June 27, 2010
This week… 2629 commits, in 209 projects, by 282 happy hackers (and 315 were translation commits).
- GSettings ports again, nautilus-sendto, gcalctool were both switched this week to use GSettings. nautilus-sendto has also been ported to GTK+ 3.0, and Rygel as well.
- OpenID support has been added to Snowy, the web companion of Tomboy.
- Daniel P. Berrange added support for colourmap based pixel formats to gtk-vnc, his patch implements full support for rendering from colourmaps, this should improve performances in low bandwidth situations.
- The notification-daemon got support for multiple screens and monitor changes (GNOME bug 622552)
- Christian Persch ported the SVGZ support in librsvg so it can use GZlibDecompressor instead of libgsf . (GNOME bug 621699)
- Damon Chaplin worked quite a lot on a new API for goocanvas, in the new-api branch of goocanvas…
- GNOME Shell got support for icon buttons in notifications, thanks to Matt Novenstern . (GNOME bug 621014)
- Morten Welinder fixed the excessive memory usage of gnumeric related to column styles when reading xslx files . (GNOME bug 622365)
- Michael J. Chudobiak switched the documentation of gthumb to Mallard.
- In Empathy support for importing old Missing Control 4 accounts has been removed.
- Bastien Nocera ported the sound preferences dialog to be a panel in the new control center; and Richard Hughes ported the preferences dialog of GNOME PackageKit.
- The GNOME Panel got support for gobject-introspection, for its panel applet library . (GNOME bug 622341)
- In Vinagre Jonh Wendell implemented the “take screenshot” command for the SSH connections.
- In the land of GSOC students Jamie Nicol finished off the profile view (screenshot), Stéphane Maniaci added some informations about the photos imported from Flickr (titles, descriptions, authors), Michel Hruby started a Totem plugin to allow searching for recent media, and other students were also hard at work.
May 30, 2010
This week… 2346 commits, in 184 projects, by 266 happy hackers (and 405 were translation commits).
- Vincent Untz improved and merged Carlos Garcia Campos branch of gnome-panel that moves applets off Bonobo, to D-Bus . (GNOME bug 572131)
- Shaun McCance landed a bookmarks editor in Yelp.
- A Kupfer plugin that adds a quick access to tasks from Getting Things GNOME! has been contributed by Karol Będkowski.
- The “Default Applications” capplet has been converted to a settings panel.
- Support for devices with sector sizes of more than 512 bytes have been enabled in gparted (GNOME bug 607165)
- Adel Gadllah contributed to GNOME Shell, with a patch to make sure the app switcher would always be displayed on the primary monitor.
- XInput2 support has been merged in GTK+, enabling the use of multiple keyboards and pointer pairs . (GNOME bug 596725)
- Both GNOME Color Manager and Evince have been ported to use GDBus.
- Alexander Larsson added some initial support for dtrace and systemtap to GLib, the current set of probes is on allocation and free using g_malloc & friends, and g_slice, and gquark name tracking . (GNOME bug 606044)
- Edgar Luna added a new lyrics parser, using darklyrics.com, to Rhythmbox (GNOME bug 525094)
- Support for gobject introspection has been added to gtksourceview by Tomeu Vizoso, and to dconf by Ryan Lortie.
- Morten Welinder added a non-linear solver to Gnumeric (GNOME bug 614865)
- In their GSOC Yuvi Panda pushed the work he started to rewrite Cheese in Vala, Jamie Nicol updated the Last.fm plugin of rhythmbox to support the new authentication API, and Salomon Sickert has written the first part of a support library for his “TaskView” project.
May 23, 2010
This week… 2040 commits, in 188 projects, by 264 happy hackers (and 299 were translation commits).
- Brian M. Carlson added DocBook version 5 support to yelp-xsl.
- Totem and Transmageddon both got support for the new WebM video format.
- The Google Calendar backend in evolution-data-server has been removed, as the CalDAV backend should be enough to interact with Google.
- Carlos Garcia Campos continued working on his Bonobo-less panel changes, with a port to GDBus.
- Thomas Wood added support for “shell” and “panels” in gnome-control-center, and added an initial implementation of a date/time panel.
- Shaun McCance added nautilus-sendto support in Yelp, to be able to send the pictures in documentation.
- The password length limit for SSH connections in Vinagre has been lifted.
- Xan Lopez removed the status bar of Epiphany, replacing its only use, the display of targets, by a small overlay that only appear on hover . (GNOME bug 609713)
- Łukasz Jernaś added GObject introspection support to Emerillon.
