January 23, 2011
This week… 2604 commits, in 181 projects, by 266 happy hackers (and 446 were translation commits).
- The screensaver dialog screen has been made a bit more like the mockups by Jon McCann.
- Also the work he did to make gdm more like the plans for GNOME 3 has been merged by Ray Strode.
- Diego Escalante Urrelo started pushing his work for a new Epiphany download manager, in the downloads branch.
- Chandni Verma patched Empathy to display a typing icon alongside contacts in the MUC contact lists . (GNOME bug 609419)
- Jeff Schroeder added support for hiding notes, and notebook template notes, in Snowy.
- Matthias Clasen updated gnome-settings-daemon to use symbolic icons for its On Screen Display . (GNOME bug 639772)
- Paolo Bacchilega added focus stealing prevention code to file-roller . (GNOME bug 318108)
- The Adwaita theme engine has been moved from gtk-theme-engine-clearlooks to gnome-themes-standard.
- A “Generate Patch Series” pane has been added to the git plugin of Anjuta, by James Liggett.
- Marek Kašík added an initial implementation of a Printers panel to the control center.
- Pierre Wieser migrated nautilus-actions from GConf to GSettings.
- A new histogram view has been added to the sidebar of gthumb.
- David Zeuthen finished the port of gnome-disk-utility to GTK+ 3.
- The screencast recorded built in GNOME Shell has been switched to webm by Adel Gadllah . (GNOME bug 632595)
- Also in GNOME Shell Maxim Ermilov added the ability to extend a search to the web, using OpenSearch to define the search engines . (GNOME bug 623708)
January 16, 2011
This week… 2282 commits, in 191 projects, by 251 happy hackers (and 480 were translation commits).
- Giovanni Campagni created a gnome-shell-extensions repository, to host extensions modifying and extending GNOME Shell functionality and behavior, at the moment there are two extensions: alternate-tab (a replacement for Alt-Tab, allows to cycle between windows and does not group by application), and xandr-indicator (a systems status menu for rotating monitors)
- Andreas J. Guelzow fixed locale specific sotring in Gnumeric . (GNOME bug 638874)
- Philip Withnall had to limit Totem to displaying videos in the formats authorized by YouTube’s terms of service, Bastien Nocera had a blog post about this, YouTube playback will suck again.
- Paolo Bacchilega modified file-roller to use the new GTK+ app chooser dialog for the “Open With” command.
- Robert Ancell added a “set to default” button to dconf-editor.
- The Vala rewrite of glchess has been merged in gnome-games.
- In gnome-utils Cosimo Cecchi ported both the screenshot tool and the log viewer to GSettings.
- A keyboard layout selector has been added to the Shell, the indicator is shown when more than one group is loaded in X and it is not disabled in GSettings . (GNOME bug 600771)
- Jon McCann added some real informations to the new system info panel of gnome-control-center.
- Lucas Rocha added the ability to move multiple things at once in the board.
- The gedit-collaboration plugin has been updated to use the new asynchronous SASL API for authentication, by Jesse van den Kieboom.
- Luciana Fujii changed Cheese to use camerabin as pipeline base, in the “camerabin” branch.
- In Yelp Rupert Swarbrick added code to make links from strings of the form “blah(2)” in man pages.
- Philip Withnall improved the Google backend for contacts in evolution-data-server, to support categorising contacts in groups . (GNOME bug 566441)
- Tiffany Antopolski continued adding and filling pages for the new GNOME documentation, with a serie of pages about window managements in the Shell.
December 5, 2010
This week… 2430 commits, in 174 projects, by 220 happy hackers (and 194 were translation commits).
- Totem has been updated to hide its slider when streaming, to avoid people getting confused by the slider getting stuck in one location . (GNOME bug 549691)
- Dots (an interactive braille transcribing application) got support for Microsoft Word files.
- Robert Ancell made gnobots2 and gnomine from gnome-games work with GTK+3 and Cairo.
- Ray Strode added a new “maximized” tile to mutter, it allows the user to maximize their windows (in other words, tile with the edge panels) by dragging their window to the top edge of the monitor . (GNOME bug 630548)
- Paolo Borelli added support for gunichar to pygobject . (GNOME bug 623615)
- Francisco Rojas patched postr to throw an error if an image disappears during the upload process . (GNOME bug 537554)
- The overview relayout branch landed in GNOME Shell, as noted by Florian Müllner in a quick notice.
