December 26, 2010
This week… 2262 commits, in 216 projects, by 210 happy hackers (and 436 were translation commits).
- Much work happened in GTK+ to make it possible to have multiple backends in parallel.
- The charmap plugin in gedit-plugins has been rewritten in Python by Ignacio Casal Quinteiro.
- Sergey V. Udaltsov added introspection support for libgnomekbd.
- Aleksander Morgado contributed a lot of improvements to Devhelp, including the possibility for a language-based search . (GNOME bug 353108)
- The new mallard documentation of Evince has been merged.
- Tony Young added the possiblity for the user to export data from Snowy to JSON or a tarfile of .note files . (GNOME bug 629590)
- Rupert Swarbrick started rewriting manpage support in Yelp to use man -Z and parsing.
- Alejandro Leiva merged the profiles and new settings manager in Orca.
- Øyvind Kolås increased the maximum number of threads used by Gegl from 8 to 16.
December 19, 2010
This week… 1798 commits, in 165 projects, by 218 happy hackers (and 271 were translation commits).
- Shaun McCance added support for the Mallard Facets extension to both yelp and yelp-xsl.
- Robert Carr ported ease from autotools to the Wav build system.
- James Liggett implemented the Revert pane in the Git plugin of Anjuta.
- Handling of GeoRSS for YouTube videos has been added to libgdata.
- Laura Lucas Alday added command line options for starting cheese in wide and fullscreen modes . (GNOME bug 597820)
- Milan Bouchet-Valat switched the GNOME System Tools to GTK+ 3.
- A rewrite of the documentation for Orca has been started by Joanmarie Diggs.
- In gnome-settings-daemon Colin Walters changed the default behaviour when closing a laptop lid, from hibernate to suspend . (GNOME bug 637473)
- The sasl-gui branch has been merged into Empathy, meaning it is now possible to setup accounts without saving the passwords.
- Maxim Ermilov implemented filtering applications by category to GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 631537)
- Tristan Van Berkom merged his treeview refactoring in GTK+, he has a number of posts on the subject in his blog.
- Richard Hughes added a first version of a network panel to the control center.
December 12, 2010
This week… 1805 commits, in 169 projects, by 212 happy hackers (and 260 were translation commits).
- Kenny Meyer added a tab to the context pane of Rhythmbox with links to websites for album and artist info . (GNOME bug 636550)
- Philip Withnall switched many of the libgdata API to be stream-based, he wrote about his libgdata work in “Recent libgdata work“.
- Shaun McCance added syntax highlighting for code snippets in Yelp.
- The Murrine GTK+ engine has been turned into a GtkThemingEngine by Andrea Cimitan, while Carlos Garnacho did the same for the clearlooks engine in gtk-theme-engine-clearlooks.
- David Pellicer added scanning support to the Caribou onscreen keyboard.
- Detection of TLS and SSL support has been added to the FTP backend in gvfs.
- Carlos Garnacho added the beginning of a CSS-based theme to gnome-themes-standard.
- Diego Escalante Urrelo added nice custom error pages to Epiphany . (GNOME bug 592667)
- Tomas Bzatek added a check to gnome-settings-daemon, to detect if Nautilus is running, as it is no longer possible to rely on having Nautilus a key component in the session. (see GNOME bug 636191 for details).
- Carlos Garcia Campos added a new sidebar page for bookmarks in Evince, it allows to add, remove, and rename internal bookmarks.
- Daniel G. Siegle added new effects contributed by Filippo Argiolas to gnome-video-effects, and added a fade-in animation when switching effect page in Cheese.
- Johannes Schmid ported Anjuta to G(tk)Application.
- Bastien Nocera added a “network time” switch to the datetime control center panel.
- The Quartz backend in GTK+ has been ported to the latest rendering-cleanup changes by Kristian Rietveld.
- Brandon Lewis implemented the saving of presets in Pitivi.
- The participants to the doc dev tools hackfest contributed a serie of tutorials and demos to the gnome-devel-docs module.
September 19, 2010
This week… 2375 commits, in 198 projects, by 264 happy hackers (and 599 were translation commits).
- Rupert Swarbrick added paragraph support in the parsing of .info files in Yelp.
- Florian Müllner implemented side-by-side tiling in Mutter; when dragging a window over a screen edge and dropping it there, maximize it vertically and scale it horizontally to cover the corresponding half of the current monitor; this has been enabled by default in GNOME Shell (GNOME bug 606260)
- Eog has been modified to ask the user whether to reload externally modified images . (GNOME bug 534348)
- Alexey Fisher added two optional video filters to Empathy for video chat support, for both limiting the maximal framerate of webcams, and reducing video noise . (GNOME bug 628789, GNOME bug 628786)
- Pdfmod gained zoom slider/buttons, by Gabriel Burt (GNOME bug 614378, GNOME bug 628437)
- Hans Breuer improved UML objects in Dia, allowing them all to have their line width, font, and font size changed by the user . (GNOME bug 86238)
- Image loading performances in GThumb have been optimized.
