July 5, 2009
This week… 1811 commits, in 184 projects, by 224 happy hackers (and 268 were translation commits).
- The Client Side Windows branch has been merged into GTK+, Alexander Larsson posted a status update on gtk-devel-list . (GNOME bug 318807)
- Cheese dropped its copy of GEditMessageArea in favour of the new GtkInfoBar that was introduced in 2.17.2 . (GNOME bug 586545)
- When there’s a DVD menu showing in Totem, it’s now possible to use the arrow keys to navigate around, and the Enter key to select (GNOME bug 580351).
- Snowy (the Tomboy companion web service) added OAuth endpoints, and the requirement for OAuth for accessing api/* URLs.
- Richard Hughes removed the HAL dependency of gnome-power-manager, making everything going through DeviceKit; he blogged it as HALectomy of gnome-power-manager complete.
- Gustavo Noronha Silva merged his content sniffing work in libsoup, the implementation is based on the draft spec on Content-Type Processing Model. Soup now provides a SoupContentSniffer session feature, which hooks into the message I/O, and delays emissions of the got-chunk signal to be able to figure out the Content-Type of messages from the actual content received, in some cases. GIO is also used to sniff content, whenever the spec allows further sniffing .(GNOME bug 572589)
May 31, 2009
This week… 1881 commits, in 190 projects, by 250 happy hackers (and 279 were translation commits).
- DBus support has been added to gjs . (GNOME bug 580948).
- gnome-power-manager went back to use the original idletime code to fix backlight bugs, Richard Hughes explained in his commit that “The new IDLETIME code from gnome-session is very buggy, and the old code was much easier to understand. This should fix random DPMS off blanking and the fade-up-down-up on session resume.”
- In Empathy Pierre-Luc Beaudouin added support to display the locations of contacts on a map widget (provided by libchamplain ). (GNOME bug 571667)
- Vinagre gained a new “read-only” toggle button in its toolbar . (GNOME bug 583230)
- Johannes Schmid removed the remaining libglade bits from anjuta, that is now using GtkBuilder . (GNOME bug 530740)
- gdl, the GNOME Docking Library, removed its dependency on libgnome (GNOME bug 580860) and dropped libglade in favour of GtkBuilder (GNOME bug 582511).
- xchat-gnome got rid of the deprecated GTK+ symbols it was using (GNOME bug 572239).
- More than five years after it was first reported, thanks to the migration to WebKit, Epiphany will now set the Referer header when opening links in new tabs . (GNOME bug 120341)
May 17, 2009
This week… 1925 commits, in 174 projects, by 218 happy hackers (and 183 were translation commits).
- libgnomekbd and gnome-power-manager have been converted from libglade to GTKBuilder.
- Vino got ported from libdbus to dbus-glib, as a first step towards integration with the Telepathy framework . (GNOME bug 580464)
- In GTK+ the GtkLabel gained the possibility to show hyperlinks, that feature was previously provided SexyUrlLabel . (GNOME bug 508810)
- Also in GTK+ a printing backend using PAPI, as found on OpenSolaris, has been added (to both master and 2.16 ) (GNOME bug 382676)
- Support for annotations landed in Evince, it requires libpoppler 0.11 (GNOME bug 315002)
- Empathy added a fullscreen mode for video playback . (GNOME bug 580771)
- Behdad Esfahbod merged his harfbuzz-ng branch into Pango.
- The Volume Control has been updated to show high-level channel mapping string for each devices, this gives pretty names such as “Surround 7.1” or “Stereo” ; (GNOME bug 581921).
- After a discussion on desktop-devel-list Robert Carr created a new gnome-js-common module, to share code and tests between Seed and GJS.
- In Seed a new module to bind Cairo has been developed.
- Alexander Larsson imported gnio (socket and networking support) into glib.
- Much work happened (and is still ongoing) in Orca to refactor the speech and braille generators . (GNOME bug 570658)
December 21, 2008
This week… 1540 commits, in 182 projects, by 162 happy hackers (and 229 were translation commits).
- Most important, ORBit2 stopped calling g_thread_init() to accomodate the sensitiveness of Microsoft Windows and will display a warning if it was not previously called, this will need changes in a lot of places . (GNOME bug 547885)
- Jürg Billeter fixed lots of bugs in vala, applied patches, and generally enhanced things (notably the D-Bus server was rewritten to directly use libdbus, without dbus-glib marshalling) and released 0.5.3.
- Vala-related, Stefan Walter removed last vala traces from seahorse.
- The libgnomeui dependency was removed from the brightness and inhibit applets, NetworkManager OpenVPN and PPTP support, and libgnome usage was removed from the dictionary applet.
- Alexander Larsson merged eel into nautilus and eel usage was consequently removed from nautilus-cd-burner and brasero.
- Empathy got autocompletion of contact names in its “new message” dialog box . (GNOME bug 552296)
- Patrick Welche updated Dasher from gnome-vfs to gvfs.
- g_timeout_add_seconds replaced g_timeout_add in several new places: in nautilus-sendto, gnome-power-manager, gedit, gnome-games, seahorse.
- The AAC profile, as defined in gnome-media, and used by applications such as Sound Juicer and gnome-sound-recoreder, switched to LC-AAC profile . (GNOME bug 498617)
November 9, 2008
This week… 1590 commits, in 166 projects, by 183 happy hackers (and 153 were translation commits).
- Many modules saw development releases for 2.25.1.
- The libgnome dependency got removed from gnome-power-manager, and gnome-utils (dictionary, screenshot, logview) removed it as well as the dependency on libgnomeui.
- In the same vain, seahorse-plugins removed its gnome-vfs dependency.
- William Jon McCann commited a new volume control using PulseAudio, deprecating the old gst-mixer one.
- Behdad Esfahbod worked quite a bit on gnome-settings-daemon and blogged about the improved login time he achieved.
- Benjamin Berg added a Clearlookstest theme, as he proposed on desktop-devel-list several weeks ago, it is not enabled by default though.
- brasero got a nautilus extension, based on current nautilus-cd-burner.
- John Carr commited support for git mirrors to jhbuild (support for bzr mirrors coming soon).
October 26, 2008
This week… 1938 commits, in 197 projects, by 203 happy hackers (and 378 were translation commits).
The libgnome-removal quest continues this week with Thomas H.P. Andersen nailing it down in several games (gnometris, gnotravex, gnotski and iagno) and Cosima Cecchi killing it off baobab. While at it Thomas also updated gnometris from gnome-vfs to gio; and speaking of games Jason Clinton and Christian Persh hacked on the new Clutter-based aisleriot. GDM gained back real automatic and timed login. Gnome Power Manager switched to use libcanberra and the sound theme rather than shipping its own sounds and directly using GStreamer. On the translators front, Djihed Afifi commited lots of updates from the Arabic team and Stéphane Raimbault and Claude Paroz started hacking on a Django-based port of Damned Lies, the site that offers l10n.gnome.org.