March 13, 2011
This week… 2634 commits, in 197 projects, by 272 happy hackers (and 670 were translation commits).
- Andrew McGrath added support for plain text exportation in ocrfeeder.
- Robert Ancell updated dconf-editor to show the key range in key descriptions.
- Based on a patch from Mark Starovoytov Dan Winship fixed libsoup to catch overflows when parsing very distant expiration dates in cookies . (GNOME bug 643462)
- John Stowers added a user-theme extension to the gnome-shell-extensions repository . (GNOME bug 644271)
- Ray Strode made it so that gdm runs the gnome-session acceleration helper script, to preload the GL stack and figure out ahead of time whether or not gnome shell can run on the system.
- Marek Kasik updated the printers plugin of gnome-settings-daemon to show notifications for selected printer state changes (things liek “tuner low”).
- Jakub Steiner worked on the Cantarell font, fixing all ~ accented glyphs . (GNOME bug 642396)
- Steve Frécinaux enabled Python support for eog plugins . (GNOME bug 639597)
- Martin Robinson made the serif font the default web font of Epiphany, to match the behaviour of other browsers . (GNOME bug 644523)
- GObject Introspection support as been added to libcheese by Luciana Fujii Pontello.
- Dan Winship changed gnome-shell to use the new libmutter-wm library, to build a real gnome-shell binary (GNOME bug 641724)
- Bastien Nocera added some code to reorder date widgets in the date/time panel, to be based on the locale’s date format, rather than only supporting the US-centric version . (GNOME bug 636896)
- And William Jon McCann ripped GNOME Screensaver of its theme and job support.
February 6, 2011
This week… 2281 commits, in 185 projects, by 262 happy hackers (and 364 were translation commits).
- Felix Riemann converted postr to use libpeas as plugin system.
- Francesco Marella migrated phonemgr from libglade to GtkBuilder . (GNOME bug 590816)
- Sergey V. Udaltsov added a gkbd-keyboard-display utility to libgnomekbd, to be used by gnome-shell and gnome-control-center to display keyboard layouts.
- Jonathan Matthew ported the Python plugins of Rhythmbox to gobject introspection.
- GDM was switched by Ray Strode to use accounts service for language and session.
- Cosimo Cecchi added a notification to Nautilus, when all transfer are completed.
- Unlock buttons have been added to both datetime and printers control center panels.
- David Zeuthen landed his work implementing the new calendar menu of GNOME Shell; he showed the result in GNOME 3 Calendar . (GNOME bug 632109)
- In Meld Kai Willadsen reworked directory-level file comparison, the new version features somewhat simpler logic, progressive file reading, binary file filter handling and provides earlier exit in no-filter cases . (GNOME bug 586656)
- The port of GNOME Panel to GTK+ 3 has been merged.
- Benjamin Otte rewrote the event handling of the area selection of gnome-screenshot.
- Christian Schaller changed the UI of Transmageddon to a combobox bases setup instead of radiobuttons, this to both shrink UI and allow for support of multiple audio streams; this makes a new look for Transmageddon.
January 9, 2011
This week… 1791 commits, in 173 projects, by 211 happy hackers (and 356 were translation commits).
- Cristian Klein patched vte to prevent useless wakeups when the terminal doesn’t have focus, disabling the cursor blink timer when the cursor is hidden.
- Florian Müllner added two new frame states to mutter to allow theme authors to tread side-by-side windows differently . (GNOME bug 637330)
- Lucas Rocha started adding a “Sound Thing” to the board.
- Shaun McCance modified yelp to automatically install packages for missing documents.
- In Meld Kirill Müller sped up SVN listing for huge working copies . (GNOME bug 638607)
- Vivien Malerba added initial support for rich text rendering in libgda reports.
- Jon McCann changed gsettings-desktop-schema to no longer have icons on the desktop by default.
- Adel Gadllah implemented cross overview drag & drop in GNOME Shell, allowing draging to the activities button or the hotcorner (and thus opening the overview), which then allows the user to activate any window (even on different workspaces as a drop target . (GNOME bug 601731)
- Jose Aliste fixed several security issues in the DVI backend of Evince.
- The eog plugins system has been ported to use libpeas, and plugins were updated accordingly . (GNOME bug 626091)
- gitg has been ported to use gsettings by Ignacio Casal Quinteiro.
- Paolo Bacchilega re-added the semi-transparent properties box in gthumb fullscreen mode.
- Gary Lin scaled down the GTK+ print dialog size, to make it fit on a typical netbook screen . (GNOME bug 637958)
- Jonathan Matthew fixed the podcast status on download completion in Rhythmbox, this should make it possible to complete downloads that fail due to connection errors and the like . (GNOME bug 633469)
- Robert Ancell worked on the glChess vala rewrite, starting work on a chess clock, and adding back 3D board numbering.
October 24, 2010
This week… 2246 commits, in 200 projects, by 225 happy hackers (and 297 were translation commits).
- Colin Walters worked on porting gjs to xulrunner 2, including a port to use fast constructors.
