January 9, 2011
This week… 1791 commits, in 173 projects, by 211 happy hackers (and 356 were translation commits).
- Cristian Klein patched vte to prevent useless wakeups when the terminal doesn’t have focus, disabling the cursor blink timer when the cursor is hidden.
- Florian Müllner added two new frame states to mutter to allow theme authors to tread side-by-side windows differently . (GNOME bug 637330)
- Lucas Rocha started adding a “Sound Thing” to the board.
- Shaun McCance modified yelp to automatically install packages for missing documents.
- In Meld Kirill Müller sped up SVN listing for huge working copies . (GNOME bug 638607)
- Vivien Malerba added initial support for rich text rendering in libgda reports.
- Jon McCann changed gsettings-desktop-schema to no longer have icons on the desktop by default.
- Adel Gadllah implemented cross overview drag & drop in GNOME Shell, allowing draging to the activities button or the hotcorner (and thus opening the overview), which then allows the user to activate any window (even on different workspaces as a drop target . (GNOME bug 601731)
- Jose Aliste fixed several security issues in the DVI backend of Evince.
- The eog plugins system has been ported to use libpeas, and plugins were updated accordingly . (GNOME bug 626091)
- gitg has been ported to use gsettings by Ignacio Casal Quinteiro.
- Paolo Bacchilega re-added the semi-transparent properties box in gthumb fullscreen mode.
- Gary Lin scaled down the GTK+ print dialog size, to make it fit on a typical netbook screen . (GNOME bug 637958)
- Jonathan Matthew fixed the podcast status on download completion in Rhythmbox, this should make it possible to complete downloads that fail due to connection errors and the like . (GNOME bug 633469)
- Robert Ancell worked on the glChess vala rewrite, starting work on a chess clock, and adding back 3D board numbering.
December 26, 2010
This week… 2262 commits, in 216 projects, by 210 happy hackers (and 436 were translation commits).
- Much work happened in GTK+ to make it possible to have multiple backends in parallel.
- The charmap plugin in gedit-plugins has been rewritten in Python by Ignacio Casal Quinteiro.
- Sergey V. Udaltsov added introspection support for libgnomekbd.
- Aleksander Morgado contributed a lot of improvements to Devhelp, including the possibility for a language-based search . (GNOME bug 353108)
- The new mallard documentation of Evince has been merged.
- Tony Young added the possiblity for the user to export data from Snowy to JSON or a tarfile of .note files . (GNOME bug 629590)
- Rupert Swarbrick started rewriting manpage support in Yelp to use man -Z and parsing.
- Alejandro Leiva merged the profiles and new settings manager in Orca.
- Øyvind Kolås increased the maximum number of threads used by Gegl from 8 to 16.
December 19, 2010
This week… 1798 commits, in 165 projects, by 218 happy hackers (and 271 were translation commits).
- Shaun McCance added support for the Mallard Facets extension to both yelp and yelp-xsl.
- Robert Carr ported ease from autotools to the Wav build system.
- James Liggett implemented the Revert pane in the Git plugin of Anjuta.
- Handling of GeoRSS for YouTube videos has been added to libgdata.
- Laura Lucas Alday added command line options for starting cheese in wide and fullscreen modes . (GNOME bug 597820)
- Milan Bouchet-Valat switched the GNOME System Tools to GTK+ 3.
- A rewrite of the documentation for Orca has been started by Joanmarie Diggs.
- In gnome-settings-daemon Colin Walters changed the default behaviour when closing a laptop lid, from hibernate to suspend . (GNOME bug 637473)
- The sasl-gui branch has been merged into Empathy, meaning it is now possible to setup accounts without saving the passwords.
- Maxim Ermilov implemented filtering applications by category to GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 631537)
- Tristan Van Berkom merged his treeview refactoring in GTK+, he has a number of posts on the subject in his blog.
- Richard Hughes added a first version of a network panel to the control center.
