March 29, 2009
This week… 1396 commits, in 196 projects, by 161 happy hackers (and 354 were translation commits).
- Vincent Untz commited his changes to session management (GNOME bug 552387).
- gnome-disk-utility has been ported to the new DeviceKit-disks, that uses libatasmart.
- Rhythmbox switched to using GStreamer decodebin2 instead of decodebin, that fixed playback of chained ogg streams.
- Brasero split into backend (libbrasero-burn) and application was finished, the new library API now needs to be refined.
- gpointing-device-settings got support for tap move and palm detection.
- Sebastian Dröge started porting totem GStreamer backend to playbin2 . (GNOME bug 542663)
- gnome-bluetooth device chooser saw some merging of device types into categories (mice and keyboard in “input devices”, headphones, headsets and others in “audio devices”…), making easier to find a select devices.
- libchamplain added a way to make visible a bunch of markers (GNOME bug 574809) and smooth movement to a new position (GNOME bug 557641).
- Anjal saw many changes, such as working Delete/Junk, a formatting toolbar, and the possibility to open mails in new tabs.
March 22, 2009
This week… 2594 commits, in 269 projects, by 223 happy hackers (and 993 were translation commits).
- 2.26 got released on Wednesday, and translators worked hard, a special mention for the Maithili and Assamese teams, that improved their percentages by near 20 points.
- An initial backend support for GDB Variable Objects landed in Nemiver.
- Philippe Rouquier started splitting brasero between backend and application.
- The Mini-Commander applet got support for https URL . (GNOME bug 575782)
- Cosimo Cecchi fixed nautilus to spawn its windows on the correct screen, instead of always using the default one . (GNOME bug 555078)
- Epiphany got support for translucent link-message statusbar, ‘Inspired’ from Chrome, will show the link-message in a translucent floating div on the bottom left corner of the web view if the normal statusbar is hidden.
- Cody Russel improved the GTK+ menu theming on Win32, using the new menu styling API, it makes GTK+ looks much better on Windows Vista . (GNOME bug 538840)
- Rhythmbox will now use the new GtkEntry API for the “clear” icon in its search entry, rather than libsexy’s SexyIconEntry; also GnomeHRef usage has been replaced with GtkLinkButton, that removes the libgnome dependency.
- Also the Rhythmbox Jamendo XML parser got rewritten to create database entries in a single pass, rather than creating an intermediate structure and converting that to database entries. This speeds up catalogue loading and reduces memory consumption . (GNOME bug 424423)
- Rygel got transcoding support, from any format (that GStreamer can handle) to
mp3, LPCM and mpeg transport stream.
- In the Murrine GTK+ engine Andrea Cimitan removed shadows from comboboxentry’s button and welcomes any feedback on this.
- Finally two new modules in Subversion this week: Jordi Mas imported Mistelixa, a DVD authoring tool, and Krzesimir Nowak imported libvtemm, C++ bindings to libvte.
March 15, 2009
This week… 2312 commits, in 240 projects, by 194 happy hackers (and 1253 were translation commits).
- Hard code freeze started this week, things settle down and translators are hard at task, there is now 8 languages at 100% and 44 languages over the 80% mark. The Oriya team is again leading the progress show with a mind-boggling increase of 17 points (that is almost 7500 strings!), it is now at 77%; other particulary noteworthy teams are Malayalam (+11 points), Hindi (+10), Telugu and Tamil (+8), Greek and Assamese (+7).
- A major discussion happened in gtk-devel-list over fsync in glib/gio, led by Alexander Larsson with a patch to gio making sure fsync() is called and adding a new G_FILE_CREATE_ASYNC_WRITE flag. A patch to call fsync() was also applied to gedit.
- Epiphany trunk is again preparing a WebKit future with profile migration from the old Mozilla backends (both SQLite and txt formats).
- To perfectly match nautilus-cd-burner, Brasero added a CD/DVD Creator entry to the System Tools menu, to start up a Nautilus window in burn :// (GNOME bug 573790)
- Dan Winship seriously improved libsoup documentation.
