June 10, 2012
This week… 1757 commits, in 162 projects, by 200 happy hackers (and 252 were translation commits).
- Daniel Drake added a disable-mouse-button-modifiers message to metacity, to be used in Sugar to disable mouse button modifiers . (GNOME bug 677115)
- Christophe Fergeau fixed librest to avoid an infinite loop when passing wrong HTTP credentials . (GNOME bug 658937)
- In gnome-media Sebastien Bacher fixed the gnome sound recorder to properly open the control center sound panel . (GNOME bug 667402)
- In Evince Christian Persch added new APIs to load from streams and GFile . (GNOME bug 654832)
- Paolo Bacchilega added the possibility for goobox to use libcoverart to fetch CD covers.
- Milan Crha fixed the “mark as junk” functionality in evolution-ews . (GNOME bug 654543)
- Bastian Winkler ported GtkGrid into Clutter, as a new ClutterGridLayout layout manager . (GNOME bug 677372)
- Matthew Barnes landed the account-mgmt branches of evolution and evolution-data-server, a migration guide is available.
- Richard Hughes changed gnome-settings-daemon updates plugin to automatically download updates rather than installing them.
- Adel Gadllah updated gnome-shell to not display non urgent notifications while in fullscreen . (GNOME bug 677590)
- Debarshi Ray merged SkyDrive support into gnome-documents . (GNOME bug 666535)
November 1, 2009
This week… 1906 commits, in 181 projects, by 237 happy hackers (and 363 were translation commits).
- A full screen mode has been added to emerillon (GNOME bug 599764).
- John Wendell fixed several memory leaks in Vinagre and gtk-vnc.
- A new “Document License” tab has been added to Evince, it can display license information embedded in PDF files (GNOME bug 349173)
- In GNOME Games, gnometris got renamed to quadrapassel (due to trademark concerns), and same-gnome to swell-foop (due to “GNOME” in the old name).
- Support for group profiles has been added to Sabayon, thanks to Scott Balneaves.
- GTK+ was updated to use standard Mac shortcuts on Mac OS X (Cmd-X, Cmd-C, etc .). (GNOME bug 530351)
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro ported gedit to GSettings, in the appropriately named gsettings branch of gedit; this is still a work in progress.
- Thomas Thurman added a first theme using CSS to the cowbell branch of metacity, the theme is named Sunshine.
- Peter Bloomfield marked important items in the balsa toolbars, so they work better with the new “text besides icons” default.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added ODF compability function “SHEETS” to Gnumeric.
- Matthew Barnes started porting Evolution from libglade to GtkBuilder.
- Finally usage of libgnomevfs has been removed from gnome-pilot.
October 25, 2009
This week… 1781 commits, in 178 projects, by 250 happy hackers (and 298 were translation commits).
- A fullscreen mode has been added to xchat-gnome (GNOME bug 445638).
- Jonh Wendell added the ability to use JPEG compression (thus lossy encoding) to vinagre . (GNOME bug 573272)
- Evince has been changed to always use a different process for every document.
- Eog got support for animated images, it plays animated images as supported by GdkPixbufAnimation (GNOME bug 335093).
- gnome-pilot was ported to GtkBuilder, and removed most of its usage of libgnomeui.
- Empathy removed its applets (megaphone, nothere) and Python bindings of libempathy and libempathy-gtk, on the premise they were unused and applications should use telepathy-glib, and a future telepathy-gtk, via gobject-introspection.
- Colin Walters updated the GNOME Shell to use a stable ordering for well-known icons in the notification area (volume, battery, network… ;). (GNOME bug 598313)
- Brasero got changed to no longer store some settings with GConf anymore (like window size or position of widgets) but to save and load them using GKeyFile instead.
- Thomas Thurman worked quite a lot on the “cowbell” metacity branch, to allow styling of window borders using CSS, he also posted a status update.
- Ray Strode made DeviceKit-power optional in gdm.
- GNOME Disk Utility got handling of LUKS volumes.
- Martyn Rucell updated the Totem tracker plugin to the new (0.7) tracker API.
- Paolo Bacchilega added PackageKit support to File Roller, so it will now prompt for new packages when opening archives that require an uninstalled tool.
March 8, 2009
This week… 2186 commits, in 244 projects, by 204 happy hackers (and 804 were translation commits).
- Translators are again working hard; Brazilian Portuguese reached 100%, and there are four languages already at 99.9%. Italian jumped from 95.2% to 99.2% thanks in part to Milo Casagrande getting granted a subversion account (welcome!). Estonian and Tamil both reached the 80% mark, there is now 41 languages over it. Noteworthy is also the Oriya team, that increased its score by six points (that’s more than 2500 strings translated in a single week), now at 59.9%.