December 12, 2010
This week… 1805 commits, in 169 projects, by 212 happy hackers (and 260 were translation commits).
- Kenny Meyer added a tab to the context pane of Rhythmbox with links to websites for album and artist info . (GNOME bug 636550)
- Philip Withnall switched many of the libgdata API to be stream-based, he wrote about his libgdata work in “Recent libgdata work“.
- Shaun McCance added syntax highlighting for code snippets in Yelp.
- The Murrine GTK+ engine has been turned into a GtkThemingEngine by Andrea Cimitan, while Carlos Garnacho did the same for the clearlooks engine in gtk-theme-engine-clearlooks.
- David Pellicer added scanning support to the Caribou onscreen keyboard.
- Detection of TLS and SSL support has been added to the FTP backend in gvfs.
- Carlos Garnacho added the beginning of a CSS-based theme to gnome-themes-standard.
- Diego Escalante Urrelo added nice custom error pages to Epiphany . (GNOME bug 592667)
- Tomas Bzatek added a check to gnome-settings-daemon, to detect if Nautilus is running, as it is no longer possible to rely on having Nautilus a key component in the session. (see GNOME bug 636191 for details).
- Carlos Garcia Campos added a new sidebar page for bookmarks in Evince, it allows to add, remove, and rename internal bookmarks.
- Daniel G. Siegle added new effects contributed by Filippo Argiolas to gnome-video-effects, and added a fade-in animation when switching effect page in Cheese.
- Johannes Schmid ported Anjuta to G(tk)Application.
- Bastien Nocera added a “network time” switch to the datetime control center panel.
- The Quartz backend in GTK+ has been ported to the latest rendering-cleanup changes by Kristian Rietveld.
- Brandon Lewis implemented the saving of presets in Pitivi.
- The participants to the doc dev tools hackfest contributed a serie of tutorials and demos to the gnome-devel-docs module.
December 5, 2010
This week… 2430 commits, in 174 projects, by 220 happy hackers (and 194 were translation commits).
- Totem has been updated to hide its slider when streaming, to avoid people getting confused by the slider getting stuck in one location . (GNOME bug 549691)
- Dots (an interactive braille transcribing application) got support for Microsoft Word files.
- Robert Ancell made gnobots2 and gnomine from gnome-games work with GTK+3 and Cairo.
- Ray Strode added a new “maximized” tile to mutter, it allows the user to maximize their windows (in other words, tile with the edge panels) by dragging their window to the top edge of the monitor . (GNOME bug 630548)
- Paolo Borelli added support for gunichar to pygobject . (GNOME bug 623615)
- Francisco Rojas patched postr to throw an error if an image disappears during the upload process . (GNOME bug 537554)
- The overview relayout branch landed in GNOME Shell, as noted by Florian Müllner in a quick notice.
- Aleksander Morgado ported devhelp to the new new GApplication API.
- Evolution-data-server was changed to set CalDAV calendars read-only when the server is unreachable . (GNOME bug 530205)
- Paolo Bacchilega added a D-Bus service to file-roller to create and extract archives.
- Cosimo Cecchi ported the control center media panel to use the new GtkAppChooserButton.
- The Board got a simple mechanism to export object via HTTP.
- In gnome-session Vincent Untz moved the definition of a session from gconf to .desktop-like files.
- Nate Stedman started a new text system for ease, to provide a more featured replacement of ClutterText.
- The gtk-style-context branch of GTK+ landed, Carlos Garnacho uploaded some documentation, thmingTheming in GTK+, and Migrating from GtkStyle to GtkStyleContext.
- And thanks to the doc dev tools hackfest, demos and tutorials were commited to gnome-devel-docs, improved Mallard support landed in library-web, and the week ended with some mysterious content landing in the web-devel-2 module…
November 28, 2010
This week… 2827 commits, in 163 projects, by 220 happy hackers (and 223 were translation commits).
- Cosimo Cecchi started porting the “removable media” preferences tab of Nautilus to be a new control center panel.