- The Evolution calendar got some new neat (and meaningful) animations, in the clutter-calendar-v2 branch.
- Giovanni Campagna added an Universal Access status indicator to GNOME Shell; it allows the user to change rapidly the keyboard and mouse behaviour (sticky keys, slow keys, bounce keys, mouse keys), as well as the enabled ATs (magnifier, screen reader, screen keyboard) and the HighContrast Gtk theme.
- The “wcf” branch of Blam has been merged, adding usage of System.ServiceModel.Syndication instead of the RSSFeed and AtomFeed libraries . (GNOME bug 550803)
- In GTK+ Havoc Pennington added margin and alignment properties to GtkWidget.
July 4, 2010
This week… 2192 commits, in 173 projects, by 235 happy hackers (and 293 were translation commits).
- Jim Evins added native support for SVG images to glabels.
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro continued porting gedit plugins to libpeas, and Philip Withnall ported totem plugins.
- The possibility to edit metadata of many images is now possible again in gthumb (GNOME bug 618187)
- Ryan Lortie added a GSettings port of Cheese, in the gsettings branch.
- Vinagre got support for RDP connections, wrapping the rdesktop program . (GNOME bug 503456)
- Matthias Clasen added bash completion support for gsettings.
- Nate Stedman added possiblity for the user to insert images into ease.
- Support for OSSv4 and SunAudio has been added to gstreamer-properties . (GNOME bug 618402)
- Shaun McCance finished the transition to GDBus of yelp.
- In the various Summer of Code Jamie Nicol has been making progress on Last.fm radio playback in rhythmbox, Luca Invernizzi finished the first version of a Launchpad backend for Getting Things GNOME, etc.
June 13, 2010
This week… 2432 commits, in 191 projects, by 260 happy hackers (and 292 were translation commits).
- Many modules started adopting GTK+ 3 (GNOME Desktop, GNOME Settings Daemon, GNOME Color Manager, GNOME Power Manager, GNOME Control Center, Goocanvas, Totem), sometimes keeping compatibility with GTK+ 2.x, (like VTE, gucharmap, GNOME Games, librsvg and GNOME Terminal).
- Shaun McCance added “Copy Code Block” and “Save Code Black As” to code snippets in Yelp, he wrote about the feature in Yelp and the DOM.
- The volume control “applet” has been changed to use symbolic icons (GNOME bug 614212), to complete this Jakub Steiner added such icons for microphone levels . (GNOME bug 621175)
- Johan Dahlin added a “promise” module to gjs, to provide a better API for supporting asynchronous code . (GNOME bug 608450)
- Grilo got a gravatar plugin, it is used to distribute an artist-avatar/author-avater attribute if either “artist” or “author” fields contain a valid email.
- Totem has been updated to use a dark theme and symbolic icons . (GNOME bug 617921)
- Ryan Lortie added dconf-editor to the dconf module.
- Jonathan Matthew implemented the MPRIS D-Bus specification in Rhythmbox (GNOME bug 618520), MPRIS defines a common D-Bus interface for media players.
- Harold Schreckengost contributed a new F-Spot topic based help.
- Felix Kaser added a new “EmpathyLiveSearch” widget in Empathy, used to dynamically filter the main window contact list.
- In GNOME Control Center Thomas Wood converted the display capplet to a settings panel.
- Andreas J. Guelzow added a search function to the function selector of Gnumeric . (GNOME bug 495776)
- In the GNOME Shell Florian Müllner added a fade effect when overing over items of the dash . (GNOME bug 620782)
- Abderrahim Kitouni added a plugin to support Vala to Anjuta . (GNOME bug 620757)
- William Jon McCann improved the performance of the GDM greeter (GNOME bug 621045)
- In Summer of Code land, Alexander Saprykin wrote a tiny parser for CMML files, so libcmml won’t be necessary for chapter support in Totem; Yuvi Panda made photo, video and burst modes of Cheese work in his Vala port; Michal Hruby wrote a Rhythmbox plugin using Zeitgeist; and more.
June 6, 2010
This week… 1883 commits, in 194 projects, by 225 happy hackers (and 372 were translation commits).
- Christian Persch added a backend using GDBus to libunique (GNOME bug 618723).
- In the same vain both libbonobo and nautilus have been ported to use GDBus.
- In another important transition Richard Hughes ported gnome-packagekit and gnome-power-manager to GSettings.
- Maxim Ermilov modified GNOME Shell app view to have sections, based on the categories from desktop files . (GNOME bug 614131)
- John Palmieri added the gtk-demo app, and a couple of demos, to the the pygi repository.
- Per-line staging and unstaging has been made possibile in the gitg git frontend.
- Robert Carr added a theme chooser, and several themes, to his Glide presentation tool.
- In the Ease presentation tool Nate Stedman added transition previews in the inspector.
- Evolution-data-server got the necessary code to connect via a SOCKS4 proxy.