- Rodrigo Moya migrated many control center settings (accessibility, mouse and touchpad) to GSettings.
- A “Remove attachments” command has been added to Evolution by Rex Tsai (GNOME bug 534453)
- Brtfs has been made a normal part of gparted, it is no longer necessary to use the –enable-brtfs option.
- A volume indicator has been added to GNOME Shell by Giovanni Campagna . (GNOME bug 629455)
- Vitaly Minko added a new popup menu item in the Empathy chat window allowing to add words to dictionaries . (GNOME bug 550775).
- Felix Riemann made “best fit” a toggle action in Eog, making it clear from the toolbar when the image will be rescaled with the window and when not . (GNOME bug 616890)
- Tadej Borovšak added a GtkScollable interface to GTK+, and several modules (Nautilus, GNOME Control Center, gtksourceview, and gedit) have already been adapted to use it.
- Also in GTK+ Matthias Clasen added a new GtkGrid widget, similar to GtkTable but without the legacy properties and unncessary restrictions.
- GNOME Settings Daemon got a bridge plugin, listening to GSettings changes and propagating them to GConf.
October 10, 2010
This week… 1988 commits, in 187 projects, by 228 happy hackers (and 349 were translation commits).
- Too many modules to list were ported to use upstream gettext instead of the glib version, and to GTK+ 3, be it complete ports or updates to match recent changes.
- William Jon McCann added a “persistence” server capability to notification-daemon, and the corresponding support in libnotify; this will allow clients to determine if the server will only show transient notifications or has notification persistence. If the server supports persistence then the client should not perform its own message persistence (for example by showing a status icon).
- Hans Breuer fixed the saving of some display settings (antialiasing, snap-to-object…) in Dia . (GNOME bug 155929)
- Meld was modified to use Myers matcher for inline differences (part of GNOME bug 587410).
- An “Edit Image” toolbar button hs been added to eog, conditionnally enabled if a specific image editor is specified in GSettings . (GNOME bug 609958)
- Florian Müllner published an “overview-relayout” branch of GNOME Shell, inaugurating his blog with a From the land of Shell post.
- Sanford Armstrong ported the note XML to HTML transformation that happens in Snowy to the lxml library (GNOME bug 631189).
- In Brasero Philippe Rouquier added a new check for the volume free space when creating an image.
- The control panel of GNOME Color Manager has been split into four tabs to reduce the window height.
- Thomas Wood started implementing new UI designs from Jakup Steiner and Hylke Bons for the datetime configuration panel.
- The “ui-widgets” branch has been merged into gnome-keyring, Stef Walter posted about it in Certificate and Key Widgets.
- Luca Bruno started adding Brtfs-handling modules to gparted.
- In glib Ryan Lortie added GSettings APIs for range and choices . (GNOME bug 631263)
- And in GTK+ Cody Russell added resize grips to GtkWindow, and Matthias Clasen also posted about it in Getting a grip.
September 19, 2010
This week… 2375 commits, in 198 projects, by 264 happy hackers (and 599 were translation commits).
- Rupert Swarbrick added paragraph support in the parsing of .info files in Yelp.
- Florian Müllner implemented side-by-side tiling in Mutter; when dragging a window over a screen edge and dropping it there, maximize it vertically and scale it horizontally to cover the corresponding half of the current monitor; this has been enabled by default in GNOME Shell (GNOME bug 606260)
- Eog has been modified to ask the user whether to reload externally modified images . (GNOME bug 534348)
- Alexey Fisher added two optional video filters to Empathy for video chat support, for both limiting the maximal framerate of webcams, and reducing video noise . (GNOME bug 628789, GNOME bug 628786)
- Pdfmod gained zoom slider/buttons, by Gabriel Burt (GNOME bug 614378, GNOME bug 628437)
- Hans Breuer improved UML objects in Dia, allowing them all to have their line width, font, and font size changed by the user . (GNOME bug 86238)
- Image loading performances in GThumb have been optimized.
- The Evolution calendar got some new neat (and meaningful) animations, in the clutter-calendar-v2 branch.
- Giovanni Campagna added an Universal Access status indicator to GNOME Shell; it allows the user to change rapidly the keyboard and mouse behaviour (sticky keys, slow keys, bounce keys, mouse keys), as well as the enabled ATs (magnifier, screen reader, screen keyboard) and the HighContrast Gtk theme.
- The “wcf” branch of Blam has been merged, adding usage of System.ServiceModel.Syndication instead of the RSSFeed and AtomFeed libraries . (GNOME bug 550803)
- In GTK+ Havoc Pennington added margin and alignment properties to GtkWidget.
August 1, 2010
This week… 1817 commits, in 202 projects, by 221 happy hackers (and 396 were translation commits).
- In the ongoing transitions emerillon has been ported to GSettings, while evolution, evolution-data-server, and brasero have been ported to GDBus (GNOME bug 622884 and others).
- Also glibmm gained a wrapper for GApplication, and gtkmm another one for GtkApplication.
- Mike Gorse added thread safety around main loop invocations in PyGTK.
- Eye of GNOME got a settings conversion file, to migrate configuration from GConf to GSettings.