- A limit to the number of times gnome-session will try to restart an application has been added by Jon McCann; it’s still missing the display of en error dialog when such a situation happens . (GNOME bug 634762)
- Johannes Schmid added a new code analyser plugin to Anjuta, it uses clang and the results are displayed in the message pane like compiler errors.
- Pedro Castro improved the support for FAB Subtitler files in gnome-subtitles.
- Gabriel Burt added back a podcast browser to Banshee.
- After months of work TLS support has finally landed in glib, many thanks to Dan Winship, it adds an extension point into gio, and glib-networking provides a gnutls-based implementation . (GNOME bug 588189)
- Lucas Rocha started a nautilus extension for the-board; at the moment it allows adding photos to The Board.
- Alexander Larsson landed a “broadway” branch into GTK+, this adds a HTML backend to GTK+; he had written about this before in GTK+ 3 vs HTML 5.
- Maxim Ermilov made links in message banners of gnome shell clickable . (GNOME bug 610219)
- The “About GNOME” dialog has been removed, a new “System Information” panel should arrive to provide similar functionalities.
- Jon Drufresne added a “Show whitespace” preference for the comparison of files in meld . (GNOME bug 622342)
- A complete API break happened in libgrss as all object and function names have been moved to the “grss” namespace.
- Brandon Lewis maded it possible for the viewer widget in pitivi to be (un)docked.
- The gutters in GtkSourceView (typically used to draw line numbers on the side) have been improved by Jesse van den Kieboom, to remove some limitations in sizing and accurate user control.
November 21, 2010
This week… 1927 commits, in 202 projects, by 209 happy hackers (and 400 were translation commits).
- Christian Persch moved back the typing-break code from gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-control-center to its own drwright module.
- Owen Taylor added a new frame type to mutter for modal dialogs . (GNOME bug 592382)
- Much work happened around the gtk-style-context branch of GTK+, with many modules tentatively ported, including a transformation of the ClearLooks into a GtkThemingEngine.
- Vinagre was adapted to the new G[tk]Application API by Jonh Wendell.
- Colin Walters added support for gunichar as a new fundamental type tag to gjs . (GNOME bug 633199)
- GNOME Power Manager has been cleaned of all its UPS specific UI, to just use the battery critical action for the UPS critical state.
- Andoni Morales Alastruey updated Longomatch to only show players that are actually plaging, and to sort them on their numbers, not names.
- A new Battery & Power indicator has been added to GNOME Shell by Giovanni Campagna . (GNOME bug 622451)
- The GNOME Control Center got a new ‘Power’ panel, with appropriate power management settings.
- Libsoup has been changed to make URI username/password override cached info; this allows a page to, eg, force a logout by sending an XMLHttpRequest using a bad password . (GNOME bug 631679)
- Peter Hutterer added a wacom gnome-settings-daemon plugin.
- Also Tomas Bzatek started porting Nautilus aurorun code as a new automount gnome-settings-daemon plugin.
- Cosimo Cecchi started implementing a “open with” dialog right in GTK+, it is currently in the open-with-dialog branch.
- Last but not least Arx Cruz added a new quite featured –form option to Zenity, making it possible to build more complex dialogs from a simple command line . (GNOME bug 412493)
November 14, 2010
This week… 2168 commits, in 214 projects, by 223 happy hackers (and 385 were translation commits).
- Tomas Bzatek ported the GVFS daemons to GSettings.
- The drag n drop redesign of GNOME Shell has been pushed to the gnome-shell-design repository.
- Torsten Schoenfeld worked on introspection support in the Perl modules, adding tests and implementing conversions from and to Perl scalar values.
- Owen Taylor pushed his mutter branch making shadows pretty and configurable . (GNOME bug 592382)
- Epiphany has been changed to use ful lcontent zoom by default . (GNOME bug 615362)
- Shaun McCance added support for TTML captions to Mallard
tag, he wrote about it in Mallard+TTML Video Captions.
