July 31, 2011
This week… 1611 commits, in 192 projects, by 234 happy hackers (and 211 were translation commits).
- Hans Breuer added handling for some more transforms to the SVG import support of Dia.
- Alexandre Mazari changed Epiphany to use an external CSS file for widget styling.
- In gthumb Paolo Bacchilega added ability to import photos from a folder . (GNOME bug 452764)
- Pierre-Yves Luyten contributed Mallard documentation to gnote . (GNOME bug 620557)
- Cosimo Cecchi rewrote the PDF loader of GNOME Documents with an async/cancellable API.
- Philip Withnall added better APIs to handle image data in Folks . (GNOME bug 650414)
- The port of gjs to gdbus by Giovanni Campagna was commited.
- Marek Kasik added firewalld support to the printers panel of gnome-control-center, to make it open the firewall for required connections when searching for printers.
- Richard Hughes went to remove a lot of code from gnome-power-manager, as most things are now happening in the gnome-settings-daemon power plugin.
- Cosimo Cecchi made a first iteration of a blue-based dark theme.
- Emilio Pozuelo Monfort made a serie of UI improvements to Empathy call window.
- Thomas Hindoe Paaboel Andersen ported the iagno game to gsettings.
- Rhythmbox got a new clutter-based visualizer plugin, by Jonathan Matthew.
November 21, 2010
This week… 1927 commits, in 202 projects, by 209 happy hackers (and 400 were translation commits).
- Christian Persch moved back the typing-break code from gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-control-center to its own drwright module.
- Owen Taylor added a new frame type to mutter for modal dialogs . (GNOME bug 592382)
- Much work happened around the gtk-style-context branch of GTK+, with many modules tentatively ported, including a transformation of the ClearLooks into a GtkThemingEngine.
- Vinagre was adapted to the new G[tk]Application API by Jonh Wendell.
- Colin Walters added support for gunichar as a new fundamental type tag to gjs . (GNOME bug 633199)
- GNOME Power Manager has been cleaned of all its UPS specific UI, to just use the battery critical action for the UPS critical state.
- Andoni Morales Alastruey updated Longomatch to only show players that are actually plaging, and to sort them on their numbers, not names.
- A new Battery & Power indicator has been added to GNOME Shell by Giovanni Campagna . (GNOME bug 622451)
- The GNOME Control Center got a new ‘Power’ panel, with appropriate power management settings.
- Libsoup has been changed to make URI username/password override cached info; this allows a page to, eg, force a logout by sending an XMLHttpRequest using a bad password . (GNOME bug 631679)
- Peter Hutterer added a wacom gnome-settings-daemon plugin.
- Also Tomas Bzatek started porting Nautilus aurorun code as a new automount gnome-settings-daemon plugin.
- Cosimo Cecchi started implementing a “open with” dialog right in GTK+, it is currently in the open-with-dialog branch.
- Last but not least Arx Cruz added a new quite featured –form option to Zenity, making it possible to build more complex dialogs from a simple command line . (GNOME bug 412493)
August 8, 2010
This week… 2649 commits, in 194 projects, by 282 happy hackers (and 522 were translation commits).
- Ruben Vermeersch updated f-spot to show import failures after the import command is done.
- Nate Stedman made ease use a single instance, using libunique.
- A long list of deprecations (GdkImage, GdkGC…) has landed in the GTK+ 2.21 branch, to match functions and objects that were removed in GTK+ 3.
- Andrea Cimitan added blur capabilities to his Murrine GTK+ engine.
- GEdit got a GSettings migration file (GNOME bug 619898).
- In GNOME Color Manager Richard Hugues added the possibility to flick between different images in the profile viewer.
- Validation of UTF-8 strings when serializing from blob has been added to GDBus.
- GNOME Power Manager EggConsoleKit has been converted to use GDBus.
- Philip Withnall added a key-file backend to folks, to store links made between contacts.
- Epiphany web inspector got new capabilities, including docking in Epiphany’s window, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote about this in WebKitGTK+ and the Web Inspector.
- Aaron Bockover added the Amazon MP3 server proxy code tat is used to redirect the user to the correct Amazon store, set the Amazon Affiliate ID on requests, and generally provide a level of indirection.
- Bastien Nocera added support for Last.fm’s new XSPF extensions to totem-pl-parser.
- Jiří Techet introduced a memory cache, and removed the non-persistent file cache, to store tiles in libchamplain.
- The summer of code is ending soon, Luca Invernizzi ported his Getting Things Gnome Evolution plugin to be a proper backend, Jamie Nicol added the ability to download free songs from Last.fm in Rhythmbox, etc.
June 13, 2010
This week… 2432 commits, in 191 projects, by 260 happy hackers (and 292 were translation commits).