- GEdit got full support for compressed files . (GNOME bug 413220)
- In GNOME Shell Owen Taylor added a facility for automated performance measurement (GNOME bug 618189); and Dan Winship updated the Telepathy support to show notifications of presence changes (GNOME bug 611613).
- Emmanuele Bassi added a GApplication class to GLib, and Colin Walters used it to add a GtkApplication class to GTK+.
- Lin Ma reworked Solaris file event notification in GIO.
February 28, 2010
This week… 2327 commits, in 209 projects, by 299 happy hackers (and 739 were translation commits).
- libgda got initial support for GObject Introspection, thanks to Daniel Espinosa.
- Empathy conversation logger can now be run as a separate process (GNOME bug 518414)
- Zenity got a –color-selection switch, to display a color selection dialog . (GNOME bug 540169)
- GNOME Screensaver got a control center extension panel, but it got reverted, most likely for the next release.
- Brasero drive selection widget has been fixed to be usable from GtkBuilder (GNOME bug 608170)
- Some minimal support for checking certificates has been added to Epiphany (GNOME bug 600663)
- GNOME Shell got notifications to point to windows demanding attention (via the urgency hint ) (GNOME bug 610594)
- gnote has been changed to allow user to decide if links are updated when renaming a note . (GNOME bug 584789)
- gcalctool was chaned to allow hexadecimal numbers to be entered in lower-case.
- Carlos Garcia Campos pushed a bonobo-less branch of the GNOME Panel, porting both gnome-panel and libpanel-applet to D-Bus . (GNOME bug 572131)
January 17, 2010
This week… 2106 commits, in 195 projects, by 235 happy hackers (and 348 were translation commits).
- Behdad Esfahbod added the possibility to save the content of a terminal . (GNOME bug 24457)
- Vinagre feature to share a desktop over Telepathy has been ported to the latest Telepathy API, removing the requirement on Empathy to dispatch tubes.
- A new accounts-dialog module has been imported, talking to a new accountsservice service to manage accounts; Matthias Clasen announced it on his weblog: Old Promises.
- Parallel to those developments Milan Bouchet-Vala continued hacking on the accounts management in system-tools-backend and GNOME system tools, improving both backends and user interface.
- XChat-GNOME got rid of libgnome and libgnomeui (GNOME bug 584887); the GNOME Panel also got rid of them.
- gdm has been fixed to not display a different message for user unknown versus a failed password for a valid user, to avoid revealing which user names are valid without authenticating . (GNOME bug 606703)
- Andrea Cimitan speed up the Murrine engine in RGBA mode, fixing the way webkit windows were handled along the way.
- Alexander Larsson added support for lazy loading of giomodules to GLib.
- Thomas Wood worked on the evolution of the control center, moving to a single window approach, in the single-window-shell branch, read his weblog for more info.
- GNOME Disk Utility got a first cut at LVM2 support, with support for creating Logical Volumes; support for setting up striping and mirroring will come later.
- Bastien Nocera added cropping capability to the chooser widget of Cheese . (GNOME bug 606730)
- Toms Baugis improved the hamster applet so it will now adapt automatically to theme colours.
- Epiphany “find on page” feature has been improved to wait a little bit before searching for one or two character strings, which slowed down things . (GNOME bug 598322)
August 23, 2009
This week… 2565 commits, in 231 projects, by 273 happy hackers (and 652 were translation commits).
- Andoni Morales imported longomatch, a sports video analysis tool for coaches and sports scientists using Mono and GStreamer, into git.gnome.org.
- Empathy gained optional support for connman (as used in Moblin) to manage its connectivity status. Sjoerd Simons also pushed his branch porting Empathy to Mission Control 5, which improves the foundations of Empathy and makes integrating Telepathy with the desktop more practical.
- Zhang Sen finished his Summer of Code pushing a new collaborative mode to his sudoku over telepathy tubes.
- The Evolution Exchange autoconfig wizard has been ported to GtkAssistant, evolution-exchange is now libgnome(ui) free . (GNOME bug 580904)
- The “About Me” configuration window was ported to PolicyKit 1.0, to be honest this amounted to removing all traces of PolicyKit from the application.
- Orca got special casing for the no break space character since some synthesizers cannot handle them . (GNOME bug 591734)
- Daniel Elstner continued his work, cleaning the build process of many C++ bindings, and converted the examples in the gtkmm documentation to non-recursive build.
- Brian Cameron improved the documentation for a11y configuration of gdm . (GNOME bug 141378)
- In the Panel Vincent Untz fixed several issues related to multi monitor use cases.
August 17, 2009
This week… 2799 commits, in 207 projects, by 314 happy hackers (and 707 were translation commits).