- Jonh Wendell ported Vinagre to use libpeas for its plugins.
- And a basic support for plugin dependencies has been added to libpeas.
- Cheese effect preview elements have been changed to be constructed on-demand, rather than at startup, which has a great effect on startup performance.
- Matthias Clasen improved a lot the coverage of unit tests in GLib.
- Michael Natterer started porting various bits of Gimp from drawing with GDK to drawing with Cairo.
- Paolo Borelli made a first cut at a fonts panel for gnome control center 3.0, at the moment a straight port of the fonts tab of the current appearance preferences dialog.
- In Gnumeric Jean Brefort added support for importing old Guppi graphs from gnumeric 1.0 files.
- Nate Stedman added support for shapes and backgrounds to Ease.
- In Vala Michael Terry added support for the new bytestring GVariant (GNOME bug 624986)
- Last but not least Cosimo Cecchi removed the backgrounds/emblems feature in Nautilus.
- As for GSoC students, many were at GUADEC and you should really watch the recorded GSoC lightning talks session once it’s made available…
July 25, 2010
This week… 2276 commits, in 205 projects, by 233 happy hackers (and 504 were translation commits).
- Handling of contacts in Empathy has been switched to use libfolks, this will enable future enhanchements, such as support for metacontacts . (GNOME bug 623714)
- Carlos Garcia Campos ported the byzanz applet to use the new D-Bus based panel applet library.
- Gtk-vnc has switched over to use GIO for socket connections and DNS resolution.
- Giovanni Campagna contributed a base API for system status indicators in GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 621705)
- James Liggett implemented a tags pane in the Anjuta git plugin.
- In the ongoing transitions, Nautilus has been ported to GSettings, Eog has been switched to GTK+ 3, and accounts-dialog is being ported to gdbus.
- Preliminary support for adding new annotations (at the moment only Text annotations are supported) has been added to Evince . (GNOME bug 168304)
- Toms Bauģis changed hamster search to use SQLite full text search.
- David Pellicer contributed a few more keyboard layouts to Caribou.
- The function name completion tooltips used in Gnumeric have been improved by Andreas J. Guelzow.
- Evolution-rss default renderer has been switched to be WebKit.
- Nate Stedman merged his branch adding suport for themes in Ease.
- Benjamin Otte continued stripping GTK+ of old GDK drawing functions and classes (GdkPangoRenderer, GdkGC…).
- Richard Hughes split off a new libcolor-glib library out of gnome-color-manager.
- Totem youtube plugin has been updated to work after the latest Youtube page format changes.
- In GSOC land Jamie Nicol has added to Rhythmbox the possibility to scrobble to both Last.fm and Libre.fm, Michal Hruby ported zeitgeist-datahub to Vala, Karlo Jež added a hover menu for quick task manipulation in Getting Things GNOME, and more…
April 25, 2010
This week… 1978 commits, in 233 projects, by 242 happy hackers (and 492 were translation commits).
- Support for animated images (GNOME bug 335093) and scaling of SVG images (GNOME bug 108435) have been added to eog.
- Many patches from Quentin Sculo have been applied to perl-Gtk2, bringing support for new widgets and methods the GTK+ Perl binding.
- Much work continued to happen with regards to gsettings, Matthias Clasen for example added gsettings-tools, a command line tool equivalent to gconftool . (GNOME bug 616313)
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro created a gsettings branch to hold the port of gedit to GSettings.
- In the same vein, Bastien Nocera ported gnome-bluetooth, and Milan Bouchet-Valat ported gnome-system-tools, and Shaun McCance ported yelp.
- Ray Strode added a smartcard plugin to gnome-settings-daemon, it listens for smartcard insertion and removal events and then locks the screen or forces a log out (depending on gconf) when the card used for login is removed.
- Lucien Langa added correct handling of the RSS media extension to evolution-rss, making it possible to download enclosures.
- Łukasz Jernaś started writing the Giggle documentation using Mallard.
- Jean Brefort implemented graph only sheets into Gnumeric . (GNOME bug 158170)
February 7, 2010
This week… 1643 commits, in 181 projects, by 231 happy hackers (and 348 were translation commits).
- Quinten Lansu provided a patch for Eye of GNOME to make it possible to select a random image from the collection.
- Banshee dropped both his glade and libgnome (well, gnome-sharp) dependencies . (GNOME bug 589705 and GNOME bug 587320)
- David Zeuthen implemented Expansion for Linux’s MD RAID, there are even screenshots.
- Vinagre got the necessary support to specify an username for SSH connections . (GNOME bug 603736)
- Thanks to Jorge Silva a spanish keyboard layout got added to Caribou, the new onscreen keyboard (GNOME bug 608744)
- Accounts-dialog got a better password strength indicator.
- GNOME-PackageKit got support for the InstallPrinterDrivers command.
- The GVariant serialiser has been merged into glib.
- Kupfer gained the possibility to load plugins at runtime.
- In Nanny Cesar Garcia Tapia added a new dialog to update custom filters, and support for packaged filters configurations.