November 28, 2010
This week… 2827 commits, in 163 projects, by 220 happy hackers (and 223 were translation commits).
- Cosimo Cecchi started porting the “removable media” preferences tab of Nautilus to be a new control center panel.
- A limit to the number of times gnome-session will try to restart an application has been added by Jon McCann; it’s still missing the display of en error dialog when such a situation happens . (GNOME bug 634762)
- Johannes Schmid added a new code analyser plugin to Anjuta, it uses clang and the results are displayed in the message pane like compiler errors.
- Pedro Castro improved the support for FAB Subtitler files in gnome-subtitles.
- Gabriel Burt added back a podcast browser to Banshee.
- After months of work TLS support has finally landed in glib, many thanks to Dan Winship, it adds an extension point into gio, and glib-networking provides a gnutls-based implementation . (GNOME bug 588189)
- Lucas Rocha started a nautilus extension for the-board; at the moment it allows adding photos to The Board.
- Alexander Larsson landed a “broadway” branch into GTK+, this adds a HTML backend to GTK+; he had written about this before in GTK+ 3 vs HTML 5.
- Maxim Ermilov made links in message banners of gnome shell clickable . (GNOME bug 610219)
- The “About GNOME” dialog has been removed, a new “System Information” panel should arrive to provide similar functionalities.
- Jon Drufresne added a “Show whitespace” preference for the comparison of files in meld . (GNOME bug 622342)
- A complete API break happened in libgrss as all object and function names have been moved to the “grss” namespace.
- Brandon Lewis maded it possible for the viewer widget in pitivi to be (un)docked.
- The gutters in GtkSourceView (typically used to draw line numbers on the side) have been improved by Jesse van den Kieboom, to remove some limitations in sizing and accurate user control.
October 31, 2010
This week… 2425 commits, in 224 projects, by 227 happy hackers (and 516 were translation commits).
- Shaun McCance merged the new desktop help that was being written in a Gitorious repository by Phil Bull and others into the gnome-user-docs module.
- Daniel P. Berrange removed the server side framebuffer cached in a GdkPixmap in gtk-vnc, as the client side was changed to use a cairo image surface.
- Giovanni Campagna completed a library for exposing required parts of gnome-bluetooth to GNOME Shell.
- Totem has been ported to the new GApplication API.
- Some initial Mallard pages have been added by Mario Blätterman to pybibliographer.
- Gabriel Burt updated banshee to show episodes in a grid view.
- Viven Malerba optimized virtual tables usage in libgda.
- Jim Evins added support for elliptical labels to the template designer in glabels.
- Support for monotonic time has been added to glib by Ryan Lortie. He also commited (untested) support for GApplication actions.
- In notification-daemon Jon McCann added a notification box class that updates in place . (GNOME bug 633457)
October 17, 2010
This week… 1906 commits, in 198 projects, by 218 happy hackers (and 330 were translation commits).
- Once again this week many modules are being ported to GTK+ 3, a notable exemple is the port of the Murrine GTK+ Engine.
- Jon McCann dropped support for non-PAM authentication methods from gnome-screensaver.
- A new GApplication implementation by Ryan Lortie landed in glib.
- John Palmieri added compatibility functions for the deprecated PyCObject API to pygobject, also updating it to use the new PyCapsule PAI for Python versions above 3 . (GNOME bug 630844)
- Jonh Wendell made the Avahi browser in Vinagre work with its new plugin system.
- Vitaly Minko updated Empathy to divide spelling suggestions in one sub-menu per language . (GNOME bug 532832)
- Many parts of gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-control-center have been migrated to use GSettings.
- Robin Sonefors added a GUI for unit conversions to gcalctool . (GNOME bug 539830)
- Dodji Seketeli made it possible to start remote debugging in Nemiver from the command line, it is no longer necessary to fill necessary parameters in the GUI . (GNOME bug 624630)
- The colour temperature has been added to the profile viewer details of gnome-color-manager.
- Jonathan Matthew added children to the podcast rhythmbox item, to have access to both new episodes and recent downloads.
- David Zeuthen started implementing the Date and Time GNOME Shell mockups, in the datetime branch.
- And Christian Dywan added a GtkComboBoxText class to GTK+, subclassing GtkComboBox and replaceing the old gtk_combo_box_*_text() convenience API . (GNOME bug 612396)
October 10, 2010
This week… 1988 commits, in 187 projects, by 228 happy hackers (and 349 were translation commits).
- Too many modules to list were ported to use upstream gettext instead of the glib version, and to GTK+ 3, be it complete ports or updates to match recent changes.
- William Jon McCann added a “persistence” server capability to notification-daemon, and the corresponding support in libnotify; this will allow clients to determine if the server will only show transient notifications or has notification persistence. If the server supports persistence then the client should not perform its own message persistence (for example by showing a status icon).