- Nautilus has been changed to inhibit gnome-power-manager when copying files (GNOME bug 334806).
- Simon van der Linden landed much of his summer of code work on pybank (using gobject-introspection to create dynamic Python bindings to gobject libraries) in the gsco2009 branch.
- GConf has removed its libgnome dependency (which was casued by a test client ) (GNOME bug 586435), and was ported to the PolicyKit 1.0 API (GNOME bug 585303).
- Benjamin Otte ported byzanz (screencast tool) from gnome-vfs to gio, and from gdk to cairo.
- Thanks to a change in libgweather it is now possible to add an UTC time entry to the clock applet . (GNOME bug 541145)
- Jean Bréfort added a new cairo-based canvas to goffice, to be used in Gnumeric, to replace foocanvas.
- Every little part of gnome-panel has been ported to GtkBuilder.
- The gvfs gphoto2 backend and monitor were ported to gudev.
- Most of the C++ bindings were transitioned to a new build infrastructure, using the new mm-common module.
- In Yelp Shaun McCance added the possibility for ghelp: URIs to reference Mallard documents.
- And an all-new Mallard documentation, mostly written by Milo Casagrande and Phil Bull, has been merged into Empathy.
- Dan Winship ported SoupAddress to use GResolver, new in the latest GLib.
- Finally Matthew Barnes added support for “Fifth Sunday *of the month*” to Evolution (in his kill-bonobo branch) (and it also works for other weekdays !) (GNOME bug 328361).
February 22, 2009
This week… 2257 commits, in 200 projects, by 207 happy hackers (and 665 were translation commits).
- Again the translation teams do great in the commits top 10, taking five places; the teams are Basque, Swedish, Romanian, Danish and Finnish (Iñaki Larrañaga Murgoitio, Daniel Nylander, Jani Monoses and Ilkka Tuohela).
- gtk-doc got the possibility to link to struct members . (GNOME bug 565126)
- The deskbar-applet bookmark search will also look at epiphany topics . (GNOME bug 572291)
- In glib Alexander Larsson modified g_content_type_guess to never sniff desktop files when the filename is known. In other words, only allow desktop files with the .desktop extension and when the filename isn’t known. This is a security precaution since desktop files can execute arbitrary code when launched and we don’t want to allow them to try and hide as another type. There is no legit reason to not have the .desktop extension anyway. (the .desktop issue is also being discussed in desktop-devel-list)
- Tracker got support for IPTC metadata in jpeg and tiff files.
- Sven Neumann gave some love to the GTK+ directfb support, applying some patches, fixing some issues.
- Epiphany has a new option to open new windows in tabs (only available as a gconf key for now ). (GNOME bug 571593)
- Christian Persch killed the custom OBox widget from gnome-panel as GtkBox now supports changing the orientation.
- The balance bar in the new volume control will now instant-apply . (GNOME bug 566423)
- Metacity got totally rid of metacity-dialog, and will now use zenity to present dialogs . (GNOME bug 521914)
- Vinagre got updated to allow IPv6 address on the command line and in the connection dialog.
- Rygel is getting ready for a new release, several changes here, notably the response for seekable media request is now sent buffer by buffer so the whole file is not put into memory.
- And finally, a pythonconsole plugin, based on the gedit plugin, landed in eog.
January 25, 2009
This week… 1650 commits, in 173 projects, by 193 happy hackers (and 306 were translation commits).
- The panel got lockdown support to prevent it being dragged to a different screen edge . (GNOME bug 309721).
- Alacarte was ported to gio . (GNOME bug 514574)
- Jonh Wendell rewrote the vinagre applet, to use GObject, fixing the way it works on transparent panels in the process (GNOME bug 568674); he also commited a rewritten Vino Preferences dialog, with the ability to check if the machine can be accessed though the Internet.
- Seed got opengl-glib girs and a glxgears port.
- In Nautilus, gnome-desktop and gnome-settings-daemon, patches from Ray Strode landed, adding support for fading between backgrounds.
- Anjuta got upgraded to use GtkPrint, removing its dependency on libgnomeprint/ui . (GNOME bug 564659)
- Patches by Tomeu Vizoso were commited to evince to move code to a libeviview library, so it can be embedded in other applications, Tomeu blogged about it . (GNOME bug 567751)
- John Stowers came back on conduit, applying patches and fixing many bugs.
- In Epiphany Gustavo Noronha added multiple keyword-based AND-search for the location bar.
- GTK+ got support for select-by-word in selectable labels, marks on GtkScale, and improved autocompletion in the file chooser entry.