August 8, 2010
This week… 2649 commits, in 194 projects, by 282 happy hackers (and 522 were translation commits).
- Ruben Vermeersch updated f-spot to show import failures after the import command is done.
- Nate Stedman made ease use a single instance, using libunique.
- A long list of deprecations (GdkImage, GdkGC…) has landed in the GTK+ 2.21 branch, to match functions and objects that were removed in GTK+ 3.
- Andrea Cimitan added blur capabilities to his Murrine GTK+ engine.
- GEdit got a GSettings migration file (GNOME bug 619898).
- In GNOME Color Manager Richard Hugues added the possibility to flick between different images in the profile viewer.
- Validation of UTF-8 strings when serializing from blob has been added to GDBus.
- GNOME Power Manager EggConsoleKit has been converted to use GDBus.
- Philip Withnall added a key-file backend to folks, to store links made between contacts.
- Epiphany web inspector got new capabilities, including docking in Epiphany’s window, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote about this in WebKitGTK+ and the Web Inspector.
- Aaron Bockover added the Amazon MP3 server proxy code tat is used to redirect the user to the correct Amazon store, set the Amazon Affiliate ID on requests, and generally provide a level of indirection.
- Bastien Nocera added support for Last.fm’s new XSPF extensions to totem-pl-parser.
- Jiří Techet introduced a memory cache, and removed the non-persistent file cache, to store tiles in libchamplain.
- The summer of code is ending soon, Luca Invernizzi ported his Getting Things Gnome Evolution plugin to be a proper backend, Jamie Nicol added the ability to download free songs from Last.fm in Rhythmbox, etc.
July 4, 2010
This week… 2192 commits, in 173 projects, by 235 happy hackers (and 293 were translation commits).
- Jim Evins added native support for SVG images to glabels.
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro continued porting gedit plugins to libpeas, and Philip Withnall ported totem plugins.
- The possibility to edit metadata of many images is now possible again in gthumb (GNOME bug 618187)
- Ryan Lortie added a GSettings port of Cheese, in the gsettings branch.
- Vinagre got support for RDP connections, wrapping the rdesktop program . (GNOME bug 503456)
- Matthias Clasen added bash completion support for gsettings.
- Nate Stedman added possiblity for the user to insert images into ease.
- Support for OSSv4 and SunAudio has been added to gstreamer-properties . (GNOME bug 618402)
- Shaun McCance finished the transition to GDBus of yelp.
- In the various Summer of Code Jamie Nicol has been making progress on Last.fm radio playback in rhythmbox, Luca Invernizzi finished the first version of a Launchpad backend for Getting Things GNOME, etc.
June 20, 2010
This week… 2299 commits, in 199 projects, by 257 happy hackers (and 362 were translation commits).
- This week again a few modules were ported to gsettings, this is the case for GNOME Shell, Brasero, Empathy and the GNOME Bluetooth nautilus-sendto plugin.
- girparser, from gobject-introspection, got support for an introspectable=no attribute, to replace the hackish pre-filter for varargs with a much more generic mechanism . (GNOME bug 621570)
- Robert Ancell made dconf-editor understand and display configuration schemas.
- Jonh Wendell added the possibility to specifiy an alternative ssh port when doing tunnels in Vinagre . (GNOME bug 621809)
- Matthias Clasen ported accounts-dialog to be a control-center panel, this is done in the control-center-panel branch.
- Maxim Ermilov added animated display of startup notifications to GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 598349)
- Totem has been ported to the new libpeas for plugin handling . (GNOME bug 604830)
- Garrett Regier added support for gobject introspection to gedit (GNOME bug 621549)
- F-Spot has been switched to use bilinear scaling for thumbnails . (GNOME bug 621881)
- Stef Walter fixed a deadlock on secure memory usage in gnome-keyring.
- Around the Summer of Code projects, Stéphane Maniaci added a basic flickr fetcher to ease, to grab pictures from flickr, Luca Invernizzi added a new two-way synchronization engine to Getting Things GNOME, Alexander Saprykin implemented GIO async read/write support to his totem chapter plugin, and other students also did much work…
May 23, 2010
This week… 2040 commits, in 188 projects, by 264 happy hackers (and 299 were translation commits).