- Many modules started adopting GTK+ 3 (GNOME Desktop, GNOME Settings Daemon, GNOME Color Manager, GNOME Power Manager, GNOME Control Center, Goocanvas, Totem), sometimes keeping compatibility with GTK+ 2.x, (like VTE, gucharmap, GNOME Games, librsvg and GNOME Terminal).
- Shaun McCance added “Copy Code Block” and “Save Code Black As” to code snippets in Yelp, he wrote about the feature in Yelp and the DOM.
- The volume control “applet” has been changed to use symbolic icons (GNOME bug 614212), to complete this Jakub Steiner added such icons for microphone levels . (GNOME bug 621175)
- Johan Dahlin added a “promise” module to gjs, to provide a better API for supporting asynchronous code . (GNOME bug 608450)
- Grilo got a gravatar plugin, it is used to distribute an artist-avatar/author-avater attribute if either “artist” or “author” fields contain a valid email.
- Totem has been updated to use a dark theme and symbolic icons . (GNOME bug 617921)
- Ryan Lortie added dconf-editor to the dconf module.
- Jonathan Matthew implemented the MPRIS D-Bus specification in Rhythmbox (GNOME bug 618520), MPRIS defines a common D-Bus interface for media players.
- Harold Schreckengost contributed a new F-Spot topic based help.
- Felix Kaser added a new “EmpathyLiveSearch” widget in Empathy, used to dynamically filter the main window contact list.
- In GNOME Control Center Thomas Wood converted the display capplet to a settings panel.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added a search function to the function selector of Gnumeric . (GNOME bug 495776)
- In the GNOME Shell Florian Müllner added a fade effect when overing over items of the dash . (GNOME bug 620782)
- Abderrahim Kitouni added a plugin to support Vala to Anjuta . (GNOME bug 620757)
- William Jon McCann improved the performance of the GDM greeter (GNOME bug 621045)
- In Summer of Code land, Alexander Saprykin wrote a tiny parser for CMML files, so libcmml won’t be necessary for chapter support in Totem; Yuvi Panda made photo, video and burst modes of Cheese work in his Vala port; Michal Hruby wrote a Rhythmbox plugin using Zeitgeist; and more.
June 6, 2010
This week… 1883 commits, in 194 projects, by 225 happy hackers (and 372 were translation commits).
- Christian Persch added a backend using GDBus to libunique (GNOME bug 618723).
- In the same vain both libbonobo and nautilus have been ported to use GDBus.
- In another important transition Richard Hughes ported gnome-packagekit and gnome-power-manager to GSettings.
- Maxim Ermilov modified GNOME Shell app view to have sections, based on the categories from desktop files . (GNOME bug 614131)
- John Palmieri added the gtk-demo app, and a couple of demos, to the the pygi repository.
- Per-line staging and unstaging has been made possibile in the gitg git frontend.
- Robert Carr added a theme chooser, and several themes, to his Glide presentation tool.
- In the Ease presentation tool Nate Stedman added transition previews in the inspector.
- Evolution-data-server got the necessary code to connect via a SOCKS4 proxy.
- Yelp got a “Read Later” feature, Shaun McCance wrote about it on his blog: Read It Later With Yelp.
- Ruben Vermeersch worked on the import code of f-spot.
- An initial universal access module and UI has been added to the gnome-control-center by Thomas Wood.
- During his SoC Alex Launi abstracted the context pane logic of Banshee so that the context pane and the now playing area can work independently while sharing the same backend content.
- Yuvi Panga spent his second week replicating most of the UI of Cheese in Vala, making the thumbnail widget work, and implementing a fullscreen mode.
April 4, 2010
This week… 2655 commits, in 255 projects, by 325 happy hackers (and 661 were translation commits).
- Empathy gained the possibility to undo the closing of a chat window or tab (GNOME bug 609832)
- Robert Ancell added colours to gcalctool buttons (GNOME bug 157962).
- Sergey V. Udaltsov added a gconf key to disable the display of the keyboard indicator status icon . (GNOME bug 612240)
- Evince removed its internal copy of the infobar widget to use GtkInfoBar directly; also Carlos Garcia Campos fixed Evince so that compressed password-protected documents could be opened . (GNOME bug 613959)
- Michael C. Urbanski created a new “podcast-ng” branch in Banshee, to hold much work being done on podcast support.
- Matthew Barnes got rid of the ancient code (almost 6000 lines) in Evolution to support migrating from pre-2.0 versions.
- GNOME Power Manager has been ported from DeviceKit-power to UPower.
- Caribou has been changed to warn the user when accessibility is not enabled . (GNOME bug 608727)
- Paolo Bacchilega added a flickr photoset imported to gthumb.
- A “gnome3” branch has been created in gtk-engines, to hold the GNOME 3 theme work.