- Aleksander Morgado ported devhelp to the new new GApplication API.
- Evolution-data-server was changed to set CalDAV calendars read-only when the server is unreachable . (GNOME bug 530205)
- Paolo Bacchilega added a D-Bus service to file-roller to create and extract archives.
- Cosimo Cecchi ported the control center media panel to use the new GtkAppChooserButton.
- The Board got a simple mechanism to export object via HTTP.
- In gnome-session Vincent Untz moved the definition of a session from gconf to .desktop-like files.
- Nate Stedman started a new text system for ease, to provide a more featured replacement of ClutterText.
- The gtk-style-context branch of GTK+ landed, Carlos Garnacho uploaded some documentation, thmingTheming in GTK+, and Migrating from GtkStyle to GtkStyleContext.
- And thanks to the doc dev tools hackfest, demos and tutorials were commited to gnome-devel-docs, improved Mallard support landed in library-web, and the week ended with some mysterious content landing in the web-devel-2 module…
November 7, 2010
This week… 1795 commits, in 177 projects, by 252 happy hackers (and 317 were translation commits).
- Robert Ancell updated gnome-nettool to use gsettings (GNOME bug 625900), he also fixed autocompletion and dropdown history.
- Roberto Majadas pushed his win32 branch of nanny, the GNOME parental control application.
- A simple distribution upgrade tool using PackageKit has been started by Richard Hughes, he blogged about it in Preupgrade, meet PackageKit.
- Empathy has been fixed to to support multiple telephone fields . (GNOME bug 630421)
- Sandy Armstrong started an HTML5 offline note application built on jQuery Mobile, for snowy.
- The media-keys gnome-settings-daemon plugin has been ported to GDBus by Bastien Nocera . (GNOME bug 634104)
- Also in gnome-settings-daemon Rodrigo Moya added a settings key to disable boot time configuration of XRandR configuration . (GNOME bug 631388)
- Paolo Bacchilega added Windows Imaging Format (.wim, .swm) support to file-roller.
- Holger Berndt added the possibility to register an external bulk rename tool in Nautilus . (GNOME bug 306489)
- Jim Evins refined the barcode objects in glables, drawing a outline and using a more sophisticated test to determine if the cursor is on a barcode object.
- Johannes Shmid ported Anjuta to GTK+ 3, and started the work to port Glade, on the “offscreen-gtk3″ branch. Also in the GTK+ 3 port serie, Thomas H.P. Andersen ported gnotski (from gnome games) and Ignacio Casal Quinteiro ported gtranslator.
- In GTK+ 3 itself Alexander Larsson added GtkRadioGroup, a group of object having radiobutton like behaviour, and Bastien Nocera added support for a custom GtkAssistant page type . (GNOME bug 576498)
July 18, 2010
This week… 3273 commits, in 181 projects, by 295 happy hackers (and 427 were translation commits).
- Toms Bauģis added to hamster he possibility to click on a time bar in the overview to get to the detailed day view . (GNOME bug 623872)
- The Bastard Mode option of Quadrapassel has been renamed to “choose difficult blocks”, but it’s still a real bastard.
- Fernando Herrera added Mallard documentation to Dots, the interactive braille transcribing application.
- The calendar backend in evolution-mapi has been made fully asynchronous.
- Thomas Wood added region and city comboboxes to the new date and time control center panel.
- Aleksander Morgado contributed a feature to enable or disable selected books in devhelp . (GNOME bug 619202)
- Nate Stedman replaced the system() call by the usage of libarchive when saving documents in Ease.
- GThumb has been updated to preserve the EXIF data after lossless rotations.
- Vinagre has been migrated to GtkApplication . (GNOME bug 596733)
- Arx Cruz added a new password dialog to Zenity.
- The three-point-oh branch of cheese has been merged, rewriting Cheese in Vala and making advantage of Clutter.
- Paolo Bacchilega ported file-roller to use GSettings.
- Seed has been updated to build against the gtk 2 or gtk 3 versions of WebKit, at user choice.
- John Stowers created a gtk-3.0 branch of pygtk, to prepare a pygtk version that, while not based on gobject introspection, would still be a step towards GNOME 3.
- Aaron Bockover changed the Amazon proxy URIs of Banshee to some supporting geo-IP redirection, redirecting users to the Amazon stores appropriate for their countries.
- Benjamin Otte has been working hard on the “rendering-cleanup” branch of GTK+ 3, chopping much of the old drawing system, where cairo usage is more appropriate now.