- Hans Breuer fixed the saving of some display settings (antialiasing, snap-to-object…) in Dia . (GNOME bug 155929)
- Meld was modified to use Myers matcher for inline differences (part of GNOME bug 587410).
- An “Edit Image” toolbar button hs been added to eog, conditionnally enabled if a specific image editor is specified in GSettings . (GNOME bug 609958)
- Florian Müllner published an “overview-relayout” branch of GNOME Shell, inaugurating his blog with a From the land of Shell post.
- Sanford Armstrong ported the note XML to HTML transformation that happens in Snowy to the lxml library (GNOME bug 631189).
- In Brasero Philippe Rouquier added a new check for the volume free space when creating an image.
- The control panel of GNOME Color Manager has been split into four tabs to reduce the window height.
- Thomas Wood started implementing new UI designs from Jakup Steiner and Hylke Bons for the datetime configuration panel.
- The “ui-widgets” branch has been merged into gnome-keyring, Stef Walter posted about it in Certificate and Key Widgets.
- Luca Bruno started adding Brtfs-handling modules to gparted.
- In glib Ryan Lortie added GSettings APIs for range and choices . (GNOME bug 631263)
- And in GTK+ Cody Russell added resize grips to GtkWindow, and Matthias Clasen also posted about it in Getting a grip.
September 26, 2010
This week… 2622 commits, in 198 projects, by 238 happy hackers (and 826 were translation commits).
- The 2.32.0 release is almost there and translators are working hard, French reached a 100% translation status, joining Portuguese, Polish, Hungarian, and Galician; an enormous effort also happened in the Uighur team, with almost five thousands new translated strings.
- The Nautilus connect dialog has been updated to match mockups created by Allan Day.
- Many changes landed in Pitivi, such as Karl Palsson updating the sources list to display clip previews on double clicks, and the important work done by Thibault Saunier to add effects being merged; read Pitivi master finaly gets effects! for the announcement and a screenshot.
- Martin Szulecki added an module for iPods in conduit.
- Havoc Pennington improved tests for X error traps in GTK+, fixing two bugs along the way . (GNOME bug 630033)
- Banshee got support for detecting network status under Microsoft Windows, thanks to Pete Johanson (GNOME bug 630296)
- Andreas J. Guelzow improved printing of checkboxes and radio buttons in Gnumeric.
- Srinivasa Ragavan started adding rendering of events in the main calendar view, in his work on a clutterified evolution.
- Johan Dahlin added a lot of missing introspection annotations to glib, and added and fixed a few in GTK+.
- Another summer of code work has been merged, as Jamie Nicol improvements in the Last.fm Rhythmbox plugin have been merged, bringing such changes as the possibility to view its profile (GNOME bug 345957), and to use Libre.fm (GNOME bug 592428).
September 5, 2010
This week… 2545 commits, in 212 projects, by 256 happy hackers (and 731 were translation commits).
- Eitan Isaacson added a checkbox to use the default colour theme when highlighring keys in Caribou . (GNOME bug 622246)
- Joanmarie Diggs added support for object toolkis in Orca, this allows Orco to handle cases where multiple toolkits are used in an application . (GNOME bug 628410)
- Philip Withnall merged his port of Totem to GSettings . (GNOME bug 625896)
- Gabriel Burt pushed a first pass at Bookmarks support for pdfmod, this adds a sidebar treeview that shows the existing bookmarks, and it’s possible to edit or remove them, as well as adding new bookmarks.
- Colin Walters merged his major rewrite of girscanner, and more, in gobject-introspection.
- Support for multi-coloured text layers has been added to Gimp by Michael Natterer, on top of an initial patch by Barak Itkin . (GNOME bug 620674)
- Florian Müllner added support for the text-shadow property in GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 624384)
- Support for the MPRIS v2 API has been added to Banshee, this will allow external applications to interact with Banshee through a standard D-Bus API . (GNOME bug 570841)
- Jonh Wendell added an instant messaging status plugin to Vinagre, that changes the status to busy when the application is switched to full screen mode.
- A backend using the Windows Registry has been added by Sam Thursfield to GSettings.
- Benjamin Otte updated the screenshot tool from gnome-utils to not draw directly to the root window anymore, updating the look of area selection along the way . (GNOME bug 628499)
August 29, 2010
This week… 2512 commits, in 181 projects, by 248 happy hackers (and 596 were translation commits).
- The synctex plugin, to synchronize TeX files and PDF output, has been merged into gedit-plugins.
- Both Lapo Calamandrei and Jakub Steiner worked on the metacity/mutter theme for GNOME 3.
- Nate Stedman added alpha support to backgrounds in Ease.
- A “save as PDF” plugin has been added to Gimp, thanks to Barak Itkin . (GNOME bug 382688)
- Andreas J. Guelzow added progress info support to the ODF export feature of Gnumeric.
