I’ve added printing support – after a bit of struggle with GnomePrint:
The output format is stolen^Winspired by Gedit, and the font is hardcoded as Serif, 12; I’ve already added a GConf key to the shipped schema – GConf integration, as well as preferences are still in a state of flux. Now that the printing is mostly nailed down, I’ll resume work on the UI side, by adding a status bar and the preferences dialog. Also, work on the applet will begin as soon as these issues are solved; the applet should be, in fact, very easy to code.
Note: It seems that a critical warning is issued each time a print dialog is destroyed and then recreated – like some signals handlers that aren’t correctely disconnected; I’ll have a look at it, but it seems a bug of libgnomeprint as far as I can tell. Update 20051212@02:53: it is now bug #323836 of libgnomeprintui
Also, judging from the memory consumption, I’m afraid of some leakage inside libgdict (mostly). I’ll have a run with Valgrind, and see what’s going on under the hood. Update 20051210@16:33: it seems that I was fooled by the system monitor memory usage graph, as I found two simple leaks (due to me being a sloppy coder), accountable of just 6kB lost – and just once per process, since one was inside the singleton init, and the other inside the
GdictSourceLoader directory walking. Both are now fixed inside my development trunk. I’m positive that, if the trend continues, the new code might land inside HEAD the next two weeks – given that the preferences dialog and the dictionary source creation code are pretty much done, and that the applet will be easy to code. Once we reach feature freeze time (in January), I’ll devote myself in writing a good user’s manual. Some might think that the next release will be a regression, but believe me: the trade-off of a few features for code readability, maintainability and overall performance is well worth it; features will be re-implemented in no time.