April 18, 2010
This week… 2112 commits, in 216 projects, by 243 happy hackers (and 431 were translation commits).
- The Hamster project got separated in client and d-bus service, and got a command line client (GNOME bug 602642).
- Behdad Esfahbod pushed a gnome-terminal branch with a find dialog to highlight search terms . (GNOME bug 78963).
- Much work happened in the asm-support branch of nemiver.
- This was the week of the gsettings hackfest, many changes landed in both glib and gconf modules, you should read the day 1 summary by Vincent Untz and overall summary by Matthias Clasen.
- During that hackfest baobab (in gnome-utils) has also been ported to gsettings, with explanative commit messages, and the devhelp branch has been updated for the API changes.
- There was also a GNOME Python hackfest and much work happened in pygobject and pygi, go read posts written by John Palmieri: day 0, day 1, day 2, and wrapup.
- Tadej Borovšak ported sound juicer to GtkBuilder, this was the last module using libglade, yeah.
- Torsten Schönfeld started adding GIO support to the Perl binding, via gobject-introspection.
- Support for application-indicators/StatusNotifierIcon has been added to the typing break applet in gnome-control-center (GNOME bug 606671)
- Evolution got a new foocanvas branch, getting rid of libgnomecanvas.
- A new SSH Hosts plugin written by Fabian Carlström has been added to kupfer.
- Joanmarie Diggs added improved support for Empathy in orca . (GNOME bug 589925)
April 11, 2010
This week… 2112 commits, in 176 projects, by 296 happy hackers (and 263 were translation commits).
- Martin Szulecki added detection of the ipad to gvfs AFC backend (GNOME bug 615039).
- Rhythmbox has been updated to use webkit to display HTML episode descriptions of podcasts . (GNOME bug 320507)
- Flickr authentication code has been unified in gthumb, removing duplicated code.
- In Rygel Andreas Henriksson added basic support for serving subtitles in Samsung custom DIDL-Lite and HTTP extensions . (GNOME bug 606305)
- The Totem Youtube plugin has been fixed to work again with latest youtube.com pages changes . (GNOME bug 614679)
- Tomas Bzatek changed the GTK+ file chooser so that it initializes search engines on demand . (GNOME bug 614971)
- Banshee for Meego saw another major panel UI overhaul, to reflect the latest Meego look and feel, and better organize some of the features.
- Ray Strode added support for relocatable .gnome2 directory to both gnome-games (GNOME bug 613634) and yelp (GNOME bug 614029), this is done via the GNOME22_USER_DIR environment variable.
- Joanmarie Diggs added to Orca support for the detection of mispelled words in OpenOffice.org . (GNOME bug 364772)
- libsoup has been updated with a fix for proxies that close the connection after returning a 407 error code (Proxy Authentication Required) on a CONNECT request.
- Florian Müllner added introspection support to gconf (GNOME bug 613247)
- Philip Withnall improved cancellation support in libgdata, it is now using libsoup message cancellation functionality, rather than checking for cancellation ourselves at arbitrary points during operations.
- GNOME Shell support for IM notifications has been moved to use Telepathy . (GNOME bug 608999)
November 15, 2009
This week… 1612 commits, in 180 projects, by 213 happy hackers (and 293 were translation commits).
- Banshee was migrated to the Last.fm 2.0 API . (GNOME bug 541227)
- A general search feature has been added to Rygel, including Tracker.
- The GtkNotebook widget got an “action area”, to be used for things like having a single close tab button to the right of all tabs. Johannes Schmid wrote about it in his weblog: GtkNotebook action widgets . (GNOME bug 116650)
- Totem gained an on-screen display when in fullscreen mode, Bastien Nocero announced it in A little OSD . (GNOME bug 600985)
- Simon van der Linden added the possibility to import wrappers from pygi to pygobject.
- The GNOME Shell got presence items added to the status menu . (GNOME bug 601458)
- Behdad Esfahbod reverted a commit to vte, as not clearing the alternate screen caused issues with less.
- Basic Mac OS X integration (menu, dock, bundle) has been pushed to gedit.
- Empathy was fixed to ask for password when joining a protected room (GNOME bug 579341)
- The View Properties dialog of Gnumeric was converted to be instant-apply.
- William Walker added provisional support for GNOME Shell magnifier service to Orca.
August 23, 2009
This week… 2565 commits, in 231 projects, by 273 happy hackers (and 652 were translation commits).
- Andoni Morales imported longomatch, a sports video analysis tool for coaches and sports scientists using Mono and GStreamer, into git.gnome.org.
- Empathy gained optional support for connman (as used in Moblin) to manage its connectivity status. Sjoerd Simons also pushed his branch porting Empathy to Mission Control 5, which improves the foundations of Empathy and makes integrating Telepathy with the desktop more practical.
- Zhang Sen finished his Summer of Code pushing a new collaborative mode to his sudoku over telepathy tubes.
- The Evolution Exchange autoconfig wizard has been ported to GtkAssistant, evolution-exchange is now libgnome(ui) free . (GNOME bug 580904)
- The “About Me” configuration window was ported to PolicyKit 1.0, to be honest this amounted to removing all traces of PolicyKit from the application.
- Orca got special casing for the no break space character since some synthesizers cannot handle them . (GNOME bug 591734)
- Daniel Elstner continued his work, cleaning the build process of many C++ bindings, and converted the examples in the gtkmm documentation to non-recursive build.
- Brian Cameron improved the documentation for a11y configuration of gdm . (GNOME bug 141378)
- In the Panel Vincent Untz fixed several issues related to multi monitor use cases.