March 21, 2010
This week… 2398 commits, in 234 projects, by 289 happy hackers (and 834 were translation commits).
- The 2.30 release is approaching fast and translators are hard at work, French and Russian are already totally translated, and 30 teams are over the 90% bar. The most impressive progress this week has been the Lithuanian team, coordinated by Gintautas Miliauskas, that improved from 84 to 89%.
- Banshee lyrics plugin got support for the lyricsplugin.com database . (GNOME bug 612958)
- The GNOME Keyring has been fixed not to store session keyring on disk . (GNOME bug 612977)
- Daniel P. Berrange worked hard on gtk-vnc, substanctally improving and modernising the code.
- GNOME Volume Control got a speaker testing UI, Bastien Nocera blogged about it in Speaker testing . (GNOME bug 519438)
- Yelp 3.0 branch got support for a basic “back” button.
- Thanks to a patch by Marc Deslauriers GNOME Power Manager got support to communicate with GNOME Screensaver running as a D-Bus service . (GNOME bug 609031)
- Andrea Cimitan added a new option to the Murrine theme engine to draw smooth separators.
- The GNOME Shell has been changed to use a single button to toggle between linear and grid view . (GNOME bug 610801)
- The VTE library got introspection support . (GNOME bug 604837)
March 7, 2010
This week… 2390 commits, in 220 projects, by 281 happy hackers (and 708 were translation commits).
- Empathy made URL some people put in their contact status clickable right from the contact list (GNOME bug 525576)
- Hiroyuki Ikezoe updated gpointing-device-settings to support a speed property.
- The cairo branch has been merged into gjs.
- Snowy (the webservice companion of Tomboy) has been updated to use UTC as internal time representation, to avoid dealing with different timezones.
- Jean Bréfort implemented round rectangles, arrow heads for arcs and spline support for polyline and polygons in goffice canvas.
- Jürg Billeter updated tracker to refuse updates when low on disk scape.
- The libgnomekbd layout indicator has been changed to use the default font family and size, instead of hardcoding Helvetica . (GNOME bug 610544)
- Richard Hugues pushed a color-management branch to GTK+, implemening an optional LCMS GIO module, and GtkColorEngine, GtkColorTransform and GtkColorProfile.
- gcalctool has been changed to show bit editor for numbers not in base 10.
- Jesse van den Kieboom implemented a new words completion word finder method in gtksourceview, as the previous version was buggy and a lot of bookkeeping.
- GNOME Power Manager has been changed to play a sound loop if the charge of a laptop battery or UPS reaches a critical level.
July 26, 2009
This week… 1598 commits, in 174 projects, by 230 happy hackers (and 302 were translation commits).
- An example displaying geotagged photos from Flickr has been added to libchamplain.
- A “Share My Desktop” feature has been added to Empathy, it allows a contact to share his desktop over an IM stream . (GNOME bug 589091)
- The mousewheel action on Rhythmbox status icon has been made configurable, it can be made to switch to next/previous tracks, and to modify the audio volume . (GNOME bug 376863)
- Orca has been extended to prepend “mispelled” to the words marked as such in Mozilla text areas . (GNOME bug 588910)
- Anjuta Git support has been modified to show the active branch in the status bar, and to provide “git stash” features in the UI.
- gnome-power-manager removed the CanSuspend and CanHibernate D-Bus methods as there is now a patch available for gnome-session, to make it so it handles them directly via DeviceKit-power.
- Bastien Nocera added profile switching support to the volume control, and blogged about it.
- Zhang Sen, who is working on Telepathy Tubes support for the Sudoku game in his GSOC, added saving and undo/redo support.
- In another GSOC, to create a D-Bus mail service, Ian Marcinkowski commited his IMAP parser.
- GNote added a D-Bus interface mimicking the Tomboy one . (GNOME bug 581030)
- Eye of GNOME gained an option to have the detailed metadata list widget shown on its own notebook page in the properties dialog, so the dialog is smaller and fit on smaller displays . (GNOME bug 566810)
- Finally Matthew Barnes ported gnome-video-arcade from libglade to GtkBuilder, and Felix Riemann converted zenity . (GNOME bug 578393)
July 12, 2009
This week… 1769 commits, in 177 projects, by 216 happy hackers (and 351 were translation commits).
- Seahorse, and many preferences windows from the control center migrated from libglade to GtkBuilder.
- gtk-doc has been updated to also look for dblatex for PDF generation, as it seems to work much better than using fop.
- Cody Russel published a new “client-side-decorations” branch for GTK+.
- Jorge Pereira added a system of plugins to vinagre, based on the gedit one.
- Brasero saw the last bits and pieces of HAL support removed, it will only rely on gio from now . (GNOME bug 581742)
- Gnome Power Manager was updated to port all the code to using PolicyKit1 rather than PolicyKit.