- Maxim Ermilov updated GNOME Shell to never fall back to using the window title as application name . (GNOME bug 624935)
- Tomaž Vajngerl added the MapQuest rendered for OpenStreetMap to libchamplain.
- Jose Aliste ported the gedit syntex plugin to both libpeas and the newest pygobject (with introspection).
- Nemiver got better breakpoint re-setting on restart, by Dodji Seketeli . (GNOME bug 634227)
- Lucas Rocha added thing-specific toolbars to The Board (which has been added to git.gnome.org recently), and later he wrote about them in Context Toolbars in The Board.
- In GTK+ A xcb GDK backend has been started by Ryan Lortie.
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro updated gstranslated plugin engine to use libpeas.
- And Gheyret T.Kenji added Uighur translations to a lot of modules.
November 7, 2010
This week… 1795 commits, in 177 projects, by 252 happy hackers (and 317 were translation commits).
- Robert Ancell updated gnome-nettool to use gsettings (GNOME bug 625900), he also fixed autocompletion and dropdown history.
- Roberto Majadas pushed his win32 branch of nanny, the GNOME parental control application.
- A simple distribution upgrade tool using PackageKit has been started by Richard Hughes, he blogged about it in Preupgrade, meet PackageKit.
- Empathy has been fixed to to support multiple telephone fields . (GNOME bug 630421)
- Sandy Armstrong started an HTML5 offline note application built on jQuery Mobile, for snowy.
- The media-keys gnome-settings-daemon plugin has been ported to GDBus by Bastien Nocera . (GNOME bug 634104)
- Also in gnome-settings-daemon Rodrigo Moya added a settings key to disable boot time configuration of XRandR configuration . (GNOME bug 631388)
- Paolo Bacchilega added Windows Imaging Format (.wim, .swm) support to file-roller.
- Holger Berndt added the possibility to register an external bulk rename tool in Nautilus . (GNOME bug 306489)
- Jim Evins refined the barcode objects in glables, drawing a outline and using a more sophisticated test to determine if the cursor is on a barcode object.
- Johannes Shmid ported Anjuta to GTK+ 3, and started the work to port Glade, on the “offscreen-gtk3” branch. Also in the GTK+ 3 port serie, Thomas H.P. Andersen ported gnotski (from gnome games) and Ignacio Casal Quinteiro ported gtranslator.
- In GTK+ 3 itself Alexander Larsson added GtkRadioGroup, a group of object having radiobutton like behaviour, and Bastien Nocera added support for a custom GtkAssistant page type . (GNOME bug 576498)
October 24, 2010
This week… 2246 commits, in 200 projects, by 225 happy hackers (and 297 were translation commits).
- Colin Walters worked on porting gjs to xulrunner 2, including a port to use fast constructors.
- Rodrigo Moya migrated many control center settings (accessibility, mouse and touchpad) to GSettings.
- A “Remove attachments” command has been added to Evolution by Rex Tsai (GNOME bug 534453)
- Brtfs has been made a normal part of gparted, it is no longer necessary to use the –enable-brtfs option.
- A volume indicator has been added to GNOME Shell by Giovanni Campagna . (GNOME bug 629455)
- Vitaly Minko added a new popup menu item in the Empathy chat window allowing to add words to dictionaries . (GNOME bug 550775).
- Felix Riemann made “best fit” a toggle action in Eog, making it clear from the toolbar when the image will be rescaled with the window and when not . (GNOME bug 616890)
- Tadej Borovšak added a GtkScollable interface to GTK+, and several modules (Nautilus, GNOME Control Center, gtksourceview, and gedit) have already been adapted to use it.
- Also in GTK+ Matthias Clasen added a new GtkGrid widget, similar to GtkTable but without the legacy properties and unncessary restrictions.
- GNOME Settings Daemon got a bridge plugin, listening to GSettings changes and propagating them to GConf.