Category Archives: Hacking

Stinging Velvet

Clutter – If release 0.4 rocked hard, release 0.6 of Clutter will blow your mind away. Just to list some features landed in the past couple of weeks after ClutterScript got in: new event handling, borrowing from the W3C DOM … Continue reading

Posted in announce, C, clutter, GNOME, Hacking | 6 Comments


Today I committed to Clutter trunk ClutterScript, the initial support for defining the scenegraph using external files. You can think of it as the GtkBuilder equivalent for Clutter. During the 0.3 development cycle we considered using XML and JSON, and … Continue reading

Posted in C, clutter, developer, git, GNOME, Hacking | 7 Comments

When the Levee Breaks

Yesterday I decided to start working on the porting of the Gtk2::SourceView Perl module to the new upstream API. For my convenience, and because I know I’ll probably screw up, I decided to use a local git repository so I … Continue reading

Posted in developer, die-cvs-die, fun, git, Hacking, Perl | 5 Comments

My Wandering Days Are Over

This weekend I’ve finally tried Vala, something I wanted to do for a while now. Vala is, for those of you that never tried it, like GOB, but on PCP and steroids and with a syntax that doesn’t make using … Continue reading

Posted in GNOME, Hacking | 4 Comments

Flying Teapot

Clutter 0.4.0 was, finally, released two days ago. Not only the core and add-on libraries but also the language bindings are available for this new stable release cycle. We already started working on trunk for the 0.5/0.6 development cycle, which … Continue reading

Posted in announce, C, clutter, developer, Hacking | Comments Off on Flying Teapot


This year’s GUADEC has been really great – it seemed hard to top last year’s but paul, thos, robster and the rest of the GUADEC team really rocked hard to make everything work at its best. Kudos to all of … Continue reading

Posted in conference, GNOME, guadec | 5 Comments

Take it or leave it

After the comments on my latest blog post, I got back at Unique and did some rearrangements in the code base. Now the backends are all compiled in (obviously, depending on whether you have the dependencies to compile them) and … Continue reading

Posted in announce, C, GNOME, Hacking | Comments Off on Take it or leave it

Strange news from another star

I’ve been promising a release of GtkUnique for a while now, but work and other stuff got in the way of the namespace change-slash-rewrite. Yesterday I finally got around finishing the porting of the Unix domain sockets backend (or “bacon”) … Continue reading

Posted in announce, C, GNOME, Hacking | 14 Comments

Time is Running Out

Today I committed a couple of fixes to GtkRecentManager and I thought it was worth mentioning them on pgo. Up until now, GtkRecentManager instances were available either via the gtk_recent_manager_new() constructor – which left the memory management duties to the … Continue reading

Posted in C, GNOME, gtk, Hacking | 6 Comments

Company Calls Epilogue

Today I gave the final touches to a patch based upon the patch for search capabilities in the GtkFileChooser embeddable widget, adding the “Recently Used” shortcut: there are still a few missing bits (the icon for the shortcut is one … Continue reading

Posted in C, GNOME, gtk, Hacking, recent-files | 9 Comments