August 7, 2011
This week… 1642 commits, in 165 projects, by 217 happy hackers (and 223 were translation commits).
- Jesse van den Kieboom added pre-commit and post-commit hook execution to gitg.
- Stef Walter implemented GTlsDatabase into glib-networking, an abstract object implemented by the various TLS backends, which is used by GTlsConnection to lookup certificates and keys, as well as verify certificate chains . (GNOME bug 636572)
- Stef Walter also ported libcryptui to use GSettings.
- In Rygel Luis de Bethencourt made the AVC_MP4 and AAC_ISO_320 transcoders configurable.
- Guillaume Desmottes changed Vinagre to default to 8 bit color depth for Telepathy tubes, as those connections are often slower than local connections . (GNOME bug 655415)
- Vincent Untz ported gnome-panel to use the new gnome-menus API . (GNOME bug 649327)
- Fabien Parent contributed support for user defined assembly syntax in Nemiver.
- Richard Hughes added a backlight helper to the gnome-settings-daemon power plugin, as xbacklight isn’t always present.
- Jasper St. Pierre made looking glass recognize new extensions as they are added to gnome-shell . (GNOME bug 654770)
- The new Evolution documentation, in Mallard and written and assembled by Andre Klapper has landed.
- Shaun McCance added support for a “button” style on link, in yelp-xsl.
- Support for rich text in legends has been added to goffice by Jean Bréfort.
- Cosimo Cecchi removed the built-in hover audio previewer from Nautilus, as there is now sushi.
- Joaquim Rocha added support for exporting to PDF in ocrfeeder.
- Bastien Nocera added a plugin to rotate videos to Totem . (GNOME bug 589399)
- Morten Welinder excised usage of libgnome* and bonobo from Gnumeric.
- In evolution-data-server Philip Withnall added support for getting and setting photos on contacts from Google Contacts, including caching support . (GNOME bug 619135)
January 16, 2011
This week… 2282 commits, in 191 projects, by 251 happy hackers (and 480 were translation commits).
- Giovanni Campagni created a gnome-shell-extensions repository, to host extensions modifying and extending GNOME Shell functionality and behavior, at the moment there are two extensions: alternate-tab (a replacement for Alt-Tab, allows to cycle between windows and does not group by application), and xandr-indicator (a systems status menu for rotating monitors)
- Andreas J. Guelzow fixed locale specific sotring in Gnumeric . (GNOME bug 638874)
- Philip Withnall had to limit Totem to displaying videos in the formats authorized by YouTube’s terms of service, Bastien Nocera had a blog post about this, YouTube playback will suck again.
- Paolo Bacchilega modified file-roller to use the new GTK+ app chooser dialog for the “Open With” command.
- Robert Ancell added a “set to default” button to dconf-editor.
- The Vala rewrite of glchess has been merged in gnome-games.
- In gnome-utils Cosimo Cecchi ported both the screenshot tool and the log viewer to GSettings.
- A keyboard layout selector has been added to the Shell, the indicator is shown when more than one group is loaded in X and it is not disabled in GSettings . (GNOME bug 600771)
- Jon McCann added some real informations to the new system info panel of gnome-control-center.
- Lucas Rocha added the ability to move multiple things at once in the board.
- The gedit-collaboration plugin has been updated to use the new asynchronous SASL API for authentication, by Jesse van den Kieboom.
- Luciana Fujii changed Cheese to use camerabin as pipeline base, in the “camerabin” branch.
- In Yelp Rupert Swarbrick added code to make links from strings of the form “blah(2)” in man pages.
- Philip Withnall improved the Google backend for contacts in evolution-data-server, to support categorising contacts in groups . (GNOME bug 566441)
- Tiffany Antopolski continued adding and filling pages for the new GNOME documentation, with a serie of pages about window managements in the Shell.
December 5, 2010
This week… 2430 commits, in 174 projects, by 220 happy hackers (and 194 were translation commits).