July 26, 2009
This week… 1598 commits, in 174 projects, by 230 happy hackers (and 302 were translation commits).
- An example displaying geotagged photos from Flickr has been added to libchamplain.
- A “Share My Desktop” feature has been added to Empathy, it allows a contact to share his desktop over an IM stream . (GNOME bug 589091)
- The mousewheel action on Rhythmbox status icon has been made configurable, it can be made to switch to next/previous tracks, and to modify the audio volume . (GNOME bug 376863)
- Orca has been extended to prepend “mispelled” to the words marked as such in Mozilla text areas . (GNOME bug 588910)
- Anjuta Git support has been modified to show the active branch in the status bar, and to provide “git stash” features in the UI.
- gnome-power-manager removed the CanSuspend and CanHibernate D-Bus methods as there is now a patch available for gnome-session, to make it so it handles them directly via DeviceKit-power.
- Bastien Nocera added profile switching support to the volume control, and blogged about it.
- Zhang Sen, who is working on Telepathy Tubes support for the Sudoku game in his GSOC, added saving and undo/redo support.
- In another GSOC, to create a D-Bus mail service, Ian Marcinkowski commited his IMAP parser.
- GNote added a D-Bus interface mimicking the Tomboy one . (GNOME bug 581030)
- Eye of GNOME gained an option to have the detailed metadata list widget shown on its own notebook page in the properties dialog, so the dialog is smaller and fit on smaller displays . (GNOME bug 566810)
- Finally Matthew Barnes ported gnome-video-arcade from libglade to GtkBuilder, and Felix Riemann converted zenity . (GNOME bug 578393)
May 24, 2009
This week… 2349 commits, in 189 projects, by 255 happy hackers (and 298 were translation commits).
- John Carr published his syncml branch of conduit, adding SyncML support for contacts and calendar items.
- Gnumeric got support for more styles in its ODF export (cell, paragraph and text styles).
- Niepce Digital got an initial UI shell and basic gphoto support.
- krb5-auth-dialog added a gconf key to disable its notifications.
- f-spot date range dialog got ported from libglade to gtkbuilder; rhythmbox also replaced libglade by gtkbuilder.
- The graph component in goffice gained support for formatted editing of graph limits that are dates and times . (GNOME bug 574681)
- Evolution search bar got improved, to more closely resemble Firefox . (GNOME bug 580925)
- Rhythmbox status icon has been made into a plugin, with additional capabilities, some aspects of the status icon and the notification popups are now a bit more configurable.
- Willie Walker continued his numerous improvements to the speech generator in Orca, porting Pidgin, Gecko and Thunderbird to the new generator.
- In gnome-utils gsearchtool got rid of its libgnomeui usage . (GNOME bug 573670)
- Brasero gained the possibility to span data across several media . (GNOME bug 438858)
May 17, 2009
This week… 1925 commits, in 174 projects, by 218 happy hackers (and 183 were translation commits).
- libgnomekbd and gnome-power-manager have been converted from libglade to GTKBuilder.
- Vino got ported from libdbus to dbus-glib, as a first step towards integration with the Telepathy framework . (GNOME bug 580464)
- In GTK+ the GtkLabel gained the possibility to show hyperlinks, that feature was previously provided SexyUrlLabel . (GNOME bug 508810)
- Also in GTK+ a printing backend using PAPI, as found on OpenSolaris, has been added (to both master and 2.16 ) (GNOME bug 382676)
- Support for annotations landed in Evince, it requires libpoppler 0.11 (GNOME bug 315002)
- Empathy added a fullscreen mode for video playback . (GNOME bug 580771)
- Behdad Esfahbod merged his harfbuzz-ng branch into Pango.
- The Volume Control has been updated to show high-level channel mapping string for each devices, this gives pretty names such as “Surround 7.1” or “Stereo” ; (GNOME bug 581921).
- After a discussion on desktop-devel-list Robert Carr created a new gnome-js-common module, to share code and tests between Seed and GJS.
- In Seed a new module to bind Cairo has been developed.
- Alexander Larsson imported gnio (socket and networking support) into glib.
- Much work happened (and is still ongoing) in Orca to refactor the speech and braille generators . (GNOME bug 570658)
March 1, 2009
This week… 1904 commits, in 187 projects, by 204 happy hackers (and 641 were translation commits).
- British English is the first language to reach 100%, there is now eight languages with over 99% of the UI strings translated, sixteen with over 95%, and 39 over the 80% mark (used to be listed in the release notes).
- There are three new modules in Subversion this week: Gnome Format, a GNOME media formatter, developed by Michael Kanis, gpointing-device-settings, a program for touchpad and trackpad settings, developed by Hiroyuki Ikezoe, and gio-strigi, a GIO wrapper for Strigi, developed by Philip Van Hoof.
- Davyd Madeley started preparing the stage for the 2.26 release notes.
- Following on last week work, Alexander Larsson worked on trusted desktop file launchers in Nautilus.
- Rhythmbox got a D-Bus interface for adding and removing DAAP shares . (GNOME bug 570115)
- GParted added detection of the BRTFS file system.
- David Zeuthen added a –device option to gvfs-mount.
- Support for taking a screenshot of an user-defined selection landed in gnome-screenshot . (GNOME bug 155061, opened in October 2004)
- Lucas Rocha merged his session-saving branch into gnome-session trunk.
- Epiphany (webkit) started using SoupProxyResolverGNOME, so it gets support for GNOME proxy settings through libproxy.
- Bastien Nocera announced the fork of bluez-gnome that is now available in gnome-bluetooth.
- Orca got support for notify-osd (the new Ubuntu notification daemon).