August 2, 2009
This week… 2195 commits, in 186 projects, by 288 happy hackers (and 328 were translation commits).
- Now that gnome-doc-utils and yelp both have support for Mallard documents, Milo Casagrande converted gnome-hello documentation to the new format.
- After some discussion on the gnomecc list the default toolbar style has been changed to “Text beside items”.
- Sabayon was changed to use Xephyr instead of Xnest, as Xephyr supports the “new” X extensions.
- gnome-session has been fixed to not exit when the system bus restarts . (GNOME bug 583345)
- A new “ssh” plugin appeared in vinagre, which is becoming a universal tool to access remote systems.
- Robin Stocker added to Totem the functionality to remember the current position of a stream when pausing or closing . (GNOME bug 164918)
- After Hylke Bons posted some thoughts on the font viewer Thomas Wood started implementing the proposed ideas, in the “font-viewer-revamp” branch of the GNOME Control Center.
- Anjuta Git plugin gained an option to initialize new repositories . (GNOME bug 566698)
- Finally, during this 10th week of the summer of code, students were hard at work, some noticeable advancements:
- Paul A. Bellamy successfully implemented syncing and a properties dialog for MTP devices in Rhythmbox;
- Neil Loknath added streaming to Banshee using Telepathy, you can now stream a contact’s music after downloading their library info;
- Paulo Cabido merged the plugin engine with Getting Things Gnome main development branch.
July 5, 2009
This week… 1811 commits, in 184 projects, by 224 happy hackers (and 268 were translation commits).
- The Client Side Windows branch has been merged into GTK+, Alexander Larsson posted a status update on gtk-devel-list . (GNOME bug 318807)
- Cheese dropped its copy of GEditMessageArea in favour of the new GtkInfoBar that was introduced in 2.17.2 . (GNOME bug 586545)
- When there’s a DVD menu showing in Totem, it’s now possible to use the arrow keys to navigate around, and the Enter key to select (GNOME bug 580351).
- Snowy (the Tomboy companion web service) added OAuth endpoints, and the requirement for OAuth for accessing api/* URLs.
- Richard Hughes removed the HAL dependency of gnome-power-manager, making everything going through DeviceKit; he blogged it as HALectomy of gnome-power-manager complete.
- Gustavo Noronha Silva merged his content sniffing work in libsoup, the implementation is based on the draft spec on Content-Type Processing Model. Soup now provides a SoupContentSniffer session feature, which hooks into the message I/O, and delays emissions of the got-chunk signal to be able to figure out the Content-Type of messages from the actual content received, in some cases. GIO is also used to sniff content, whenever the spec allows further sniffing .(GNOME bug 572589)
April 5, 2009
This week… 1520 commits, in 164 projects, by 160 happy hackers (and 180 were translation commits).
- GTK+ and glib switched to git.gnome.org; so Alexander Larsson sent in his client-side-windows branch; in the meantime Dan Winship published a glib branch adding GResolver, a glib-ish interface to DNS.
- Gerd Kohlberger migrated gok to libcanberra; it was the last module using esound.
- Anjuta git plugin got checkout support; and the project import wizard has been replaced by a simpler dialog that allows to import directly from a version control system.
- A patch by Simon van der Linden got commited to gnome-terminal, adding a “Leave Fullscreen” menu item (GNOME bug 566335).
- Totem switched from bacon-message-connection to libunique (GNOME bug 162822), also a new D-Bus Service plugin (GNOME bug 576016) and the YouTube plugin was ported to C, using the new libgdata library.
- Matthew Barnes continues his hard work removing bonobo usage from evolution, he finished attachment dragndrop in the composer window.
- Evince fading animations got fixed (the next page was displayed before animation started).
- Empathy was fixed so IRC commands without special support are no longer sent as plaintext . (GNOME bug 577026).
- Rhythmbox improved his support for MTP devices; it now creates album objects on the device when transferring songs, and sends the album art to the device if it supports the JPEG file type.
March 29, 2009
This week… 1396 commits, in 196 projects, by 161 happy hackers (and 354 were translation commits).
- Vincent Untz commited his changes to session management (GNOME bug 552387).
- gnome-disk-utility has been ported to the new DeviceKit-disks, that uses libatasmart.
- Rhythmbox switched to using GStreamer decodebin2 instead of decodebin, that fixed playback of chained ogg streams.
- Brasero split into backend (libbrasero-burn) and application was finished, the new library API now needs to be refined.