- Metacity title bars will now include “(as username)” for windows running as another user; this was discussed in a squib of the day (GNOME bug 549389).
- Alexander Larsson fixed many issues in gvfs and gio.
- Empathy logging support got more robust with the merge of Jonny Lamb log-manager branch . (GNOME bug 538293, GNOME bug 549284)
- A new card set, created by Frederik Elwert and using the Tango style, has been added (in gnome-games-extra-data).
- Epiphany and WebKit/GTK+ are again very active, with for example the addition of basic download support . (GNOME bug 570735)
- In GTK+ the drawing of progress in entries was improved, notably so that the progress is drawn behind icons.
- Brian Cameron added a Sound Theme tab to the old gst-mixer, for people that can’t use PulseAudio; he also applied a few lying patches.
- moserial, a clean serial terminal, got imported in GNOME subversion repository.
February 15, 2009
This week… 1783 commits, in 177 projects, by 180 happy hackers (and 753 were translation commits).
- GNOME is now approaching 2.26 fast, and translators started, or doubled, their efforts to get it available in their languages, Daniel Nylander, Jorge Gonzalez Gonzalez, Gil Forcada Codinachs, Gabor Keleman, Jani Monoses, Alexander Alexandrov Shopov, Chao-Hsiung Liao, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan (and others) all commited many updates from their teams (Swedish (at 99%), Spanish (at 99%), Catalan (at 97%), Hungarian (at 99%), Romanian (at 71%), Bulgarian (at 91%), Chinese (Taiwan and Hong Kong, at 93%) and Thai (at 84%)).
- The new volume control switched from D-Bus to libunique to insure it has a single instance running. Anjuta did the same, removing old crufty bacon-message code.
- Rygel now has a gio-based/like asynchronous plugin API. That and
proper use of Tracker’s APIs makes browsing of media very much faster than before; there was also lots of refactoring, clean-up and
bugfixes. (thanks Zeeshan for the report)
- evolution-webcal has removed its lignomeui dependency.
- Support for incoming room invitation has been merged in Empathy . (GNOME bug 525559).
- The visual bell settings that were previously in the sound preferences have been moved into the accessibility tab of the keyboard preferences.
- Metacity will now use libcanberra to play system bell and workspace switch sounds; and sound-juicer will use it to play a sound when the rip is complete (GNOME bug 469258).
- Also in Metacity, Windows demanding attention should never appear in the alt-tab list unless they’re of a type which might have appeared there anyway.
- Brasero won’t allow Joliet (so called “Windows compatibility”) when there are symlinks in the tree as Joliet doesn’t support them.
February 8, 2009
This week… 1751 commits, in 173 projects, by 183 happy hackers (and 462 were translation commits).
- Glade added “commit” signal to allow custom editors to do command group/macros serialized around property changes; this will be used by Anjuta.
- A “Removable Devices” plugin landed in nautilus-sendo (GNOME bug 453758)
- Almost three years after 0.6.1, libcroco 0.6.2 has been tagged and released, incorporating many patches.
- Epiphany (2.26 branch) got updated for yet another Mozilla API change (for Gecko 1.9.1 support).
- In Pango Behdad Esfahbod again saved over 100 alloc calls when loading DejaVu Sans.
- A new metacity branch (rpnparser) was created to host a possible RPN-based parser which is (slightly) faster and (hopefully) clearer than the existing one.
- Empathy got a rewritten voice/video call support, using farsight2 instead of stream-engine.
- Tomboy has been ported to GtkPrint, gnome-games is now the last module to use the deprecated libgnomeprint/ui library.
- Seahorse has been updated to it only autostarts the daemon when sharing is enabled.
- And Colin Walters merged the “statusmenu” branch into gnome-shell.
December 28, 2008
This week… 1027 commits, in 147 projects, by 132 happy hackers (and 123 were translation commits).
- After support for icons has been added in GTK+ last week (and I forgot to note it), Matthias Clasen added a section in the documentation on porting from SexyIconEntry.
- libgnome dependency got removed from sound-juicer, libgnome/libgnomeui from gfloppy, and bonobo from the Anjuta toolbar.
- Nemiver variable inspector widget now remember history of the variables . (GNOME bug 536259)
- Evince got its printing system reworked, making the GUI responsive during printing, with progress information . (GNOME bug 482770)
- The system log viewer in gnome-utils has been rewritten by Cosimo Cecchi.
- Metacity got the “Maximize” shortcut to act as “Restore” for maximised windows.
- Epiphany/gecko got some Gecko 1.9.1 fixes, and Epiphany/webkit can now open new links in new tabs thanks to the new Policy Decision system in WebKit.
- The new GNOME Volume Control got a few alert sounds (bark, drip, glass and sonar).
- Rhythmbox switched to a normal GtkTooltip, rather than a custom arrangement of widgets in a SexyTooltip