, allowing draging to the activities button or the hotcorner (and thus opening the overview), which then allows the user to activate any window (even on different workspaces as a drop target . (GNOME bug 601731)
- Jose Aliste fixed several security issues in the DVI backend of Evince.
- The eog plugins system has been ported to use libpeas, and plugins were updated accordingly . (GNOME bug 626091)
- gitg has been ported to use gsettings by Ignacio Casal Quinteiro.
- Paolo Bacchilega re-added the semi-transparent properties box in gthumb fullscreen mode.
- Gary Lin scaled down the GTK+ print dialog size, to make it fit on a typical netbook screen . (GNOME bug 637958)
- Jonathan Matthew fixed the podcast status on download completion in Rhythmbox, this should make it possible to complete downloads that fail due to connection errors and the like . (GNOME bug 633469)
- Robert Ancell worked on the glChess vala rewrite, starting work on a chess clock, and adding back 3D board numbering.
June 13, 2010
This week… 2432 commits, in 191 projects, by 260 happy hackers (and 292 were translation commits).
- Many modules started adopting GTK+ 3 (GNOME Desktop, GNOME Settings Daemon, GNOME Color Manager, GNOME Power Manager, GNOME Control Center, Goocanvas, Totem), sometimes keeping compatibility with GTK+ 2.x, (like VTE, gucharmap, GNOME Games, librsvg and GNOME Terminal).
- Shaun McCance added “Copy Code Block” and “Save Code Black As” to code snippets in Yelp, he wrote about the feature in Yelp and the DOM.
- The volume control “applet” has been changed to use symbolic icons (GNOME bug 614212), to complete this Jakub Steiner added such icons for microphone levels . (GNOME bug 621175)
- Johan Dahlin added a “promise” module to gjs, to provide a better API for supporting asynchronous code . (GNOME bug 608450)
- Grilo got a gravatar plugin, it is used to distribute an artist-avatar/author-avater attribute if either “artist” or “author” fields contain a valid email.
- Totem has been updated to use a dark theme and symbolic icons . (GNOME bug 617921)
- Ryan Lortie added dconf-editor to the dconf module.
- Jonathan Matthew implemented the MPRIS D-Bus specification in Rhythmbox (GNOME bug 618520), MPRIS defines a common D-Bus interface for media players.
- Harold Schreckengost contributed a new F-Spot topic based help.
- Felix Kaser added a new “EmpathyLiveSearch” widget in Empathy, used to dynamically filter the main window contact list.
- In GNOME Control Center Thomas Wood converted the display capplet to a settings panel.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added a search function to the function selector of Gnumeric . (GNOME bug 495776)
- In the GNOME Shell Florian Müllner added a fade effect when overing over items of the dash . (GNOME bug 620782)
- Abderrahim Kitouni added a plugin to support Vala to Anjuta . (GNOME bug 620757)
- William Jon McCann improved the performance of the GDM greeter (GNOME bug 621045)
- In Summer of Code land, Alexander Saprykin wrote a tiny parser for CMML files, so libcmml won’t be necessary for chapter support in Totem; Yuvi Panda made photo, video and burst modes of Cheese work in his Vala port; Michal Hruby wrote a Rhythmbox plugin using Zeitgeist; and more.
March 21, 2010
This week… 2398 commits, in 234 projects, by 289 happy hackers (and 834 were translation commits).
- The 2.30 release is approaching fast and translators are hard at work, French and Russian are already totally translated, and 30 teams are over the 90% bar. The most impressive progress this week has been the Lithuanian team, coordinated by Gintautas Miliauskas, that improved from 84 to 89%.
- Banshee lyrics plugin got support for the lyricsplugin.com database . (GNOME bug 612958)
- The GNOME Keyring has been fixed not to store session keyring on disk . (GNOME bug 612977)
- Daniel P. Berrange worked hard on gtk-vnc, substanctally improving and modernising the code.
- GNOME Volume Control got a speaker testing UI, Bastien Nocera blogged about it in Speaker testing . (GNOME bug 519438)
- Yelp 3.0 branch got support for a basic “back” button.
- Thanks to a patch by Marc Deslauriers GNOME Power Manager got support to communicate with GNOME Screensaver running as a D-Bus service . (GNOME bug 609031)
- Andrea Cimitan added a new option to the Murrine theme engine to draw smooth separators.
- The GNOME Shell has been changed to use a single button to toggle between linear and grid view . (GNOME bug 610801)
- The VTE library got introspection support . (GNOME bug 604837)
January 3, 2010
This week… 1259 commits, in 144 projects, by 148 happy hackers (and 191 were translation commits).
- Empathy will now display the protocol icon in a corner of the status icon of the contacts . (GNOME bug 603877)
- Kupfer got support for Triggers, Ulrik Sverdrup explains it in detail in his appropriately named Kupfer gains Triggers post.
- Debarshi Ray (who took over maintenance of gnote) added a “note of the day” addin . (GNOME bug 590589)
- Gian Mario Tagliaretti wrapped many GSocket and GResolver functions for pygobjet.