- Rhythmbox got a new CD burning plugin, using brasero, that is now built in preference to the nautilus-cd-burner plugin . (GNOME bug 536732)
- Andrea Cimitan updated his Murrine theme to support the “progress bar in entry” that is new in GTK+ 2.16.
- Ray Strode disabled the user presence stuff from gdm for now until some of the pieces that make it useful get fleshed out.
- Finally Vincent Untz spent much time to fix session saving for 2.26, be sure to test the patch now attached to GNOME bug 552387.
February 1, 2009
This week… 1687 commits, in 167 projects, by 184 happy hackers (and 391 were translation commits).
- In Conduit, John Stowers added a new dataprovider that changes the desktop wallpaper, and suggests connecting to a flickr RSS feed…
- Sound Juicer media support has been ported from libnautilusburn to libbrasero-media . (GNOME bug 567286)
- After much testing Behdad Esfahbod removed the ClassDef->Defined field in Pango, and the associated special-handling code; he wrote “The special-casing was consuming lots of memory. EIGHT MEGABYTES for loading DejaVu Sans! While this could be complete fixed, I decided to remove the special-handling code altogether. I don’t think it will make any real difference, and if it does, we’ll fix fonts.”; in another commit he also saved over 2000 alloc calls when loading DejaVu Sans.
- Deskbar got an OpenSearch module . (GNOME bug 528184)
- Cosimo Cecchi implemented write support for the ObexFTP gvfs backend . (GNOME bug 519071)
- Following libnotify acceptance as an external dependency, Empathy got support and will now show a popup notification when receiving a new message.
- Ryan Lortie added _async functions for GDataInputStream (async versions of read_line and read_until ). (GNOME bug 568575)
- file-roller got ported to use gtkbuilder instead of libglade.
- A good bunch of memory leaks were fixed in brasero.
- The Volume Control balance widget got updated to use the new GTK+ scale marks.
- Banshee got a basic clutter UI for rendering the video texture from the clutter sink in the media pipeline.
- Theppitak Karoonboonyanan went on building modules out of their source trees and filed bugs and patches against those failing, many of those issues are already fixed (in gnome-settings-daemon, Ekiga, Brasero and gnome-keyring).
- Callum McKenzie finally killed the last bit of libgnome in gnome-applets; and returned the mixer applet.
- Long standing GTK+ bug (lastly spotted in a post on Planet Gnome by Ruben Vermeersch) got nailed with a patch from Simos Xenitellis . (GNOME bug 162726)
- Rhythmbox improved its handling of transcoding format selection for MTP devices, now preferring MP3 over M4A/AAC . (GNOME bug 567524)
- Pavel Kostyuchenko work on Anjuta/Glade3 integration (part of GSoC, see project his proposal) finally got commited . (GNOME bug 542412)
January 18, 2009
This week… 1452 commits, in 161 projects, by 186 happy hackers (and 261 were translation commits).
- A Brasero plugin has been added to Totem, to allow creating VCDs from playing video files, and duplicate VCDs and DVDs (GNOME bug 565383).
- Hand-written gir files (GL, cairo, fontconfig, freetype, libxml2, xfixes, xft and xlib) were moved from gir-repository into gobject-introspection; so upstream libraries depending on these can avoid a gir-repository dependency.
- Diego Escalante Urrelo turned the already awesome epiphany location bar into the woohoo bar (enhancing the completion popup by showing a two line cell containing the favicon, the title of the page and the URL ). (GNOME bug 541782)
- gnome-session got a D-Bus Presence API, and the user switch applet got updated to use it.
- There were lots of updates to brasero to address issues raised during discussion on desktop-devel-list.
- gnome-network-preferences has been renamed to gnome-network-properties
- Evolution added the possibility to import PST files (Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders ). (GNOME bug 208426)
- GTK+ got a new API to change global input method . (GNOME bug 450716)
- Bastien Nocera replaced some custom code in gnome-user-share, and a direct Avahi dependency, by using the mod_dnssd Apache module . (GNOME bug 567442).
- Finally, Meld and the trash applet both removed their libgnome dependency.