- Totem has been updated to hide its slider when streaming, to avoid people getting confused by the slider getting stuck in one location . (GNOME bug 549691)
- Dots (an interactive braille transcribing application) got support for Microsoft Word files.
- Robert Ancell made gnobots2 and gnomine from gnome-games work with GTK+3 and Cairo.
- Ray Strode added a new “maximized” tile to mutter, it allows the user to maximize their windows (in other words, tile with the edge panels) by dragging their window to the top edge of the monitor . (GNOME bug 630548)
- Paolo Borelli added support for gunichar to pygobject . (GNOME bug 623615)
- Francisco Rojas patched postr to throw an error if an image disappears during the upload process . (GNOME bug 537554)
- The overview relayout branch landed in GNOME Shell, as noted by Florian Müllner in a quick notice.
- Aleksander Morgado ported devhelp to the new new GApplication API.
- Evolution-data-server was changed to set CalDAV calendars read-only when the server is unreachable . (GNOME bug 530205)
- Paolo Bacchilega added a D-Bus service to file-roller to create and extract archives.
- Cosimo Cecchi ported the control center media panel to use the new GtkAppChooserButton.
- The Board got a simple mechanism to export object via HTTP.
- In gnome-session Vincent Untz moved the definition of a session from gconf to .desktop-like files.
- Nate Stedman started a new text system for ease, to provide a more featured replacement of ClutterText.
- The gtk-style-context branch of GTK+ landed, Carlos Garnacho uploaded some documentation, thmingTheming in GTK+, and Migrating from GtkStyle to GtkStyleContext.
- And thanks to the doc dev tools hackfest, demos and tutorials were commited to gnome-devel-docs, improved Mallard support landed in library-web, and the week ended with some mysterious content landing in the web-devel-2 module…
August 1, 2010
This week… 1817 commits, in 202 projects, by 221 happy hackers (and 396 were translation commits).
- In the ongoing transitions emerillon has been ported to GSettings, while evolution, evolution-data-server, and brasero have been ported to GDBus (GNOME bug 622884 and others).
- Also glibmm gained a wrapper for GApplication, and gtkmm another one for GtkApplication.
- Mike Gorse added thread safety around main loop invocations in PyGTK.
- Eye of GNOME got a settings conversion file, to migrate configuration from GConf to GSettings.
- Jonh Wendell ported Vinagre to use libpeas for its plugins.
- And a basic support for plugin dependencies has been added to libpeas.
- Cheese effect preview elements have been changed to be constructed on-demand, rather than at startup, which has a great effect on startup performance.
- Matthias Clasen improved a lot the coverage of unit tests in GLib.
- Michael Natterer started porting various bits of Gimp from drawing with GDK to drawing with Cairo.
- Paolo Borelli made a first cut at a fonts panel for gnome control center 3.0, at the moment a straight port of the fonts tab of the current appearance preferences dialog.
- In Gnumeric Jean Brefort added support for importing old Guppi graphs from gnumeric 1.0 files.
- Nate Stedman added support for shapes and backgrounds to Ease.
- In Vala Michael Terry added support for the new bytestring GVariant (GNOME bug 624986)
- Last but not least Cosimo Cecchi removed the backgrounds/emblems feature in Nautilus.
- As for GSoC students, many were at GUADEC and you should really watch the recorded GSoC lightning talks session once it’s made available…
June 6, 2010
This week… 1883 commits, in 194 projects, by 225 happy hackers (and 372 were translation commits).
- Christian Persch added a backend using GDBus to libunique (GNOME bug 618723).
- In the same vain both libbonobo and nautilus have been ported to use GDBus.
- In another important transition Richard Hughes ported gnome-packagekit and gnome-power-manager to GSettings.
- Maxim Ermilov modified GNOME Shell app view to have sections, based on the categories from desktop files . (GNOME bug 614131)
- John Palmieri added the gtk-demo app, and a couple of demos, to the the pygi repository.