- Yelp got a “Read Later” feature, Shaun McCance wrote about it on his blog: Read It Later With Yelp.
- Ruben Vermeersch worked on the import code of f-spot.
- An initial universal access module and UI has been added to the gnome-control-center by Thomas Wood.
- During his SoC Alex Launi abstracted the context pane logic of Banshee so that the context pane and the now playing area can work independently while sharing the same backend content.
- Yuvi Panga spent his second week replicating most of the UI of Cheese in Vala, making the thumbnail widget work, and implementing a fullscreen mode.
May 30, 2010
This week… 2346 commits, in 184 projects, by 266 happy hackers (and 405 were translation commits).
- Vincent Untz improved and merged Carlos Garcia Campos branch of gnome-panel that moves applets off Bonobo, to D-Bus . (GNOME bug 572131)
- Shaun McCance landed a bookmarks editor in Yelp.
- A Kupfer plugin that adds a quick access to tasks from Getting Things GNOME! has been contributed by Karol Będkowski.
- The “Default Applications” capplet has been converted to a settings panel.
- Support for devices with sector sizes of more than 512 bytes have been enabled in gparted (GNOME bug 607165)
- Adel Gadllah contributed to GNOME Shell, with a patch to make sure the app switcher would always be displayed on the primary monitor.
- XInput2 support has been merged in GTK+, enabling the use of multiple keyboards and pointer pairs . (GNOME bug 596725)
- Both GNOME Color Manager and Evince have been ported to use GDBus.
- Alexander Larsson added some initial support for dtrace and systemtap to GLib, the current set of probes is on allocation and free using g_malloc & friends, and g_slice, and gquark name tracking . (GNOME bug 606044)
- Edgar Luna added a new lyrics parser, using darklyrics.com, to Rhythmbox (GNOME bug 525094)
- Support for gobject introspection has been added to gtksourceview by Tomeu Vizoso, and to dconf by Ryan Lortie.
- Morten Welinder added a non-linear solver to Gnumeric (GNOME bug 614865)
- In their GSOC Yuvi Panda pushed the work he started to rewrite Cheese in Vala, Jamie Nicol updated the Last.fm plugin of rhythmbox to support the new authentication API, and Salomon Sickert has written the first part of a support library for his “TaskView” project.
May 23, 2010
This week… 2040 commits, in 188 projects, by 264 happy hackers (and 299 were translation commits).
- Brian M. Carlson added DocBook version 5 support to yelp-xsl.
- Totem and Transmageddon both got support for the new WebM video format.
- The Google Calendar backend in evolution-data-server has been removed, as the CalDAV backend should be enough to interact with Google.
- Carlos Garcia Campos continued working on his Bonobo-less panel changes, with a port to GDBus.
- Thomas Wood added support for “shell” and “panels” in gnome-control-center, and added an initial implementation of a date/time panel.
- Shaun McCance added nautilus-sendto support in Yelp, to be able to send the pictures in documentation.
- The password length limit for SSH connections in Vinagre has been lifted.
- Xan Lopez removed the status bar of Epiphany, replacing its only use, the display of targets, by a small overlay that only appear on hover . (GNOME bug 609713)
- Łukasz Jernaś added GObject introspection support to Emerillon.
- GEdit got full support for compressed files . (GNOME bug 413220)
- In GNOME Shell Owen Taylor added a facility for automated performance measurement (GNOME bug 618189); and Dan Winship updated the Telepathy support to show notifications of presence changes (GNOME bug 611613).
- Emmanuele Bassi added a GApplication class to GLib, and Colin Walters used it to add a GtkApplication class to GTK+.
- Lin Ma reworked Solaris file event notification in GIO.
May 9, 2010
This week… 2274 commits, in 184 projects, by 262 happy hackers (and 262 were translation commits).
- Guillaume Desmottes and Sjoerd Simons merged their timestamp work into Empathy’s master branch . (GNOME bug 615976)
- Nautilus saw changes in its bookmark API, including the removal of the deprecated gtnome-fs-bookmark* icon names, replaced by the folder icon, and the use of emblems.
- Aleksander Morgado has been improving unicode support of tracker using libicu based word breaking to the parser-libunistring-review branch of tracker.
- Meego improvements got merged into Banshee’s master branch.
- Robert Carr started theming support and improved shapes capabilities in Glide.
- Ekiga got support to work in 16bpp mode . (GNOME bug 611308)
- gedit port to gsettings continued, with many plugins ported already.
- Ross Burton has been working on Randr related improvements of gnome-settings-daemon for Meego. This is happening in the new randr branch of gnome-settings-daemon.
- Yelp got basic printing support, and started being ported to gdbus.
- Matthias Clasen layed ground for new work on GTK+ 3.0 as he made it parallel-installable to 2.x.
- Matthew Barnes went forward replacing CamelObject by GObject in camel, evolution, evolution-data-server, evolution-mapi and evolution-exchange.
Many thanks to Dodji Seketeli who assembled most of this issue.