August 29, 2010
This week… 2512 commits, in 181 projects, by 248 happy hackers (and 596 were translation commits).
- The synctex plugin, to synchronize TeX files and PDF output, has been merged into gedit-plugins.
- Both Lapo Calamandrei and Jakub Steiner worked on the metacity/mutter theme for GNOME 3.
- Nate Stedman added alpha support to backgrounds in Ease.
- A “save as PDF” plugin has been added to Gimp, thanks to Barak Itkin . (GNOME bug 382688)
- Andreas J. Guelzow added progress info support to the ODF export feature of Gnumeric.
- Batch operation support for both Calendar and Documents services has been added to libgdata . (GNOME bug 624141, GNOME bug 624142)
- Christopher Roy Bratusek made the applications menu of Sawfish honour NotShowIn and OnlyShowIn.
- Interactive TLS certification verification has been merged into Empathy . (GNOME bug 626848)
- Jonh Wendell split the reverse VNC feature of Vinagre into its own plugin, and ported it to GSocket, making reverse connections work with both IPv4 and IPv6 . (GNOME bug 626981)
- Cosimo Cecchi updated the design of the Nautilus sidebar, categorizing items with headings, a screnshot is available . (GNOME bug 508404)
- f-spot completed its port to GtkBuilder . (GNOME bug 589702)
- Thomas Wood implemented a new UI design for the background preference panel.
- Thomas Hindoe Paaboel Andersen ported both gnotravex and gnotski to cairo . (GNOME bug 625444)
- Gustavo Noronha Silva wrapped the geolocation support provided by WebKitGTK+ in Epiphany, using info bars to present policy requests to the user . (GNOME bug 626687)
- GDateTime, an opaque data type containing a date and time representation, has been added to GLib . (GNOME bug 50076)
- Benjamin Otte completed the second part of his GTK+ 3 rendering cleanup work, and posted a status report to the gtk-devel-list.
August 22, 2010
This week… 2759 commits, in 181 projects, by 258 happy hackers (and 486 were translation commits).
- Peter Tyser added to Meld the ability to check if version control repository are valid.
- Christian Persch ported libgconf-2 to GDbus, this makes libgconf-2 not link to libdbus anymore, which means libgconf-2 is LGPL2+ again . (GNOME bug 618039)
- Tor-björn Claesson made it possible to register new search providers for the GNOME Shell dash.
- Paul Cutler added Mallard snippets to the gedit snippets plugin.
- Also in the Mallard vicinity Claude Paroz updated Damned Lies to display a special icon next to documentation in the Mallard format.
- Håkon Enger added support for Mac OS VNC authentifcation to gtk-vnc.
- The Murrine engine got support for theming new widgets: GtkIconView and GtkInfoBar.
- Jiří Techet changed the double click behaviour of libchamplain, it will now zoom and center to the clicked area . (GNOME bug 605784)
- Support for importing ODF graphs into Gnumeric continues to improve thanks to Andreas J. Guelzow . (GNOME bug 626961 for example)
- Carlos Garcia Campos merged his port of gnome-applets to the new libpanel-applet API.
- Nicolas Dufresne work on proxy support in GLib has been merged.
- Empathy new “linking contacts” dialog continues to be improved; also it is now possible to disable logging . (GNOME bug 567858)
- Nate Stedman added support for embedding PDF documents in Ease.
- Summer of Code has ended, there is a summary of all projects, the snippets manager plugin written by Dragos Dena has been merged in Anjuta, and a few last updates were posted, Salomon Sicket on TaskView, Pēteris Krišjānis on recording VoIP in Jokosher, and Matt Novenstern who worked on the Message Tray.
August 15, 2010
This week… 2933 commits, in 162 projects, by 257 happy hackers (and 368 were translation commits).
- Emmanuele Bassi added JsonReader, a simple, cursor-based API for parsing a JSON DOM, to json-glib.
- Christian Persch created a gdbus branch of gconf, porting it to gdbus; in the same vein David Zeuthen ported PolicyKit-gnome from dbus-glib to gdbus.
- As for GDK changes, Thomas Hindoe Paaboel Andersen started porting gnome-games, Benjamin Otte pushed a cairo-port branch onto gnome-mag, and ported parts of Nautilus, and The Gimp continued being ported to Cairo by Michael Natterer.