- Per-line staging and unstaging has been made possibile in the gitg git frontend.
- Robert Carr added a theme chooser, and several themes, to his Glide presentation tool.
- In the Ease presentation tool Nate Stedman added transition previews in the inspector.
- Evolution-data-server got the necessary code to connect via a SOCKS4 proxy.
- Yelp got a “Read Later” feature, Shaun McCance wrote about it on his blog: Read It Later With Yelp.
- Ruben Vermeersch worked on the import code of f-spot.
- An initial universal access module and UI has been added to the gnome-control-center by Thomas Wood.
- During his SoC Alex Launi abstracted the context pane logic of Banshee so that the context pane and the now playing area can work independently while sharing the same backend content.
- Yuvi Panga spent his second week replicating most of the UI of Cheese in Vala, making the thumbnail widget work, and implementing a fullscreen mode.
May 23, 2010
This week… 2040 commits, in 188 projects, by 264 happy hackers (and 299 were translation commits).
- Brian M. Carlson added DocBook version 5 support to yelp-xsl.
- Totem and Transmageddon both got support for the new WebM video format.
- The Google Calendar backend in evolution-data-server has been removed, as the CalDAV backend should be enough to interact with Google.
- Carlos Garcia Campos continued working on his Bonobo-less panel changes, with a port to GDBus.
- Thomas Wood added support for “shell” and “panels” in gnome-control-center, and added an initial implementation of a date/time panel.
- Shaun McCance added nautilus-sendto support in Yelp, to be able to send the pictures in documentation.
- The password length limit for SSH connections in Vinagre has been lifted.
- Xan Lopez removed the status bar of Epiphany, replacing its only use, the display of targets, by a small overlay that only appear on hover . (GNOME bug 609713)
- Łukasz Jernaś added GObject introspection support to Emerillon.
- GEdit got full support for compressed files . (GNOME bug 413220)
- In GNOME Shell Owen Taylor added a facility for automated performance measurement (GNOME bug 618189); and Dan Winship updated the Telepathy support to show notifications of presence changes (GNOME bug 611613).
- Emmanuele Bassi added a GApplication class to GLib, and Colin Walters used it to add a GtkApplication class to GTK+.
- Lin Ma reworked Solaris file event notification in GIO.
May 9, 2010
This week… 2274 commits, in 184 projects, by 262 happy hackers (and 262 were translation commits).
- Guillaume Desmottes and Sjoerd Simons merged their timestamp work into Empathy’s master branch . (GNOME bug 615976)
- Nautilus saw changes in its bookmark API, including the removal of the deprecated gtnome-fs-bookmark* icon names, replaced by the folder icon, and the use of emblems.
- Aleksander Morgado has been improving unicode support of tracker using libicu based word breaking to the parser-libunistring-review branch of tracker.
- Meego improvements got merged into Banshee’s master branch.
- Robert Carr started theming support and improved shapes capabilities in Glide.
- Ekiga got support to work in 16bpp mode . (GNOME bug 611308)
- gedit port to gsettings continued, with many plugins ported already.
- Ross Burton has been working on Randr related improvements of gnome-settings-daemon for Meego. This is happening in the new randr branch of gnome-settings-daemon.
- Yelp got basic printing support, and started being ported to gdbus.
- Matthias Clasen layed ground for new work on GTK+ 3.0 as he made it parallel-installable to 2.x.
- Matthew Barnes went forward replacing CamelObject by GObject in camel, evolution, evolution-data-server, evolution-mapi and evolution-exchange.
Many thanks to Dodji Seketeli who assembled most of this issue.
September 27, 2009
This week… 2610 commits, in 209 projects, by 286 happy hackers (and 539 were translation commits).
- The Perl bindings written by Emmanuel Rodriguez have been merged into libchamplain.
- A branch by Alexander Sack reworking NetworkManager menu has been uploaded (it is named “menu-rework”).