- gpointing-device-settings got support for tap move and palm detection.
- Sebastian Dröge started porting totem GStreamer backend to playbin2 . (GNOME bug 542663)
- gnome-bluetooth device chooser saw some merging of device types into categories (mice and keyboard in “input devices”, headphones, headsets and others in “audio devices”…), making easier to find a select devices.
- libchamplain added a way to make visible a bunch of markers (GNOME bug 574809) and smooth movement to a new position (GNOME bug 557641).
- Anjal saw many changes, such as working Delete/Junk, a formatting toolbar, and the possibility to open mails in new tabs.
January 18, 2009
This week… 1452 commits, in 161 projects, by 186 happy hackers (and 261 were translation commits).
- A Brasero plugin has been added to Totem, to allow creating VCDs from playing video files, and duplicate VCDs and DVDs (GNOME bug 565383).
- Hand-written gir files (GL, cairo, fontconfig, freetype, libxml2, xfixes, xft and xlib) were moved from gir-repository into gobject-introspection; so upstream libraries depending on these can avoid a gir-repository dependency.
- Diego Escalante Urrelo turned the already awesome epiphany location bar into the woohoo bar (enhancing the completion popup by showing a two line cell containing the favicon, the title of the page and the URL ). (GNOME bug 541782)
- gnome-session got a D-Bus Presence API, and the user switch applet got updated to use it.
- There were lots of updates to brasero to address issues raised during discussion on desktop-devel-list.
- gnome-network-preferences has been renamed to gnome-network-properties
- Evolution added the possibility to import PST files (Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders ). (GNOME bug 208426)
- GTK+ got a new API to change global input method . (GNOME bug 450716)
- Bastien Nocera replaced some custom code in gnome-user-share, and a direct Avahi dependency, by using the mod_dnssd Apache module . (GNOME bug 567442).
- Finally, Meld and the trash applet both removed their libgnome dependency.
December 14, 2008
This week… 1123 commits, in 144 projects, by 154 happy hackers (and 120 were translation commits).
- Ted Gould posted about gtk_timeout_add_seconds and a few modules (anjuta, ekiga, totem, libbonobo, libegg, brasero) already got fixes.
- Niepce Digital got imported in subversion repository.
- Xan Lopez added support for the WebKit web inspector in Epiphany (and Robert Carr did the same thing for seed minibrowser).
- Vincent Untz got back hacking on gnome-panel, removal of libgnomeui and deprecated API usage, single include, bug fixes and stuff.
- vino added correct support for IPv4 mapped IPv6, and added a new feature to able to set the network interface to listen on (GNOME bug 403183).
- gvfs got a new trash backend written by Ryan Lortie.
- Nautilus gained the possibility to call PackageKit to install applications for for unsupported mime types.
- German Poo-Caamano gave some love to gnome-nettool (portability fixes, better accessibility support, and other fixes and enhancements).
- gtkhtml got improved smileys (toolbar to insert them, obedience to the icon naming specification; screenshots are available in GNOME bug 563841.
- Also, Przemysław Grzegorczyk wrote a lot of patches to clean up GLib and GTK+ includes, see GNOME bug 563413. This earned him a Subversion account.
December 7, 2008
This week… 1282 commits, in 164 projects, by 171 happy hackers (and 156 were translation commits).
- Totem got a new Jamendo plugin in totem, a patch from David Jean Louis (GNOME bug 561811) (a screenshot is posted below).
- Empathy lost its libgnomeui dependency and evince dropped its libglade one.
- gtk-doc now highlights deprecation warnings, and they are now also supported in signals and properties (GNOME bug 562655).
- glib added functions for shadowed mounts (a mount is said to be shadowed if there exists one or more user visible objects (currently GMount objects) with a root that is inside the root of mount.) and nautilus started using them.
- Behdad Esfahbod continued his vte cleaning.
- Dan Winship moved Luxembourg (city) out of Belgium (GNOME bug #562772).
- anjuta devhelp plugin got updated to devhelp/webkit (GNOME bug #560311) and got a button to access online API help (library.gnome.org)
- Federico Mena Quintero added support to use libnotify for errors displayed by gnome-settings-daemon xrandr module
- GTK+ (trunk) got a method to draw progress in a GtkEntry (GNOME bug 546285), this was prompted by Epiphany developers wondering about a progress-in-location-bar idea.
October 12, 2008
This week… 1495 commits, in 194 projects, by 193 happy hackers (and 284 were translation commits).