August 2, 2009
This week… 2195 commits, in 186 projects, by 288 happy hackers (and 328 were translation commits).
- Now that gnome-doc-utils and yelp both have support for Mallard documents, Milo Casagrande converted gnome-hello documentation to the new format.
- After some discussion on the gnomecc list the default toolbar style has been changed to “Text beside items”.
- Sabayon was changed to use Xephyr instead of Xnest, as Xephyr supports the “new” X extensions.
- gnome-session has been fixed to not exit when the system bus restarts . (GNOME bug 583345)
- A new “ssh” plugin appeared in vinagre, which is becoming a universal tool to access remote systems.
- Robin Stocker added to Totem the functionality to remember the current position of a stream when pausing or closing . (GNOME bug 164918)
- After Hylke Bons posted some thoughts on the font viewer Thomas Wood started implementing the proposed ideas, in the “font-viewer-revamp” branch of the GNOME Control Center.
- Anjuta Git plugin gained an option to initialize new repositories . (GNOME bug 566698)
- Finally, during this 10th week of the summer of code, students were hard at work, some noticeable advancements:
- Paul A. Bellamy successfully implemented syncing and a properties dialog for MTP devices in Rhythmbox;
- Neil Loknath added streaming to Banshee using Telepathy, you can now stream a contact’s music after downloading their library info;
- Paulo Cabido merged the plugin engine with Getting Things Gnome main development branch.
July 12, 2009
This week… 1769 commits, in 177 projects, by 216 happy hackers (and 351 were translation commits).
- Seahorse, and many preferences windows from the control center migrated from libglade to GtkBuilder.
- gtk-doc has been updated to also look for dblatex for PDF generation, as it seems to work much better than using fop.
- Cody Russel published a new “client-side-decorations” branch for GTK+.
- Jorge Pereira added a system of plugins to vinagre, based on the gedit one.
- Brasero saw the last bits and pieces of HAL support removed, it will only rely on gio from now . (GNOME bug 581742)
- Gnome Power Manager was updated to port all the code to using PolicyKit1 rather than PolicyKit.
May 31, 2009
This week… 1881 commits, in 190 projects, by 250 happy hackers (and 279 were translation commits).
- DBus support has been added to gjs . (GNOME bug 580948).
- gnome-power-manager went back to use the original idletime code to fix backlight bugs, Richard Hughes explained in his commit that “The new IDLETIME code from gnome-session is very buggy, and the old code was much easier to understand. This should fix random DPMS off blanking and the fade-up-down-up on session resume.”
- In Empathy Pierre-Luc Beaudouin added support to display the locations of contacts on a map widget (provided by libchamplain ). (GNOME bug 571667)
- Vinagre gained a new “read-only” toggle button in its toolbar . (GNOME bug 583230)
- Johannes Schmid removed the remaining libglade bits from anjuta, that is now using GtkBuilder . (GNOME bug 530740)
- gdl, the GNOME Docking Library, removed its dependency on libgnome (GNOME bug 580860) and dropped libglade in favour of GtkBuilder (GNOME bug 582511).
- xchat-gnome got rid of the deprecated GTK+ symbols it was using (GNOME bug 572239).
- More than five years after it was first reported, thanks to the migration to WebKit, Epiphany will now set the Referer header when opening links in new tabs . (GNOME bug 120341)
May 10, 2009
This week… 1980 commits, in 184 projects, by 244 happy hackers (and 281 were translation commits).
- Alacarte switched from libglade to gtkbuilder (GNOME bug 577911) and Trevor Watkins published his work on a vala rewrite in the vala+gdesktopmenu branch.
- Anjuta git plugin now features a “amend” option in its commit dialog . (GNOME bug 580340)
- Eog gained a “set as background” command in its image context menu . (GNOME bug 581180)
- Tomas Bzatek fixed the gvfs FTP backend to parse file sizes over 4 gigabytes correctly.
- Robert Carr added a D-Bus module to Seed, he wrote about it in DBus, sandboxes, REPLs, Life.
- Alexander Larsson went through the lowlevel part of gnio, fixing all the issues he pointed out in his initial review, making it work fully on win32, writing docs, plus fixing lots of other things he found. He posted a status report, with some open questions.
- Jonh Wendell started refactoring Vinagre to make it a generic viewer, not just for VNC anymore.
- Vino, XChat-GNOME, deskbar-applet, gnome-system-monitor and Evolution changed to use g_timeout_add_seconds instead of g_timeout_add where appropriate . (GNOME bug 581204, GNOME bug 581094, GNOME bug 581207, GNOME bug 591099, GNOME bug 573830)
February 22, 2009
This week… 2257 commits, in 200 projects, by 207 happy hackers (and 665 were translation commits).
- Again the translation teams do great in the commits top 10, taking five places; the teams are Basque, Swedish, Romanian, Danish and Finnish (Iñaki Larrañaga Murgoitio, Daniel Nylander, Jani Monoses and Ilkka Tuohela).
- gtk-doc got the possibility to link to struct members . (GNOME bug 565126)
- The deskbar-applet bookmark search will also look at epiphany topics . (GNOME bug 572291)
- In glib Alexander Larsson modified g_content_type_guess to never sniff desktop files when the filename is known. In other words, only allow desktop files with the .desktop extension and when the filename isn’t known. This is a security precaution since desktop files can execute arbitrary code when launched and we don’t want to allow them to try and hide as another type. There is no legit reason to not have the .desktop extension anyway. (the .desktop issue is also being discussed in desktop-devel-list)
- Tracker got support for IPTC metadata in jpeg and tiff files.
- Sven Neumann gave some love to the GTK+ directfb support, applying some patches, fixing some issues.
- Epiphany has a new option to open new windows in tabs (only available as a gconf key for now ). (GNOME bug 571593)
- Christian Persch killed the custom OBox widget from gnome-panel as GtkBox now supports changing the orientation.
- The balance bar in the new volume control will now instant-apply . (GNOME bug 566423)
- Metacity got totally rid of metacity-dialog, and will now use zenity to present dialogs . (GNOME bug 521914)
- Vinagre got updated to allow IPv6 address on the command line and in the connection dialog.
- Rygel is getting ready for a new release, several changes here, notably the response for seekable media request is now sent buffer by buffer so the whole file is not put into memory.
- And finally, a pythonconsole plugin, based on the gedit plugin, landed in eog.