December 27, 2009
This week… 1152 commits, in 137 projects, by 191 happy hackers (and 128 were translation commits).
- Thanks to a patch by Philip Chimento gtk-doc got a much improved support for parsing unions . (GNOME bug 165425)
- Francisco Rojas added tag autocompletion to Postr . (GNOME bug 507242)
- Support for BibTeX syntax highlighting has bee pushed to gtksourceview . (GNOME bug 605071)
- Takao Fujiwara updated gdm to reload the i18n file automatically . (GNOME bug 599263)
- Sergey V. Udaltsov updated the gnome-settings-daemon keyboard plugin to use the new GkbdStatus status icon.
- The GNOME Color Manager gained an experimental user-calibrate wizard, which the user can use when there is no calibration hardward available.
- Empathy has been updated with support for inviting to multi user chats.
- The IM status plugin of Rhythmbox got support for Pidgin, a contribution by Mohamad Elrashidin Sajeli . (GNOME bug 605023)
- Xan Lopez brought back window.close() to Epiphany.
August 2, 2009
This week… 2195 commits, in 186 projects, by 288 happy hackers (and 328 were translation commits).
- Now that gnome-doc-utils and yelp both have support for Mallard documents, Milo Casagrande converted gnome-hello documentation to the new format.
- After some discussion on the gnomecc list the default toolbar style has been changed to “Text beside items”.
- Sabayon was changed to use Xephyr instead of Xnest, as Xephyr supports the “new” X extensions.
- gnome-session has been fixed to not exit when the system bus restarts . (GNOME bug 583345)
- A new “ssh” plugin appeared in vinagre, which is becoming a universal tool to access remote systems.
- Robin Stocker added to Totem the functionality to remember the current position of a stream when pausing or closing . (GNOME bug 164918)
- After Hylke Bons posted some thoughts on the font viewer Thomas Wood started implementing the proposed ideas, in the “font-viewer-revamp” branch of the GNOME Control Center.
- Anjuta Git plugin gained an option to initialize new repositories . (GNOME bug 566698)
- Finally, during this 10th week of the summer of code, students were hard at work, some noticeable advancements:
- Paul A. Bellamy successfully implemented syncing and a properties dialog for MTP devices in Rhythmbox;
- Neil Loknath added streaming to Banshee using Telepathy, you can now stream a contact’s music after downloading their library info;
- Paulo Cabido merged the plugin engine with Getting Things Gnome main development branch.
July 26, 2009
This week… 1598 commits, in 174 projects, by 230 happy hackers (and 302 were translation commits).
- An example displaying geotagged photos from Flickr has been added to libchamplain.
- A “Share My Desktop” feature has been added to Empathy, it allows a contact to share his desktop over an IM stream . (GNOME bug 589091)
- The mousewheel action on Rhythmbox status icon has been made configurable, it can be made to switch to next/previous tracks, and to modify the audio volume . (GNOME bug 376863)
- Orca has been extended to prepend “mispelled” to the words marked as such in Mozilla text areas . (GNOME bug 588910)
- Anjuta Git support has been modified to show the active branch in the status bar, and to provide “git stash” features in the UI.
- gnome-power-manager removed the CanSuspend and CanHibernate D-Bus methods as there is now a patch available for gnome-session, to make it so it handles them directly via DeviceKit-power.
- Bastien Nocera added profile switching support to the volume control, and blogged about it.
- Zhang Sen, who is working on Telepathy Tubes support for the Sudoku game in his GSOC, added saving and undo/redo support.
- In another GSOC, to create a D-Bus mail service, Ian Marcinkowski commited his IMAP parser.
- GNote added a D-Bus interface mimicking the Tomboy one . (GNOME bug 581030)
- Eye of GNOME gained an option to have the detailed metadata list widget shown on its own notebook page in the properties dialog, so the dialog is smaller and fit on smaller displays . (GNOME bug 566810)
- Finally Matthew Barnes ported gnome-video-arcade from libglade to GtkBuilder, and Felix Riemann converted zenity . (GNOME bug 578393)
July 19, 2009
This week… 1954 commits, in 172 projects, by 279 happy hackers (and 293 were translation commits).
- Amitakhya Phukan added Assamese translations to a bunch of modules.
- Pierre Wieser rewrote much of the foundations of nautilus-actions, and ported to GtkBuilder along the way.
- Along the same line Felix Riemann removed the last bit of libglade from gnome-settings-daemon (GNOME bug 582502); Jaap Haitsma ported gnome-nettool (GNOME bug 580149), Christopher Taylor did gnome-screensaver (GNOME bug 463010), and Javier Jardón migrated the GTK+ wizard of Anjuta.
- A target to generate PDF files have been added to gtk-doc exposed targets.
- Several release team scripts, and jhbuild, have added support for SHA-256, to replace MD5 checksums with a better hashing algorithm.