- Epiphany was fixed so that notifification of completed downloads doesn’t rely anymore on the presence of the status icon . (GNOME bug 604599)
- The mixed state of toggle buttons has been changed to be drawn half in the normal and the other half in the pressed state . (GNOME bug 502165)
- Jesse van den Kieboom improved menu integration of gedit on Mac OS X; this now uses the latest updates done on the ige-mac-integration library, with additional patches.
- Josh Tripplet added support for XTerm bracketed paste mode to VTE, this allows programs to distinguish pasted text from typed text. For example vim could automatically use paste mode for pastes, avoiding unwanted duplicate indentation or formatting . (GNOME bug 605299)
- Sebastien Granjoux added a new project backend to Anjuta, to open a directory as a project.
- Cody Russel added a GtkOffscreenWindow implementation, to make it much easier to take an arbitrary widget and render it to an offscreen buffer without having it displayed anywhere onscreen . (GNOME bug 604901)
November 15, 2009
This week… 1612 commits, in 180 projects, by 213 happy hackers (and 293 were translation commits).
- Banshee was migrated to the Last.fm 2.0 API . (GNOME bug 541227)
- A general search feature has been added to Rygel, including Tracker.
- The GtkNotebook widget got an “action area”, to be used for things like having a single close tab button to the right of all tabs. Johannes Schmid wrote about it in his weblog: GtkNotebook action widgets . (GNOME bug 116650)
- Totem gained an on-screen display when in fullscreen mode, Bastien Nocero announced it in A little OSD . (GNOME bug 600985)
- Simon van der Linden added the possibility to import wrappers from pygi to pygobject.
- The GNOME Shell got presence items added to the status menu . (GNOME bug 601458)
- Behdad Esfahbod reverted a commit to vte, as not clearing the alternate screen caused issues with less.
- Basic Mac OS X integration (menu, dock, bundle) has been pushed to gedit.
- Empathy was fixed to ask for password when joining a protected room (GNOME bug 579341)
- The View Properties dialog of Gnumeric was converted to be instant-apply.
- William Walker added provisional support for GNOME Shell magnifier service to Orca.
December 7, 2008
This week… 1282 commits, in 164 projects, by 171 happy hackers (and 156 were translation commits).
- Totem got a new Jamendo plugin in totem, a patch from David Jean Louis (GNOME bug 561811) (a screenshot is posted below).
- Empathy lost its libgnomeui dependency and evince dropped its libglade one.
- gtk-doc now highlights deprecation warnings, and they are now also supported in signals and properties (GNOME bug 562655).
- glib added functions for shadowed mounts (a mount is said to be shadowed if there exists one or more user visible objects (currently GMount objects) with a root that is inside the root of mount.) and nautilus started using them.
- Behdad Esfahbod continued his vte cleaning.
- Dan Winship moved Luxembourg (city) out of Belgium (GNOME bug #562772).
- anjuta devhelp plugin got updated to devhelp/webkit (GNOME bug #560311) and got a button to access online API help (library.gnome.org)
- Federico Mena Quintero added support to use libnotify for errors displayed by gnome-settings-daemon xrandr module
- GTK+ (trunk) got a method to draw progress in a GtkEntry (GNOME bug 546285), this was prompted by Epiphany developers wondering about a progress-in-location-bar idea.
November 23, 2008
This week… 1470 commits, in 149 projects, by 183 happy hackers (and 126 were translation commits).
- Support for file transfer has been merged in Empathy; it is currently only available for Link-Local XMPP, support for Jabber should now be implemented in telepathy-gabble; Guillaume Desmottes posted about this.
- gnome-shell is progressing nicely and Owen Taylor gave a status update.
- f-spot moved from gnome-vfs to gio.
- Behdad Esfahbod continued his work on vte and its pangocairo backend, he also removed obsolete backends.
- Josselin Mouette merged Debian patches into esound, which prompted the release of 0.2.41.
- Rhythmbox can now deal with uninitialized iPods.
- Benjamin Otte improved the gvfs FTP backend to work with more FTP servers.
- evolution-mapi, a connector to Microsoft Exchange 2007, gained its own subversion module and has been proposed for 2.26.
- tracker got its indexer module API GObject oriented, this will allow easier bindings development and more flexible behaviour for modules.
- Glade gained a new editor for cell renderers.
November 16, 2008
This week… 1363 commits, in 162 projects, by 184 happy hackers (and 164 were translation commits).
- The getting-rid-of-libgnome-and-gnome-vfs quest continues with Ekiga losing its dependency on libgnome and Anjuta removing some gnome-vfs usage
- Matthias Clasen added lockdown support in the gnome-settings-daemon keybinding plugin (GNOME bug 553434)
- In rhythmbox Christophe Fergeau switched several g_timeout_add to g_timeout_add_seconds so it wakes up the CPU less often; and Bastien Nocera added detection of the new PSP-3000
- Bedhad Esfahbod added pangocairo backend to vte, and made it the default; it is as fast as the xft backend.
- NetworkManager got support for PKCS#12 private keys
- Evince got support for PDF layers (but it doesn’t seem like such support has been merged in poppler yet)
- Murray Cumming created projects.gnome.org, to host project pages that were on www.gnome.org/projects/; he posted to devel-announce to explain the motivation and implications
- Finally, in GTK+-land, Michael Natterer added the new orientation API to GtkRange