- Mark Kasik added support for the ‘auth-info’ attribute to the CUPS print backend of GTK + (GNOME bug 566522).
- Deprecated GTK+ symbols have been removed from gok (GNOME bug 572686).
- Ryan Lortie published a gsettings branch of Devhelp, demonstrating the conversion from GConf to GSettings.
- GNOME Shell has been updated to not treat 1024×600 as widescreen (GNOME bug 596375).
- The GNOME Volume Control has been changed to allow going up to 150% for output volume (GNOME bug 591285).
- Brasero has been fixed to not leak the CD drive device file descriptor, that kept the drive locked . (GNOME bug 596241)
- Evolution has been changed to use Message-ID instead of Message-Id, for increased compatibility with other applications (GNOME bug 596157).
- Ross Burton switched evolution-data-server calendar to D-Bus instead of Bonobo, in the “dbus-calendar” branch.
June 28, 2009
This week… 1811 commits, in 183 projects, by 217 happy hackers (and 226 were translation commits).
- Evince was changed to output straight PDF for printers supporting PDF natively . (GNOME bug 585442)
- Evolution gained an inline view of application/mbox attachments . (GNOME bug 464131)
- A problem with RSA key size that were not a multiple of 8 has been fixed in gnome-keyring . (GNOME bug 576700)
- A new theme, Moblesse, has been added to the experimental GTK+ CSS theme engine.
- Milan Crha fixed several issues and improved the performance of the evolution-data-server CalDAV backend.
- Philippe Rouquier commited a new layout for the Brasero user interface: the medium selector is still inside the main window and on clicking burn a dialog appears to set the session burning options
- In both libgoffice and gnumeric Andreas J. Guelzow improved Open Document Format support (number style output, scientific number output, time and date styles, import of currency symbols, and much more).
- F-Spot Adjust Time dialog, and gnome-session windows, have been ported from libglade to GtkBuilder.
- A Python binding for libbrasero-burn has been added to gnome-python-desktop.
- As explained in his Data about Data weblog post, Alexander Larsson added metadata support in gvfs, and already made Nautilus use it.
- Empathy has been updated to use gnome-session instead of gnome-screensaver to know when the session is idle.
- Benjamin Otte did some research on the GTK+ file chooser performance
(explained in a tale of waiting message in the
gtk-devel-list, be sure to also read the followup messages), and pushed a new “filesystemmodel” branch to publicize his work.
April 26, 2009
This week… 2205 commits, in 220 projects, by 230 happy hackers (and 267 were translation commits).
- Still in the aftermath of the Git migration, 189 commits were about DOAP files and JHBuild got his Git support quite improved.
- Empathy now displays the transfer speed in its file transfer dialog . (GNOME bug 580097)
- Meld has added support for SVK . (GNOME bug 416418)
- Epiphany was fixed to use GNOME settings for the default font sizes, instead of the WebKitGTK+ defaults.
- The libgnomeui dependency was removed from both the GStreamer Properties and the Media Profiles in gnome-media.
- Peter Bloomfield ported the Balsa mail client to use GMime 2.4.
- In evolution-data-server, Rob Branford ported libedata and libebook to D-Bus in the D-Bus branch, and Philip Withnall converted the Google calendar backend to use the external libgdata in the libgdata-port branch.
- David Zeuthen commited his GDBus work in a new gdbus branch of glib; and Dan Winship merged his GResolver (a glib-ish interface to DNS) branch into glib (and blogged about it ). (GNOME bug 548466)
- Nautilus now use g_timeout_add_seconds instead of g_timeout_add where appropriate (GNOME bug 574033); also Deprecated GTK+ symbols were removed . (GNOME bug 565038)
- Shaun McCance pushed his Mallard branch to the gnome-doc-utils repository.
- GNote, the Tomboy Gtkmm clone, got support for Add-ins . (GNOME bug 578980)