- Thanks to Thibault Saunier, libgdata gained support for the Google Documents service (GNOME bug 587073); this is an important step in his Nautilus: Add support to Google docs for GNOME GSOC.
- Evolution got a rewrite of its calendar cache, backends will be migrating to it after some more testing.
- Working on GtkTreeView performances Benjamin Otte looked at Epiphany location bar and changed it to set a fixed width on its cell renderer.
- Murray Cumming published a toolpalette branch for GTK+, implementing a new tool palette container widget, with groups of toolbar items that can be shown as a grid of icons or a list of names (GNOME bug 567729).
- Also in GTK+ Michael Natterer added a bunch of API to access sealed flags or members, as they are necessary for applications to port applications to a GSEAL-enabled GTK+.
- Banshee added support for WebOS, used in the Palm Pre (GNOME bug 585112).
- Ray Strode ported the GDM greeter to PolicyKit 1.0, and made it so, that in case of duplicated names, it appends the username to differentiate the entries.
- After discussing the matter with designers at GUADEC, William Jon McCann patched libgnome to disable icons on menu items and buttons (GNOME bug 583352, GNOME bug 557469); guidelines on the proper usage of icons should now be published.
June 7, 2009
This week… 1950 commits, in 167 projects, by 242 happy hackers (and 218 were translation commits).
- Banshee gained a “shuffle by album” option (GNOME bug 348582)
- Support for publishing geolocation information has been merged into Empathy (GNOME bug 571666)
- Milan Crha added a folder emblem to show new mail arrivals to Evolution (GNOME bug 323037); also Evolution dropped support for CDE (GNOME bug 582939).
- Support for the JPEG 2000 image format has been added to Gimp (GNOME bug 111409)
- GTK+ gained a new GtkInfoBar widget, similar to GeditMessageArea and similar widgets in Firefox. Its API is inspired by GtkDialog, with a content area and an action area. The message area uses symbolic colors for different background colors for warnings, errors, informational messages, etc . (GNOME bug 555344)
- Rhythmbox track change notification bubbles gained a “Skip” button (GNOME bug 331272)
- Shaun McCance created a new “mallard” branch for Yelp, to add support for the new Mallard document format.
- Christian Persch made a few HIG improvements to the NetworkManager connection editor (GNOME bug 584223)
- JHBuild GUI was rewritten to be totally awesome (and to not require libglade).
- PyBank, the bindings for GIRepository, got handling of structs as return values.
- Most importantly, Anjuta splash screen got rewritten from the obsolete libgnomecanvas to straight cairo (GNOME bug 571740).
May 31, 2009
This week… 1881 commits, in 190 projects, by 250 happy hackers (and 279 were translation commits).
- DBus support has been added to gjs . (GNOME bug 580948).
- gnome-power-manager went back to use the original idletime code to fix backlight bugs, Richard Hughes explained in his commit that “The new IDLETIME code from gnome-session is very buggy, and the old code was much easier to understand. This should fix random DPMS off blanking and the fade-up-down-up on session resume.”
- In Empathy Pierre-Luc Beaudouin added support to display the locations of contacts on a map widget (provided by libchamplain ). (GNOME bug 571667)
- Vinagre gained a new “read-only” toggle button in its toolbar . (GNOME bug 583230)
- Johannes Schmid removed the remaining libglade bits from anjuta, that is now using GtkBuilder . (GNOME bug 530740)
- gdl, the GNOME Docking Library, removed its dependency on libgnome (GNOME bug 580860) and dropped libglade in favour of GtkBuilder (GNOME bug 582511).
- xchat-gnome got rid of the deprecated GTK+ symbols it was using (GNOME bug 572239).
- More than five years after it was first reported, thanks to the migration to WebKit, Epiphany will now set the Referer header when opening links in new tabs . (GNOME bug 120341)
May 10, 2009
This week… 1980 commits, in 184 projects, by 244 happy hackers (and 281 were translation commits).
- Alacarte switched from libglade to gtkbuilder (GNOME bug 577911) and Trevor Watkins published his work on a vala rewrite in the vala+gdesktopmenu branch.
- Anjuta git plugin now features a “amend” option in its commit dialog . (GNOME bug 580340)
- Eog gained a “set as background” command in its image context menu . (GNOME bug 581180)
- Tomas Bzatek fixed the gvfs FTP backend to parse file sizes over 4 gigabytes correctly.
- Robert Carr added a D-Bus module to Seed, he wrote about it in DBus, sandboxes, REPLs, Life.
- Alexander Larsson went through the lowlevel part of gnio, fixing all the issues he pointed out in his initial review, making it work fully on win32, writing docs, plus fixing lots of other things he found. He posted a status report, with some open questions.
- Jonh Wendell started refactoring Vinagre to make it a generic viewer, not just for VNC anymore.
- Vino, XChat-GNOME, deskbar-applet, gnome-system-monitor and Evolution changed to use g_timeout_add_seconds instead of g_timeout_add where appropriate . (GNOME bug 581204, GNOME bug 581094, GNOME bug 581207, GNOME bug 591099, GNOME bug 573830)
April 5, 2009
This week… 1520 commits, in 164 projects, by 160 happy hackers (and 180 were translation commits).
