January 24, 2010
This week… 1900 commits, in 191 projects, by 249 happy hackers (and 339 were translation commits).
- Epiphany now has page cache enabled, as all critical bugs have been fixed and it now needs real world testing.
- Huzaifa S. Sidhpurwala added TLS-Remote support to the NetworkManager OpenVPN plugin . (GNOME bug 455142)
- Cheese has been changed to limit webcam framerate to 30 frames per second, as the developers really do not want webcams that claim to support huge framerates to slow down everything . (GNOME bug 607238)
- Enrico Minack updated the Invest applet to connect to NetworkManager to react on network changes . (GNOME bug 605739)
- GNOME Color Manager gained the ability to find and select ICC profiles on mounted volumes from other operating systems (both Mac OS X and Windows ). (GNOME bug 607390)
- Jesse van den Kieboom fixed bugs in the smart converter encoding guessing of gedit and added test cases.
- The GNOME Disk Utility got drive emblems, used to mark RAID and LVM2 “drives”.
- A new workspaces view, matching latest design has been commited to the GNOME Shell, the default workspace view is now a scrollable horizontal list, with a control to switch between it and the previous grid view . (GNOME bug 593844)
- Toms Baugis added the possibility for Hamster to run as a standalone application, instead of being a panel applet.
- The accounts dialog of Empathy gained an extra column in the treeview displaying the status of each account (GNOME bug 605309).
September 27, 2009
This week… 2610 commits, in 209 projects, by 286 happy hackers (and 539 were translation commits).
- The Perl bindings written by Emmanuel Rodriguez have been merged into libchamplain.
- A branch by Alexander Sack reworking NetworkManager menu has been uploaded (it is named “menu-rework”).
- Mark Kasik added support for the ‘auth-info’ attribute to the CUPS print backend of GTK + (GNOME bug 566522).
- Deprecated GTK+ symbols have been removed from gok (GNOME bug 572686).
- Ryan Lortie published a gsettings branch of Devhelp, demonstrating the conversion from GConf to GSettings.
- GNOME Shell has been updated to not treat 1024×600 as widescreen (GNOME bug 596375).
- The GNOME Volume Control has been changed to allow going up to 150% for output volume (GNOME bug 591285).
- Brasero has been fixed to not leak the CD drive device file descriptor, that kept the drive locked . (GNOME bug 596241)
- Evolution has been changed to use Message-ID instead of Message-Id, for increased compatibility with other applications (GNOME bug 596157).
- Ross Burton switched evolution-data-server calendar to D-Bus instead of Bonobo, in the “dbus-calendar” branch.
June 7, 2009
This week… 1950 commits, in 167 projects, by 242 happy hackers (and 218 were translation commits).
- Banshee gained a “shuffle by album” option (GNOME bug 348582)
- Support for publishing geolocation information has been merged into Empathy (GNOME bug 571666)
- Milan Crha added a folder emblem to show new mail arrivals to Evolution (GNOME bug 323037); also Evolution dropped support for CDE (GNOME bug 582939).
- Support for the JPEG 2000 image format has been added to Gimp (GNOME bug 111409)
- GTK+ gained a new GtkInfoBar widget, similar to GeditMessageArea and similar widgets in Firefox. Its API is inspired by GtkDialog, with a content area and an action area. The message area uses symbolic colors for different background colors for warnings, errors, informational messages, etc . (GNOME bug 555344)
- Rhythmbox track change notification bubbles gained a “Skip” button (GNOME bug 331272)
- Shaun McCance created a new “mallard” branch for Yelp, to add support for the new Mallard document format.
- Christian Persch made a few HIG improvements to the NetworkManager connection editor (GNOME bug 584223)
- JHBuild GUI was rewritten to be totally awesome (and to not require libglade).
- PyBank, the bindings for GIRepository, got handling of structs as return values.
- Most importantly, Anjuta splash screen got rewritten from the obsolete libgnomecanvas to straight cairo (GNOME bug 571740).
December 21, 2008
This week… 1540 commits, in 182 projects, by 162 happy hackers (and 229 were translation commits).
- Most important, ORBit2 stopped calling g_thread_init() to accomodate the sensitiveness of Microsoft Windows and will display a warning if it was not previously called, this will need changes in a lot of places . (GNOME bug 547885)
- Jürg Billeter fixed lots of bugs in vala, applied patches, and generally enhanced things (notably the D-Bus server was rewritten to directly use libdbus, without dbus-glib marshalling) and released 0.5.3.
- Vala-related, Stefan Walter removed last vala traces from seahorse.
- The libgnomeui dependency was removed from the brightness and inhibit applets, NetworkManager OpenVPN and PPTP support, and libgnome usage was removed from the dictionary applet.
- Alexander Larsson merged eel into nautilus and eel usage was consequently removed from nautilus-cd-burner and brasero.
- Empathy got autocompletion of contact names in its “new message” dialog box . (GNOME bug 552296)
- Patrick Welche updated Dasher from gnome-vfs to gvfs.
- g_timeout_add_seconds replaced g_timeout_add in several new places: in nautilus-sendto, gnome-power-manager, gedit, gnome-games, seahorse.
- The AAC profile, as defined in gnome-media, and used by applications such as Sound Juicer and gnome-sound-recoreder, switched to LC-AAC profile . (GNOME bug 498617)
November 16, 2008
This week… 1363 commits, in 162 projects, by 184 happy hackers (and 164 were translation commits).
- The getting-rid-of-libgnome-and-gnome-vfs quest continues with Ekiga losing its dependency on libgnome and Anjuta removing some gnome-vfs usage
- Matthias Clasen added lockdown support in the gnome-settings-daemon keybinding plugin (GNOME bug 553434)
- In rhythmbox Christophe Fergeau switched several g_timeout_add to g_timeout_add_seconds so it wakes up the CPU less often; and Bastien Nocera added detection of the new PSP-3000
- Bedhad Esfahbod added pangocairo backend to vte, and made it the default; it is as fast as the xft backend.
- NetworkManager got support for PKCS#12 private keys
- Evince got support for PDF layers (but it doesn’t seem like such support has been merged in poppler yet)
- Murray Cumming created projects.gnome.org, to host project pages that were on www.gnome.org/projects/; he posted to devel-announce to explain the motivation and implications
- Finally, in GTK+-land, Michael Natterer added the new orientation API to GtkRange
November 2, 2008
This week… 1368 commits, in 151 projects, by 171 happy hackers (and 155 were translation commits).
Gimp merged the Google Summer of Code project of Daniel Eddeland that added on-canvas text-editing. Rhythmbox gaired a new iPod properties dialog (with disk usage and such stuff). NetworkManager code was cleaned up adding and using accessors to various settings. Libgnome/ui got killed this week in libgames-support (and that finally makes gnome-games libgnome free) (by Thomas H.P. Andersen), goffice (by Jean Brefort) and gnome-settings-daemon (by Jens Granseuer). Brasero has been proposed for inclusion in 2.26 and continues to see a steady flow of bug fixes. Owen Taylor commited a little bit of gnome-shell code into Subversion and posted some notes. Zeeshan Ali moved gnome-media-server to Subversion under a new name, Rygel.