- Brian M. Carlson added DocBook version 5 support to yelp-xsl.
- Totem and Transmageddon both got support for the new WebM video format.
- The Google Calendar backend in evolution-data-server has been removed, as the CalDAV backend should be enough to interact with Google.
- Carlos Garcia Campos continued working on his Bonobo-less panel changes, with a port to GDBus.
- Thomas Wood added support for “shell” and “panels” in gnome-control-center, and added an initial implementation of a date/time panel.
- Shaun McCance added nautilus-sendto support in Yelp, to be able to send the pictures in documentation.
- The password length limit for SSH connections in Vinagre has been lifted.
- Xan Lopez removed the status bar of Epiphany, replacing its only use, the display of targets, by a small overlay that only appear on hover . (GNOME bug 609713)
- Łukasz Jernaś added GObject introspection support to Emerillon.
- GEdit got full support for compressed files . (GNOME bug 413220)
- In GNOME Shell Owen Taylor added a facility for automated performance measurement (GNOME bug 618189); and Dan Winship updated the Telepathy support to show notifications of presence changes (GNOME bug 611613).
- Emmanuele Bassi added a GApplication class to GLib, and Colin Walters used it to add a GtkApplication class to GTK+.
- Lin Ma reworked Solaris file event notification in GIO.
May 16, 2010
This week… 2094 commits, in 204 projects, by 253 happy hackers (and 417 were translation commits).
- Florent Thévenet added support for user preferences to solang, using gsettings.
- libunique and gtkmm have both been ported to GTK+ 3.0.
- Fabio Bonelli removed libbonobo from Galeon, it uses D-Bus now.
- In pygi John Palmieri wrapped the GObject module, making it compatible with both the ancient pygobject attributes and new attributes exposed by introspection.
- Roberto Majadas added initial support for ConsoleKit in nanny.
- The dependency on libgnome-vfs has been removed from f-spot, it now uses GIO.
- The class inheritance graph in anjuta has been switched to use cairo, instead of straight gdk draw.
- Christian Persch ported Evince and GConf to GDBus.
- Fridrich Strba pushed an initial implementation to have evolution as default mail client and mailto handler under Windows.
- Introspection support has been added for the libnautilus-extension library.
- GEdit unique instance mechanism has been switched from bacon to DBus.
- In GNOME Shell Colin Walters implemented the initial application menu.
- Last but not least Matthias Clasen merged GDBus in glib.
May 9, 2010
This week… 2274 commits, in 184 projects, by 262 happy hackers (and 262 were translation commits).
- Guillaume Desmottes and Sjoerd Simons merged their timestamp work into Empathy’s master branch . (GNOME bug 615976)
- Nautilus saw changes in its bookmark API, including the removal of the deprecated gtnome-fs-bookmark* icon names, replaced by the folder icon, and the use of emblems.
- Aleksander Morgado has been improving unicode support of tracker using libicu based word breaking to the parser-libunistring-review branch of tracker.
- Meego improvements got merged into Banshee’s master branch.
- Robert Carr started theming support and improved shapes capabilities in Glide.
- Ekiga got support to work in 16bpp mode . (GNOME bug 611308)
- gedit port to gsettings continued, with many plugins ported already.
- Ross Burton has been working on Randr related improvements of gnome-settings-daemon for Meego. This is happening in the new randr branch of gnome-settings-daemon.
- Yelp got basic printing support, and started being ported to gdbus.
- Matthias Clasen layed ground for new work on GTK+ 3.0 as he made it parallel-installable to 2.x.
- Matthew Barnes went forward replacing CamelObject by GObject in camel, evolution, evolution-data-server, evolution-mapi and evolution-exchange.
Many thanks to Dodji Seketeli who assembled most of this issue.
April 25, 2010
This week… 1978 commits, in 233 projects, by 242 happy hackers (and 492 were translation commits).