- Empathy has been changed by Bilal Akhtar to use GimpNet as default IRC network . (GNOME bug 625675)
- Martin Pitt ported gdm to UPower . (GNOME bug 626176)
- An initial implementation of the “background” panel has been pushed to gnome-control-center.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added exporting of images to ODF in Gnumeric.
- Preview comments have been added to most of the effects provided by gnome-video-effects (now used by Cheese).
- A new “Shuffle” action has been added on the Banshee play queue.
- Ryan Lortie added signals to GApplication, they are: startup, activate, open, action, and command-line.
- Support for common licenses has been added to GTK+, this introduces a :license-type property . (GNOME bug 336225)
- Also in GTK+ Matthias Clasen beefed up the GTK 2 -> 3 migration guide, including a first cut at documenting the rendering cleanup changes and the region removal.
- For their last week of Summer of Code, Dena Dragos added a basic import/export feature to Anjuta snippets, Adrien Bustany added a function to load resources filtering on their attributes to his tracker ORM, Alexander Saprykin got his chapters plugin merged in Totem (GNOME bug 622779), and more.
August 8, 2010
This week… 2649 commits, in 194 projects, by 282 happy hackers (and 522 were translation commits).
- Ruben Vermeersch updated f-spot to show import failures after the import command is done.
- Nate Stedman made ease use a single instance, using libunique.
- A long list of deprecations (GdkImage, GdkGC…) has landed in the GTK+ 2.21 branch, to match functions and objects that were removed in GTK+ 3.
- Andrea Cimitan added blur capabilities to his Murrine GTK+ engine.
- GEdit got a GSettings migration file (GNOME bug 619898).
- In GNOME Color Manager Richard Hugues added the possibility to flick between different images in the profile viewer.
- Validation of UTF-8 strings when serializing from blob has been added to GDBus.
- GNOME Power Manager EggConsoleKit has been converted to use GDBus.
- Philip Withnall added a key-file backend to folks, to store links made between contacts.
- Epiphany web inspector got new capabilities, including docking in Epiphany’s window, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote about this in WebKitGTK+ and the Web Inspector.
- Aaron Bockover added the Amazon MP3 server proxy code tat is used to redirect the user to the correct Amazon store, set the Amazon Affiliate ID on requests, and generally provide a level of indirection.
- Bastien Nocera added support for Last.fm’s new XSPF extensions to totem-pl-parser.
- Jiří Techet introduced a memory cache, and removed the non-persistent file cache, to store tiles in libchamplain.
- The summer of code is ending soon, Luca Invernizzi ported his Getting Things Gnome Evolution plugin to be a proper backend, Jamie Nicol added the ability to download free songs from Last.fm in Rhythmbox, etc.
August 1, 2010
This week… 1817 commits, in 202 projects, by 221 happy hackers (and 396 were translation commits).
- In the ongoing transitions emerillon has been ported to GSettings, while evolution, evolution-data-server, and brasero have been ported to GDBus (GNOME bug 622884 and others).
- Also glibmm gained a wrapper for GApplication, and gtkmm another one for GtkApplication.
- Mike Gorse added thread safety around main loop invocations in PyGTK.
- Eye of GNOME got a settings conversion file, to migrate configuration from GConf to GSettings.
- Jonh Wendell ported Vinagre to use libpeas for its plugins.
- And a basic support for plugin dependencies has been added to libpeas.
- Cheese effect preview elements have been changed to be constructed on-demand, rather than at startup, which has a great effect on startup performance.
- Matthias Clasen improved a lot the coverage of unit tests in GLib.
- Michael Natterer started porting various bits of Gimp from drawing with GDK to drawing with Cairo.
- Paolo Borelli made a first cut at a fonts panel for gnome control center 3.0, at the moment a straight port of the fonts tab of the current appearance preferences dialog.
- In Gnumeric Jean Brefort added support for importing old Guppi graphs from gnumeric 1.0 files.
- Nate Stedman added support for shapes and backgrounds to Ease.
- In Vala Michael Terry added support for the new bytestring GVariant (GNOME bug 624986)
- Last but not least Cosimo Cecchi removed the backgrounds/emblems feature in Nautilus.
- As for GSoC students, many were at GUADEC and you should really watch the recorded GSoC lightning talks session once it’s made available…