March 27, 2011
This week… 3322 commits, in 211 projects, by 323 happy hackers (and 845 were translation commits).
- Mukund Sivaraman changed the default PNG compression level in gegl from 9 to 3; a compression level of 9 with large natural images such as those GEGL processes consumes a *lot* of CPU time with little benefit.
- Diego Escalante Urrelo updated the epiphany greasemonkey extension to use the new EphyDownload.
- Michael Wood contributed to Grilo an API to access picture related metadata.
- Eitan Isaacson added support for video upload to Youtube in libsocialweb.
- Philip Withnall changed libgdata to use HTTPS for all communications with the server . (GNOME bug 644940)
- Lucian Langa added proper support for Atom enclosures to evolution-rss.
- Dave Crossland changed the password bullet to a square from a circle, to maintain consistency with the overall type design of Cantarell.
- John Stowers added support for font hinting to gnome-tweak-tool.
- Mike Gorse ported registryd session management code from dbus-glib to gdbus.
- Matt Davey completed the gnome-pilot applet migration to GTK+ 3.
- In mutter Florian Müllner adjusted the position of attached dialogs to fit on-screen.
- Vincent Untz ported the gnome-panel launchers to GSettings.
- Richard Hughes added code to generate a 3D gamut hull of any 3 color profile in gnome-color-manager, he blogged about this in gnome-color-manager and profiles.
- Last but not least, the documentation team worked really hard on the new desktop help.
November 1, 2009
This week… 1906 commits, in 181 projects, by 237 happy hackers (and 363 were translation commits).
- A full screen mode has been added to emerillon (GNOME bug 599764).
- John Wendell fixed several memory leaks in Vinagre and gtk-vnc.
- A new “Document License” tab has been added to Evince, it can display license information embedded in PDF files (GNOME bug 349173)
- In GNOME Games, gnometris got renamed to quadrapassel (due to trademark concerns), and same-gnome to swell-foop (due to “GNOME” in the old name).
- Support for group profiles has been added to Sabayon, thanks to Scott Balneaves.
- GTK+ was updated to use standard Mac shortcuts on Mac OS X (Cmd-X, Cmd-C, etc .). (GNOME bug 530351)
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro ported gedit to GSettings, in the appropriately named gsettings branch of gedit; this is still a work in progress.
- Thomas Thurman added a first theme using CSS to the cowbell branch of metacity, the theme is named Sunshine.
- Peter Bloomfield marked important items in the balsa toolbars, so they work better with the new “text besides icons” default.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added ODF compability function “SHEETS” to Gnumeric.
- Matthew Barnes started porting Evolution from libglade to GtkBuilder.
- Finally usage of libgnomevfs has been removed from gnome-pilot.
October 25, 2009
This week… 1781 commits, in 178 projects, by 250 happy hackers (and 298 were translation commits).
- A fullscreen mode has been added to xchat-gnome (GNOME bug 445638).
- Jonh Wendell added the ability to use JPEG compression (thus lossy encoding) to vinagre . (GNOME bug 573272)
- Evince has been changed to always use a different process for every document.
- Eog got support for animated images, it plays animated images as supported by GdkPixbufAnimation (GNOME bug 335093).
- gnome-pilot was ported to GtkBuilder, and removed most of its usage of libgnomeui.
- Empathy removed its applets (megaphone, nothere) and Python bindings of libempathy and libempathy-gtk, on the premise they were unused and applications should use telepathy-glib, and a future telepathy-gtk, via gobject-introspection.
- Colin Walters updated the GNOME Shell to use a stable ordering for well-known icons in the notification area (volume, battery, network… ;). (GNOME bug 598313)
- Brasero got changed to no longer store some settings with GConf anymore (like window size or position of widgets) but to save and load them using GKeyFile instead.
- Thomas Thurman worked quite a lot on the “cowbell” metacity branch, to allow styling of window borders using CSS, he also posted a status update.
- Ray Strode made DeviceKit-power optional in gdm.
- GNOME Disk Utility got handling of LUKS volumes.
- Martyn Rucell updated the Totem tracker plugin to the new (0.7) tracker API.
- Paolo Bacchilega added PackageKit support to File Roller, so it will now prompt for new packages when opening archives that require an uninstalled tool.