January 11, 2009
This week… 1992 commits, in 182 projects, by 186 happy hackers (and 349 were translation commits).
- Lucas Rocha set his eyes on gnome-session, and started fixing bugs introduced in the 2.24 rewrite.
- A library, libbrasero-media, got extracted out of brasero, Philippe Rouquier tells more about it on desktop-devel-list.
- Lightsoff, which was started as an example shipped in the Seed module, has been imported in gnome-games.
- File Roller and Eye of GNOME removed their dependencies and libgnome and libgnomeui; and Anjuta removed its dependency on gnomevfs.
- GVFS got its SMB browsing authentication support much improved (GNOME bug 524485).
- Cosimo Cecchi added sound events support in Empathy (via libcanberra).
- In gnome-keyring-daemon, the new modular SSH agent has been integrated as the main SSH agent.
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro added a new fullscreen mode to gedit, with a sliding toolbar . (GNOME bug 520749)
- A new plugin was added to nautilus-sendto, to send files over IM via Empathy.
December 14, 2008
This week… 1123 commits, in 144 projects, by 154 happy hackers (and 120 were translation commits).
- Ted Gould posted about gtk_timeout_add_seconds and a few modules (anjuta, ekiga, totem, libbonobo, libegg, brasero) already got fixes.
- Niepce Digital got imported in subversion repository.
- Xan Lopez added support for the WebKit web inspector in Epiphany (and Robert Carr did the same thing for seed minibrowser).
- Vincent Untz got back hacking on gnome-panel, removal of libgnomeui and deprecated API usage, single include, bug fixes and stuff.
- vino added correct support for IPv4 mapped IPv6, and added a new feature to able to set the network interface to listen on (GNOME bug 403183).
- gvfs got a new trash backend written by Ryan Lortie.
- Nautilus gained the possibility to call PackageKit to install applications for for unsupported mime types.
- German Poo-Caamano gave some love to gnome-nettool (portability fixes, better accessibility support, and other fixes and enhancements).
- gtkhtml got improved smileys (toolbar to insert them, obedience to the icon naming specification; screenshots are available in GNOME bug 563841.
- Also, Przemysław Grzegorczyk wrote a lot of patches to clean up GLib and GTK+ includes, see GNOME bug 563413. This earned him a Subversion account.
November 9, 2008
This week… 1590 commits, in 166 projects, by 183 happy hackers (and 153 were translation commits).
- Many modules saw development releases for 2.25.1.
- The libgnome dependency got removed from gnome-power-manager, and gnome-utils (dictionary, screenshot, logview) removed it as well as the dependency on libgnomeui.
- In the same vain, seahorse-plugins removed its gnome-vfs dependency.
- William Jon McCann commited a new volume control using PulseAudio, deprecating the old gst-mixer one.
- Behdad Esfahbod worked quite a bit on gnome-settings-daemon and blogged about the improved login time he achieved.
- Benjamin Berg added a Clearlookstest theme, as he proposed on desktop-devel-list several weeks ago, it is not enabled by default though.
- brasero got a nautilus extension, based on current nautilus-cd-burner.
- John Carr commited support for git mirrors to jhbuild (support for bzr mirrors coming soon).
November 2, 2008
This week… 1368 commits, in 151 projects, by 171 happy hackers (and 155 were translation commits).
Gimp merged the Google Summer of Code project of Daniel Eddeland that added on-canvas text-editing. Rhythmbox gaired a new iPod properties dialog (with disk usage and such stuff). NetworkManager code was cleaned up adding and using accessors to various settings. Libgnome/ui got killed this week in libgames-support (and that finally makes gnome-games libgnome free) (by Thomas H.P. Andersen), goffice (by Jean Brefort) and gnome-settings-daemon (by Jens Granseuer). Brasero has been proposed for inclusion in 2.26 and continues to see a steady flow of bug fixes. Owen Taylor commited a little bit of gnome-shell code into Subversion and posted some notes. Zeeshan Ali moved gnome-media-server to Subversion under a new name, Rygel.