- Support for animated images (GNOME bug 335093) and scaling of SVG images (GNOME bug 108435) have been added to eog.
- Many patches from Quentin Sculo have been applied to perl-Gtk2, bringing support for new widgets and methods the GTK+ Perl binding.
- Much work continued to happen with regards to gsettings, Matthias Clasen for example added gsettings-tools, a command line tool equivalent to gconftool . (GNOME bug 616313)
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro created a gsettings branch to hold the port of gedit to GSettings.
- In the same vein, Bastien Nocera ported gnome-bluetooth, and Milan Bouchet-Valat ported gnome-system-tools, and Shaun McCance ported yelp.
- Ray Strode added a smartcard plugin to gnome-settings-daemon, it listens for smartcard insertion and removal events and then locks the screen or forces a log out (depending on gconf) when the card used for login is removed.
- Lucien Langa added correct handling of the RSS media extension to evolution-rss, making it possible to download enclosures.
- Łukasz Jernaś started writing the Giggle documentation using Mallard.
- Jean Brefort implemented graph only sheets into Gnumeric . (GNOME bug 158170)
January 24, 2010
This week… 1900 commits, in 191 projects, by 249 happy hackers (and 339 were translation commits).
- Epiphany now has page cache enabled, as all critical bugs have been fixed and it now needs real world testing.
- Huzaifa S. Sidhpurwala added TLS-Remote support to the NetworkManager OpenVPN plugin . (GNOME bug 455142)
- Cheese has been changed to limit webcam framerate to 30 frames per second, as the developers really do not want webcams that claim to support huge framerates to slow down everything . (GNOME bug 607238)
- Enrico Minack updated the Invest applet to connect to NetworkManager to react on network changes . (GNOME bug 605739)
- GNOME Color Manager gained the ability to find and select ICC profiles on mounted volumes from other operating systems (both Mac OS X and Windows ). (GNOME bug 607390)
- Jesse van den Kieboom fixed bugs in the smart converter encoding guessing of gedit and added test cases.
- The GNOME Disk Utility got drive emblems, used to mark RAID and LVM2 “drives”.
- A new workspaces view, matching latest design has been commited to the GNOME Shell, the default workspace view is now a scrollable horizontal list, with a control to switch between it and the previous grid view . (GNOME bug 593844)
- Toms Baugis added the possibility for Hamster to run as a standalone application, instead of being a panel applet.
- The accounts dialog of Empathy gained an extra column in the treeview displaying the status of each account (GNOME bug 605309).
January 3, 2010
This week… 1259 commits, in 144 projects, by 148 happy hackers (and 191 were translation commits).
- Empathy will now display the protocol icon in a corner of the status icon of the contacts . (GNOME bug 603877)
- Kupfer got support for Triggers, Ulrik Sverdrup explains it in detail in his appropriately named Kupfer gains Triggers post.
- Debarshi Ray (who took over maintenance of gnote) added a “note of the day” addin . (GNOME bug 590589)
- Gian Mario Tagliaretti wrapped many GSocket and GResolver functions for pygobjet.
- Epiphany was fixed so that notifification of completed downloads doesn’t rely anymore on the presence of the status icon . (GNOME bug 604599)
- The mixed state of toggle buttons has been changed to be drawn half in the normal and the other half in the pressed state . (GNOME bug 502165)
- Jesse van den Kieboom improved menu integration of gedit on Mac OS X; this now uses the latest updates done on the ige-mac-integration library, with additional patches.
- Josh Tripplet added support for XTerm bracketed paste mode to VTE, this allows programs to distinguish pasted text from typed text. For example vim could automatically use paste mode for pastes, avoiding unwanted duplicate indentation or formatting . (GNOME bug 605299)
- Sebastien Granjoux added a new project backend to Anjuta, to open a directory as a project.
- Cody Russel added a GtkOffscreenWindow implementation, to make it much easier to take an arbitrary widget and render it to an offscreen buffer without having it displayed anywhere onscreen . (GNOME bug 604901)