- In GSOC land, Dragos Dena finished the snippets editor for Anjuta, Jamie Nicol almost finished implementing Last.fm radio playback in Rhythmbox, Luca Invernizzi completed the couchdb backend of Getting Things GNOME, and others also worked, of course…
December 27, 2009
This week… 1776 commits, in 177 projects, by 233 happy hackers (and 279 were translation commits).
- This was hackfest week for Epiphany, WebKitGTK+ (and other related modules), go and read Xan Lopez and Gustavo Noronha summaries. Or read on for my particular pick…
- Benjamin Otte added support for favicons the the epiphany tabs-reloaded extension.
- Content-Encoding support landed in libsoup (GNOME bug 522772)
- Custom user-agent support has been added.
- There is a new info bar widget at the top of the web view, used to ask if credentials have to be saved.
- Maxim Ermilov added command and path completion to the Alt+F2 dialog of GNOME Shell . (GNOME bug 597677)
- Also in GNOME Shell Colin Walters added an extension system, there is no UI yet, it will come later . (GNOME bug 599661)
- Johan Dahlin added a Makefile.introspection file to gobject-introspection, to be used by other projects, and modified pango and gtk+ to use it.
- After some discussion on nautilus-list and gnome-shell-list, Alexander Larsson changed Nautilus to use its browser mode by default.
- The GNOME Terminal preferences dialog got a new “unlimited scrollback” option (GNOME bug 599443).
- After a comment in last week digest edition, Paolo Bacchilega changed File Roller to use AES128 instead of AES256 as encryption type.
- Libgnomekbd got a new GkbdStatus widget implementing a status icon, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote about it in kbd stuff going threezero.
December 6, 2009
This week… 1756 commits, in 187 projects, by 230 happy hackers (and 277 were translation commits).
- Brasero got a way to switch between different project types, for example converting from an audio project to a data project . (GNOME bug 558440)
- The Evolution contact map plugin by Cédric Bosdonnat has been commited, Cédric announced the plugin in Maps for Evolution . (GNOME bug 361156)
- An iPhone port of Dasher has been pushed.
- Cheese saw ports from HAL to gudev (GNOME bug 594966), from EphySpinner to GtkSnipper (GNOME bug 598445), and from straight GStreamer to libcanberra (GNOME bug 603152).
- Support for callback functions has been pushed into gjs . (GNOME bug 563025)
- Paolo Bacchilega updated file roller to use an EggFileFormatChooser widget for file format selection.
- Diego Escalante Urrelo worked hard updating the API docs of Epiphany . (GNOME bug 503852)
- Support for compression has been added to the TIFF pixbuf loader . (GNOME bug 584700)
- Matt Kraai made the totem-pl-parser library thread-safe . (GNOME bug 572705)
- Jonathon Jongsma refactored error reporting in Evolution to separate error from dialogs . (GNOME bug 602963)
June 21, 2009
This week… 2062 commits, in 182 projects, by 247 happy hackers (and 281 were translation commits).
- In the “content-sniffing” branch, Gustavo Noronha Silva started to implement content sniffing in libsoup, including the HTML5 algorithm that sniffs content served as “text/plain” by web servers.
- Hubert Figuiere fixed a bug when printing date/tome values with 0 micro-second, making gnote timestamps compatible with tomboy . (GNOME bug 581844)
- File Roller gained support for lzip and xz compression formats (GNOME bug 579467, GNOME bug 582237).
- The “Palimpset” Disk Utility now uses the new GtkInfoBar to show job progress, there are two screenshots available ((1) and (2)).
- Stefan Walter started working on a DBus API to gnome-keyring secrets, it is currently developed in the “dbus-api” branch.
- Shaun McCance merged Mallard support into both Yelp and gnome-doc-utils.
- GTK+ gained support for special icons for XDG user dirs, this will allow themes to provide different icons for the Documents, Downloads, Music… folders . (GNOME bug 541276)
- Paul Cutler applied a serie of patches to GNOME User Docs (both User Guide and Accessibility Guide), fixing typos and updating them to match the current desktop reality.
- Rhythmbox command line control program (rhythmbox-client) got support for song rating . (GNOME bug 583108)
- Support for touchpad parameters has been added to gnome-settings-daemon (GNOME bug 578444), it still needs a matching patch to be applied in the control center to have a new Touchpad tab in the Mouse Preferences (GNOME bug 154029)