- GTK+ and glib switched to git.gnome.org; so Alexander Larsson sent in his client-side-windows branch; in the meantime Dan Winship published a glib branch adding GResolver, a glib-ish interface to DNS.
- Gerd Kohlberger migrated gok to libcanberra; it was the last module using esound.
- Anjuta git plugin got checkout support; and the project import wizard has been replaced by a simpler dialog that allows to import directly from a version control system.
- A patch by Simon van der Linden got commited to gnome-terminal, adding a “Leave Fullscreen” menu item (GNOME bug 566335).
- Totem switched from bacon-message-connection to libunique (GNOME bug 162822), also a new D-Bus Service plugin (GNOME bug 576016) and the YouTube plugin was ported to C, using the new libgdata library.
- Matthew Barnes continues his hard work removing bonobo usage from evolution, he finished attachment dragndrop in the composer window.
- Evince fading animations got fixed (the next page was displayed before animation started).
- Empathy was fixed so IRC commands without special support are no longer sent as plaintext . (GNOME bug 577026).
- Rhythmbox improved his support for MTP devices; it now creates album objects on the device when transferring songs, and sends the album art to the device if it supports the JPEG file type.
February 1, 2009
This week… 1687 commits, in 167 projects, by 184 happy hackers (and 391 were translation commits).
- In Conduit, John Stowers added a new dataprovider that changes the desktop wallpaper, and suggests connecting to a flickr RSS feed…
- Sound Juicer media support has been ported from libnautilusburn to libbrasero-media . (GNOME bug 567286)
- After much testing Behdad Esfahbod removed the ClassDef->Defined field in Pango, and the associated special-handling code; he wrote “The special-casing was consuming lots of memory. EIGHT MEGABYTES for loading DejaVu Sans! While this could be complete fixed, I decided to remove the special-handling code altogether. I don’t think it will make any real difference, and if it does, we’ll fix fonts.”; in another commit he also saved over 2000 alloc calls when loading DejaVu Sans.
- Deskbar got an OpenSearch module . (GNOME bug 528184)
- Cosimo Cecchi implemented write support for the ObexFTP gvfs backend . (GNOME bug 519071)
- Following libnotify acceptance as an external dependency, Empathy got support and will now show a popup notification when receiving a new message.
- Ryan Lortie added _async functions for GDataInputStream (async versions of read_line and read_until ). (GNOME bug 568575)
- file-roller got ported to use gtkbuilder instead of libglade.
- A good bunch of memory leaks were fixed in brasero.
- The Volume Control balance widget got updated to use the new GTK+ scale marks.
- Banshee got a basic clutter UI for rendering the video texture from the clutter sink in the media pipeline.
- Theppitak Karoonboonyanan went on building modules out of their source trees and filed bugs and patches against those failing, many of those issues are already fixed (in gnome-settings-daemon, Ekiga, Brasero and gnome-keyring).
- Callum McKenzie finally killed the last bit of libgnome in gnome-applets; and returned the mixer applet.
- Long standing GTK+ bug (lastly spotted in a post on Planet Gnome by Ruben Vermeersch) got nailed with a patch from Simos Xenitellis . (GNOME bug 162726)
- Rhythmbox improved its handling of transcoding format selection for MTP devices, now preferring MP3 over M4A/AAC . (GNOME bug 567524)
- Pavel Kostyuchenko work on Anjuta/Glade3 integration (part of GSoC, see project his proposal) finally got commited . (GNOME bug 542412)
January 25, 2009
This week… 1650 commits, in 173 projects, by 193 happy hackers (and 306 were translation commits).
- The panel got lockdown support to prevent it being dragged to a different screen edge . (GNOME bug 309721).
- Alacarte was ported to gio . (GNOME bug 514574)
- Jonh Wendell rewrote the vinagre applet, to use GObject, fixing the way it works on transparent panels in the process (GNOME bug 568674); he also commited a rewritten Vino Preferences dialog, with the ability to check if the machine can be accessed though the Internet.
- Seed got opengl-glib girs and a glxgears port.
- In Nautilus, gnome-desktop and gnome-settings-daemon, patches from Ray Strode landed, adding support for fading between backgrounds.
- Anjuta got upgraded to use GtkPrint, removing its dependency on libgnomeprint/ui . (GNOME bug 564659)
- Patches by Tomeu Vizoso were commited to evince to move code to a libeviview library, so it can be embedded in other applications, Tomeu blogged about it . (GNOME bug 567751)
- John Stowers came back on conduit, applying patches and fixing many bugs.
- In Epiphany Gustavo Noronha added multiple keyword-based AND-search for the location bar.
- GTK+ got support for select-by-word in selectable labels, marks on GtkScale, and improved autocompletion in the file chooser entry.