- Batch operation support for both Calendar and Documents services has been added to libgdata . (GNOME bug 624141, GNOME bug 624142)
- Christopher Roy Bratusek made the applications menu of Sawfish honour NotShowIn and OnlyShowIn.
- Interactive TLS certification verification has been merged into Empathy . (GNOME bug 626848)
- Jonh Wendell split the reverse VNC feature of Vinagre into its own plugin, and ported it to GSocket, making reverse connections work with both IPv4 and IPv6 . (GNOME bug 626981)
- Cosimo Cecchi updated the design of the Nautilus sidebar, categorizing items with headings, a screnshot is available . (GNOME bug 508404)
- f-spot completed its port to GtkBuilder . (GNOME bug 589702)
- Thomas Wood implemented a new UI design for the background preference panel.
- Thomas Hindoe Paaboel Andersen ported both gnotravex and gnotski to cairo . (GNOME bug 625444)
- Gustavo Noronha Silva wrapped the geolocation support provided by WebKitGTK+ in Epiphany, using info bars to present policy requests to the user . (GNOME bug 626687)
- GDateTime, an opaque data type containing a date and time representation, has been added to GLib . (GNOME bug 50076)
- Benjamin Otte completed the second part of his GTK+ 3 rendering cleanup work, and posted a status report to the gtk-devel-list.
August 22, 2010
This week… 2759 commits, in 181 projects, by 258 happy hackers (and 486 were translation commits).
- Peter Tyser added to Meld the ability to check if version control repository are valid.
- Christian Persch ported libgconf-2 to GDbus, this makes libgconf-2 not link to libdbus anymore, which means libgconf-2 is LGPL2+ again . (GNOME bug 618039)
- Tor-björn Claesson made it possible to register new search providers for the GNOME Shell dash.
- Paul Cutler added Mallard snippets to the gedit snippets plugin.
- Also in the Mallard vicinity Claude Paroz updated Damned Lies to display a special icon next to documentation in the Mallard format.
- Håkon Enger added support for Mac OS VNC authentifcation to gtk-vnc.
- The Murrine engine got support for theming new widgets: GtkIconView and GtkInfoBar.
- Jiří Techet changed the double click behaviour of libchamplain, it will now zoom and center to the clicked area . (GNOME bug 605784)
- Support for importing ODF graphs into Gnumeric continues to improve thanks to Andreas J. Guelzow . (GNOME bug 626961 for example)
- Carlos Garcia Campos merged his port of gnome-applets to the new libpanel-applet API.
- Nicolas Dufresne work on proxy support in GLib has been merged.
- Empathy new “linking contacts” dialog continues to be improved; also it is now possible to disable logging . (GNOME bug 567858)
- Nate Stedman added support for embedding PDF documents in Ease.
- Summer of Code has ended, there is a summary of all projects, the snippets manager plugin written by Dragos Dena has been merged in Anjuta, and a few last updates were posted, Salomon Sicket on TaskView, Pēteris Krišjānis on recording VoIP in Jokosher, and Matt Novenstern who worked on the Message Tray.
August 15, 2010
This week… 2933 commits, in 162 projects, by 257 happy hackers (and 368 were translation commits).
- Emmanuele Bassi added JsonReader, a simple, cursor-based API for parsing a JSON DOM, to json-glib.
- Christian Persch created a gdbus branch of gconf, porting it to gdbus; in the same vein David Zeuthen ported PolicyKit-gnome from dbus-glib to gdbus.
- As for GDK changes, Thomas Hindoe Paaboel Andersen started porting gnome-games, Benjamin Otte pushed a cairo-port branch onto gnome-mag, and ported parts of Nautilus, and The Gimp continued being ported to Cairo by Michael Natterer.
- Empathy has been changed by Bilal Akhtar to use GimpNet as default IRC network . (GNOME bug 625675)
- Martin Pitt ported gdm to UPower . (GNOME bug 626176)
- An initial implementation of the “background” panel has been pushed to gnome-control-center.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added exporting of images to ODF in Gnumeric.
- Preview comments have been added to most of the effects provided by gnome-video-effects (now used by Cheese).
- A new “Shuffle” action has been added on the Banshee play queue.
- Ryan Lortie added signals to GApplication, they are: startup, activate, open, action, and command-line.
- Support for common licenses has been added to GTK+, this introduces a :license-type property . (GNOME bug 336225)
- Also in GTK+ Matthias Clasen beefed up the GTK 2 -> 3 migration guide, including a first cut at documenting the rendering cleanup changes and the region removal.
- For their last week of Summer of Code, Dena Dragos added a basic import/export feature to Anjuta snippets, Adrien Bustany added a function to load resources filtering on their attributes to his tracker ORM, Alexander Saprykin got his chapters plugin merged in Totem (GNOME bug 622779), and more.